OT What do you do in Key West other

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
There is very limited beach in Key West. If you want beach there are better places. That being said, we love Key West. It’s just a different vibe but eating and drinking are the main things to do. Hemingways home tour, butterfly conservatory , Tortuga tour, fishing trip. You won’t get bored.

Dawgs_4_life

Jun 12, 2014
Hemingway's house is cool. The treasure museum was very interesting. See if you can catch a chicken. Just walk around and people watch.

dogmatic001

Sep 30, 2022
than eat, drink, and maybe go to the beach?

Fish. No matter what you're interested in, there are captains standing by for hire to help you do it. The Keys are one of the globe's greatest natural fisheries.

If you don't like to eat fish and just want to catch a few for pictures, that works. If you don't want to fish at all but just want to ride around, captains can help with that too.

Find a captain to take you on a half-day general species fishing trip. Tell them what you're interested in doing and they'll make it happen.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I agree w/ Dawgbite, very limited beach, just some patches here and there that are public and they are usually crowded. The rest are beachfront on private property and that's limited too. If beaches are what you're after you need to stop before getting into the keys. I personally was ready to move on after a day or two

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I would strike eating from the list. I mean, I would eat, but the food isn't particularly great unless you have somebody that really knows where to go. Probably dated information, but Latitudes was an exception as was Blue Haven. Other than the food not being great, it's basically a tropical'ish new orleans. Rent bikes or mopeds and bar hop some and people watch. Check out Hemingway's house. Get your pic at the southernmost point and end of hwy 1. I guess check out the strip clubs if you're into those. I would do a scuba trip if you're certified, snorkel if not. Charter fishing is a good option. Trip to the dry tortugas is supposedly worth it but I've never done it. I assume the jet ski tours would be fun but never done it. And the beach is fine. Definitely not where you want to go for a beach vacation, but it's certainly good enough to go and enjoy while you're there.

Reactions: Villagedawg

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I agree w/ Dawgbite, very limited beach, just some patches here and there that are public and they are usually crowded. The rest are beachfront on private property and that's limited too. If beaches are what you're after you need to stop before getting into the keys. I personally was ready to move on after a day or two
By day two I was done with Key West as well.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I would strike eating from the list. I mean, I would eat, but the food isn't particularly great unless you have somebody that really knows where to go. Probably dated information, but Latitudes was an exception as was Blue Haven. Other than the food not being great, it's basically a tropical'ish new orleans. Rent bikes or mopeds and bar hop some and people watch. Check out Hemingway's house. Get your pic at the southernmost point and end of hwy 1. I guess check out the strip clubs if you're into those. I would do a scuba trip if you're certified, snorkel if not. Charter fishing is a good option. Trip to the dry tortugas is supposedly worth it but I've never done it. I assume the jet ski tours would be fun but never done it. And the beach is fine. Definitely not where you want to go for a beach vacation, but it's certainly good enough to go and enjoy while you're there.
The best Cuban food in town shares space with a laundromat. Which worked out well for me since I had a bunch of fishy clothes when I got into town.

DawgInThe256

Feb 18, 2011
One of the sportswriters told a story about Leach taking him to look over the fence of the junkyard where all the rafts used by the Cuban refugees were discarded. I've never been to Key West, but I'd want to see that.

Car Ramrod.sixpack

Sep 21, 2017
When the wife and I go to the Keys we usually stay in Marathon because after one day we are over Key West.

Hemingway House should be top priority and try to make it out to Dry Tortugas.

Imadick

Jan 18, 2009
Been there a dozen or so times. I thought the food was good but that changes over time.(Haven’t been in 10 years). Scuba diving and sailing is great! I always went during lobster season and stayed on my boat in A&B marina or on the hook. Go to the sunset gathering at the west end. You will see some interesting stuff!! I even stayed there 2 months one time doing some work for the Montgomery county sheriff(not law but engineering). Folks there are different!

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
Been several times over the years, and I would advise scheduling a trip to the Dry Tortugas. I would also do that well in advance of the trip. To me Key West is just a cleaner version of New Orleans unless you go to the Dry Tortugas.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Tried Dry Tortugas. Had tickets on my birthday and the boat broke the night before. I thought there were some decent places to eat, but was kind of running low by the end of the week. I did the Leach bar tour that someone had shared here before - went to the 5-6 places he’d been known to hang out at. Mostly walked around and drank tbh

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
Eat and Drink. Get a house with a pool.

We went to Little Pearl last time we were there, and it was great. Seasonal fixed menu. So, you might want to glance and it’s a little pricey, but well worth it.

