OT. What is going on in lack of service from dealer service departments?

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I have experienced this with Ford and Jeep. I have a recall notice. Call to make an appointment.

Dealer: "Yes, come in tomorrow".

Next day: dealer: "we may get to it in two weeks."

me: "ok I'll be back in two weeks"

dealer: "no you have to leave it here. "

Why? I can go to my local shop and for minor repairs and get my car back in a day or two.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

Delmar

Jan 8, 2008
The last couple of days it’s because the software that virtually all of the dealers use has been hacked. They can’t get parts or do billing. If it’s before that then they think it’s because they can get away with it.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I experienced this with a Honda part recall several months ago.

Pure demand and lack of supply.

Took three months for a part to arrive.

Reactions: Maroon13

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
The ford situation was a year ago. I said forget it and watched YouTube videos and fixed the car myself.

The jeep was this week. They said their computer was down. Seems I hear that phrase a lot around Memphis. Conveniently gets people out of work.

But I know it is a legit problem for them. However they didn't bother to pick up the phone and say, "hey we can't get to your car because ....". Nope no call back nothing. Then we drive up to dealership. I told my wife. They aren't calling back they haven't touched the car in 3 days.

I was partly correct. They had not touched the car because their computer was Down. They didn't get our calls because.... their computer was Down.

Im shouting at the clouds I know. It's just the world we find ourselves in. Poor service at every turn for premium prices.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Loose gas cap light has been on in my Jeep for over a year. First trip they replaced the cap and reset the computer. Came back on in a week. Second trip replaced the sensor and reset the computer. Third trip replaced the sensor again because the first one must have been faulty. Fourth trip did a compression test no leak down so they wanted to replace sensor again, I refused because it’s not under warranty and I’m paying for all this. I called another dealer and they dont even have a certified mechanic. Went back to original dealer and raised hell, they agreed to replace fuel filler tube and cover the cost, BUT, only mechanic they have is out with shoulder surgeries and won’t be back for three months, come back in three months. Went back in three months, mechanic is back but person who originally agreed to cover cost is no longer there and nobody has any recollection of covering the cost. I go buy a sensor, $60, and take all of ten minutes replacing it. They were charging me over $600 each time. Bought an OBDII thing and reset the the light. Lasted about a week. Light is still on. Automotive service departments are crap.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Those of us not using CDK are in good shape. We are doing business as normal. I've spoken with other Ford dealers who are in a nightmare situation with CDK. They are unable to do ANY business bc they can't access the cloud.

MarkDallas

Aug 27, 2014
Same. Wait times are ridiculous. You'd think that with the way new car sales are going, they'd be focusing on customer service.

Also I asked about getting a timing belt replaced. They gave me the labor and said I had to go to the parts department to get the parts quote.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Same. Wait times are ridiculous. You'd think that with the way new car sales are going, they'd be focusing on customer service.

Also I asked about getting a timing belt replaced. They gave me the labor and said I had to go to the parts department to get the parts quote.
Slightly off topic, but slightly on yours. I used to go to an express oil change place. During the supply chain issues, they would have problems finding my filter and said to go to a parts store and come back. First couple of times obliged. I finally got tired of having to buy the supplies for this “express“ place and found another down the road. Oddly, the new location always seems to have my filter. They must have a magic supply box that the other doesn’t.

• Haha
Reactions: Anon1697564126

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
I had similar issues lately and am guessing it’s due to lack of sufficient people.

I bought my daughter’s car a little over a year ago and wanted to get a detailed service/inspection before the warranty expires. So about a month ago, I called the dealership in D’Iberville 3 times in 1.5 days to schedule an appointment for service. I was realistic going in and asked for an appointment “a week or two from now” to get on the schedule on a Friday to fit my daughter’s schedule. Each time I was told that the “scheduling manager” would have to call me back and each time, he/she never did. The second and third times I called, I mentioned that I had already called and was apologized to profusely and promised it would just be a minute. Never called me back.

So at this point I’m angry and call the dealer in ‘Goula to set up an appointment with them instead. Goes much better, get a Friday appointment the following week, I’m good. The next Friday we’re getting ready to leave to take the car for service and I get a call telling me that my appointment is being cancelled because they’re shorthanded and that their backlog is overwhelming them. I get angry again after they tell me that they’re not sure when they will be caught up and that someone will call me the next week and reschedule. I hang up on that poor girl…

So I say 17 it and decide to run the car to the local 10-min place for a least an oil change. Takes 2-hours because one dude quit without notice the day before and another dude called in sick that morning. The owner had called his wife to come help and they were the only ones working.

I’m almost to the point of not even getting mad about lack of customer service anymore. Basically I just go into every situation now expecting to get 17ed…

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Dealerships have evolved to be excuse factories. The difference between the level of service I receive now vs 15 years ago is remarkable. I can't think of another industry that has undergone such a sharp change in their business culture as a dealer service department.

Reactions: Anon1665155225

TaleofTwoDogs

Jun 1, 2004
Dealerships have evolved to be excuse factories. The difference between the level of service I receive now vs 15 years ago is remarkable. I can't think of another industry that has undergone such a sharp change in their business culture as a dealer service department.
Well, let me think about that for a minute, there's restaurants, grocer stores, DIY box stores, doctors & dentist, cable companies, Walmart, contractors, government offices, airlines, hotel staff, tire stores or just about anybody that serves the public.

Curby

Aug 23, 2012
Grey Daniels Brandon has had a difficult time diagnosing problems lately, and has had people's vehicles for several days up to 2 weeks.

Wesson Bulldog

Nov 3, 2015
Hell, Ford can't diagnose its own problems right now. It is a cluster **** in some cases. Too many damn modules!

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
For you guys with Jeep Wranglers, get rid of them before the warranty is up. JKs are huge POSs, I understand JLs are worse.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
For you guys with Jeep Wranglers, get rid of them before the warranty is up. JKs are huge POSs, I understand JLs are worse.
I’ve probably owned a dozen plus Jeeps in my lifetime. I’ve had problems with two of them and the latest problem is just aggravating more than serious. People buy Jeeps thinking they are a family SUV, they not, it’s a 17ing Jeep. It rides rough, it’s loud, it get horrible gas mileage, it’s cold in the winter and it’s hot in the summer. It’s kinda like that slick spot between a womens legs, it’s not worth what is cost but I wouldn’t give it up for nothing.

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
So does all the poor service from dealerships put more pressure on the legislature to undo their internet purchase law on new vehicles? If you can't go back to the brick and mortar store for dependable service, what good is it?

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I’ve probably owned a dozen plus Jeeps in my lifetime. I’ve had problems with two of them and the latest problem is just aggravating more than serious. People buy Jeeps thinking they are a family SUV, they not, it’s a 17ing Jeep. It rides rough, it’s loud, it get horrible gas mileage, it’s cold in the winter and it’s hot in the summer. It’s kinda like that slick spot between a womens legs, it’s not worth what is cost but I wouldn’t give it up for nothing.
Nothing about all that, it's that the engines in the JKs and later are a POS. Mine and everyone I know have expensive engine issues. Thankfully some poor sap took mine off my hands. If I get another, I won't keep it past 50k miles or 75k at the absolute most. I'm reading and hearing horror stories about the JLs and Gladiators. I consider anything that doesn't roll for 200k+ trouble free miles a POS.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
You can remove the sarcastrics.

If a Toyota tundra can survive 10 years in the delta on a cotton/corn/soybean farm, that mfer can survive anything. We’ve got two pre 2022 and they’re the best f ing trucks we’ve ever had on this farm for 5 generations.
The 24s have a major engine issue. Lots of new Tundras with blown up motors after only a couple thousand miles.

Reactions: Anon1697564126

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
The wife has a Grand Cherokee. We are getting a dash error with the lane assist. If I drove it daily, I would turn off the lane assist and ignore it. However wife wants it fixed since the vehicle is new(ish). I'm not sure I can YouTube fix this one.

BrunswickDawg

Aug 22, 2012
Nothing about all that, it's that the engines in the JKs and later are a POS. Mine and everyone I know have expensive engine issues. Thankfully some poor sap took mine off my hands. If I get another, I won't keep it past 50k miles or 75k at the absolute most. I'm reading and hearing horror stories about the JLs and Gladiators. I consider anything that doesn't roll for 200k+ trouble free miles a POS.
Which is why I love my '94 YJ daily driver -
Leaky, temperamental, but has 134k miles and completely analog. No dealers, just me, a parts store and YouTube keep it running.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Took my wife's Jeep in at the end of May ... 2 years old and had a couple of minor recalls and a faulty rear locker sensor that was out. They gave me a loaner Jeep Gladiator and fixed the Wrangler in 24 hours. Seemed perfectly reasonable to me, but it was before this software hack. I did have to wait about 2 weeks before they had the loaner available.

Feb 25, 2018
Which is why I love my '94 YJ daily driver -
Leaky, temperamental, but has 134k miles and completely analog. No dealers, just me, a parts store and YouTube keep it running.
Same here although it’s not my daily driver. My ‘95 YJ runs like a top and there’s nothing on it I can’t fix myself by watching YouTube and ordering parts on the interwebs. The CDK hack is the culprit causing dealerships grief over the past week. Over half the dealerships use it for sales and parts departments.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
I had a recall on my Frontier. Called the Nissan dealership, scheduled an appointment for 9 AM and showed up. They gave me a ride home and said they would call when done. They called later that afternoon, picked it up and went home. Went like clockwork, no problems. The recall was for a pawl gear in the transmission that may cause the tranny to slip out of PARK and roll away. I had no such issues.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
The 4.0 liter 6 cylinder in the YJ's and TJ's was the best engine ever put in a Jeep. The 3.8 in the early JK's had major issues. The 3.6 was an improvement but still isn't a great engine. I'm waiting for the new Hurricane 6 coming hopefully next year and I'll be in the market to trade. Wife recently bought a new car, I went against everything I've ever believed and bought every extended warranty they offered. The windshield is even warranted against breakage. These things are too complicated and expensive to work on with my checkbook.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I’ve had no problems with Hyundai in Tupelo, my wife’s had a Palisade last 4 years. They’ve been pretty good about taking care of everything we’ve needed.