I was there this summer and it was miserably hot. The house didn’t have central air either. Poor little window units couldn’t keep up.

bolddogge

Aug 23, 2012
1. Something not mentioned yet... If you like snorkeling and have wanted to try scuba diving but don't want to go thru the PITA of certification, there's a company in Key West that does snuba tours. It's like scuba diving, except no certification is required, just a quick 10-15 minute lesson. A big tank is floating on the surface in some sort of inflatable rig and has a few long hoses with the regulators on the end. The bolddogge fam, party of 4, has always ends up with a rig to ourselves. Each rig has a guide outfitted in scuba gear to pull the floating tank along as well as lead, instruct, or help anyone that is having difficulties. Look it up on TripAdvisor and YouTube. I look for snuba whenever I'm in warm clear waters that have it.
2. Oh, and here's another vote for the Dry Tortugas. The most remote national park. I go back every time I'm in the keys.
3. I typically save my deep sea fishing for gulf trips where I drive. I don't want the extra pain of getting my catch back home from that far south.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
We went to Bahia Honda when we went to the Orange Bowl in 14. It’s up the road a bit, but there wasn’t many people, there is ample “beach”, and I had a blast Wade fly fishing. It was January so it may get more crowded other times a year.

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
The 6-toed cats at the Hemingway house.

Yes, those cats have 6 TOES !!

Oct 17, 2007
Just got back from Key West on a couples trip and had a great time. I second getting a house with a pool in old town. We took the sea plane out to Dry Tortugas which was fantastic. It is more expensive than the ferry (still expensive), but it is a great experience and maximizes your time. We also rented a kayak from Lazy Dog Adventures and kayaked through the mangrove tunnels which was a good change of pace. As for food, we went to Nine One Five the first night, which is great people watching (and our food was delicious). The second night we went to The Docks Restaurant + Raw Bar. It was in an odd area but was also a good place to sit out on the dock and enjoy an waterfront dinner. We had dinner at Latitudes and rode the ferry back with their manager, Art, who sent us to Cafe Marquesa the next night, and John, the manager there, took great care of us. We also at breakfast at the Garden Cafe multiple days and wish I could have their Cubanita every morning. All of the other things people have listed are things you should see - just wanted to add some unique options.

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Thanks everyone. Got the house with pool covered. Been looking at that dry tortugas trip too. All your suggestions sound awesome. Can’t wait.

FreeDawg

Oct 6, 2010
Funny KW story: On a trip I had a bottle of cologne break in my underwear/socks portion of my luggage. Soaked everything and the smell was unbearable in an enclosed area. We were staying at The Reach (which is nice to me) & I had to hand rinse all my boxers in the sink & hang them on the balcony to air dry. Probably 10 pairs strung up for everyone to behold. I’m sure the staff checked my reservation, Mississippi folks, checks out.

• Haha
Reactions: Darryl Steight

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
We were in the Bahamas, two couples, and fell in love with this mango Rum. Stayed drunk on it for a week . We get ready to fly home and we can carry four bottles each. They pack it in a cardboard briefcase that just holds four bottles. On the flight home we all smell mango, I just assumed we were sweating that **** out because we had probably drank a couple of gallons each. We get back to Atlanta and one of the bottles had broken in the overhead. Every suitcase in that overhead was soaked with mango rum. Luckily it was mostly ours and the other people thought it was funny. We smelled like a distillery when we made our connection

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
A few more pieces of advice:
1. Rent a scooter for a half day on your first or second day to get the lay of the land. Go get breakfast and lunch at those places farther away from your hotel then return it before you really start drinking.
2. Wear Msu stuff, I struck up a lot of conversations with people who were friends of CML.
3. If you like fishing and are staying anywhere with dock access bring a travel rod and go out to the docks at night. I never landed any but had a lot of fun fighting tarpon at our hotel dock. They bite anything and you can sight fish them under the lights. I found they liked 1/8oz. white and red popeye crappie jigs.

AleutianIslandawg

Oct 8, 2021
I've been to Alonzo's oyster bar a few times. Once went fishing and brought our catch there for them to cook for us. Good food, amazing scenery. It's on the water and you can see huge tarpon and even sharks.
Did a jet ski tour too, our guide pointed out famous landmarks* like Hulk Hogan's house, the MTV real world house, etc.
I've driven down twice from Miami. While there's certainly a bonus in flying straight to key west, it is a beautiful drive down.
I chartered with Fish Monster for offshore trips, I'd use them again.

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
Furthermore the beaches are rocky........They're not pristine like many think..........

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
if you drive through the keys on your way up or down then stop for a meal or a beer at Morada Bay in Islamorada

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login