Difference may be they seem to have put a huge focus on the service department. My guess is they make as much money on service as they do selling cars, there’s always 5-10 people there every time I go.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I’ve had no problems with Hyundai in Tupelo, my wife’s had a Palisade last 4 years. They’ve been pretty good about taking care of everything we’ve needed.

Difference may be they seem to have put a huge focus on the service department. My guess is they make as much money on service as they do selling cars, there’s always 5-10 people there every time I go.
Most Hyundai dealerships are pretty solid in the service department from what I’ve seen. I get my wife’s Palisade serviced at Homer Skelton in Olive Branch and it’s always less than an hour and they’re done. Place is full of service techs.

Landers GMC service department is still pretty decent in Southaven.

Maroon Pug

Nov 5, 2022
You can remove the sarcastrics.

If a Toyota tundra can survive 10 years in the delta on a cotton/corn/soybean farm, that mfer can survive anything. We’ve got two pre 2022 and they’re the best f ing trucks we’ve ever had on this farm for 5 generations.
I'm a 'yota fanboy through and through, but the majority of dealership services are crap, no matter the logo on its sign.

KentuckyDawg13

Aug 15, 2006
Loose gas cap light has been on in my Jeep for over a year. First trip they replaced the cap and reset the computer. Came back on in a week. Second trip replaced the sensor and reset the computer. Third trip replaced the sensor again because the first one must have been faulty. Fourth trip did a compression test no leak down so they wanted to replace sensor again, I refused because it’s not under warranty and I’m paying for all this. I called another dealer and they dont even have a certified mechanic. Went back to original dealer and raised hell, they agreed to replace fuel filler tube and cover the cost, BUT, only mechanic they have is out with shoulder surgeries and won’t be back for three months, come back in three months. Went back in three months, mechanic is back but person who originally agreed to cover cost is no longer there and nobody has any recollection of covering the cost. I go buy a sensor, $60, and take all of ten minutes replacing it. They were charging me over $600 each time. Bought an OBDII thing and reset the the light. Lasted about a week. Light is still on. Automotive service departments are crap.
It's a jeep thing.

Reactions: dorndawg

DeeEE!

Dec 19, 2023
This has been an ongoing issue, that appears to have gotten worse over time. It takes longer to get anything back or done these days. Doctor's Office, Service Industry. Anything. You have to stay on folks and bug them daily to get attention. No one is proactive and reaches out. Good customer service is exceptionally hard to find.

Problem is I am seeing this over all trades. Took our SUV to a local Ford dealership and it sat for Three weeks. They had hundreds of cars and they just didn't have the capacity. I even called daily and they would never answer. Finally had to go up in person and find out what was going on. In their shoes they are going to deal with whoever is in front of them at the moment.

I had a fence that needed work, called the company twice, no response. Finally got fed up, reached out to a friend, got a guys direct number that works for the company and went that angle.

You basically have to friend yourself in order to get anything done these days. No one cares anymore. Then when I think about it, I am guilty myself. There's hundreds of emails daily, and I am guilty of getting bogged down. Sometimes I will forget about something I meant to do and have to dig it back up. There are only so many hours in the day, so many request. In my field, I am going to prioritize the projects and jobs that make the most money for the company and does the most good. Everyone else does the same.

I honestly think it comes down to information overload and everyone doing more with less. We have become so efficient with technology we are now inefficient. Sometimes less options, less information meant things were quicker and easier. Now everything is complicated across all industries. Add that with the lack of anyone who wants to work or give a dang, and we end up with the society we have today.

Reactions: dorndawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
This has been an ongoing issue, that appears to have gotten worse over time. It takes longer to get anything back or done these days. Doctor's Office, Service Industry. Anything. You have to stay on folks and bug them daily to get attention. No one is proactive and reaches out. Good customer service is exceptionally hard to find.

Problem is I am seeing this over all trades. Took our SUV to a local Ford dealership and it sat for Three weeks. They had hundreds of cars and they just didn't have the capacity. I even called daily and they would never answer. Finally had to go up in person and find out what was going on. In their shoes they are going to deal with whoever is in front of them at the moment.

I had a fence that needed work, called the company twice, no response. Finally got fed up, reached out to a friend, got a guys direct number that works for the company and went that angle.

You basically have to friend yourself in order to get anything done these days. No one cares anymore. Then when I think about it, I am guilty myself. There's hundreds of emails daily, and I am guilty of getting bogged down. Sometimes I will forget about something I meant to do and have to dig it back up. There are only so many hours in the day, so many request. In my field, I am going to prioritize the projects and jobs that make the most money for the company and does the most good. Everyone else does the same.

I honestly think it comes down to information overload and everyone doing more with less. We have become so efficient with technology we are now inefficient. Sometimes less options, less information meant things were quicker and easier. Now everything is complicated across all industries. Add that with the lack of anyone who wants to work or give a dang, and we end up with the society we have today.
We've gotten so efficient we can't get anything done

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login