OT: What weed is this?

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
It's not Bubba Kush or my neighbors would have smoked it by now. I want to smoke it with some herbicide that works in my centipede yard, but so far Celcius and Certainty haven't done much to it. Any idea what it is and what herbicide might work (other than glysophate)? It lies flat and spreads out from a center with what look like tentacles then it digs into the soil and kills the centipede and anything else it covers. It's new and might be harder to eradicate than Dallis Grass. I might see if Atrazine, tenacity or MSM does anything. Any recommendations on an herbicide to take it out?

Attachments

• IMG_4356.jpg
    IMG_4356.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4355.jpg
    IMG_4355.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 21

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
It’s hard to tell from the photo but it looks like it might be goose grass. That stuff is ridiculously tough to kill. We have some in a couple of soybean fields and have to throw everything at it this year to keep in check.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Where do you live? Looks like grass to me. Can’t tell much from the pics
South Louisiana. I thought it might be goose grass but it's not. The first pic is of it lying flat and the second is where I pulled up a couple of those tentacle things that are dug in. It spreads quickly and kills everything it covers. It showed up in my yard a year ago and I've just pulled it up when I find it.

RotorHead

Mar 26, 2019
We’ve got it in our back yard pretty bad. I’ve gotten to where I just take a landscape rake to the yard prior to cutting grass. Now I just have a bunch of dead spots all over it. I’m waiting on my St Augustine to take over

Anon1704414204

Jan 4, 2024
I'm in Fort Worth and I thought that was Dallis Grass based on the pics. Might have to say 17 it and use Roundup.

M R DAWGS

Apr 13, 2018
Sorry to hijack, but anyone else dealt with or have info on Japanese stilt grass? It is running rampant along some ditches and creeks at my hunting land. I sprayed it this weekend before it seeded out, but have read that the seeds will live for years on the soil. So it’ll likely be back next year.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Update: Still not sure what it is but Quinclorac hurts it, might even kill it, with one treatment. Two or three would likely kill it. But that's only good on Bermuda and it kills centipede

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
It's not Bubba Kush or my neighbors would have smoked it by now. I want to smoke it with some herbicide that works in my centipede yard, but so far Celcius and Certainty haven't done much to it. Any idea what it is and what herbicide might work (other than glysophate)? It lies flat and spreads out from a center with what look like tentacles then it digs into the soil and kills the centipede and anything else it covers. It's new and might be harder to eradicate than Dallis Grass. I might see if Atrazine, tenacity or MSM does anything. Any recommendations on an herbicide to take it out?
that is really hard to tell from the overhead picture....maybe one from the side .....could be in the nutgrass family, just not headed....You could try sulfentrazone, which kills nutgrass, but has several other weeds it will touch as well.....I was going to recommend Celsius, but you said that didnt work....the Celsius label for weeds it affects changes with different rates, FYI....for instance, Crabgrass is not on the label for Celcius at low and medium rates, but is on the label for higher rates.....a different pic could help though

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Update for those interested: It's King Ranch Bluestem. Two options: Glyphosate or dig it up.

Reactions: aTotal360

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Just invite a bunch of your buddies who golf over one afternoon. By a few dozen foam golf balls and a few cases of beer. Put a foam golf ball on each weed and tell them they get a beer for every five divots. Buy a couple of bags of play sand to fill the divots.

Reactions: eckie1

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
There is an app named PlantNet that is very good at identifying Flora. Just take a good picture with your phone.

Turfdoc992

Oct 3, 2022
Given your description and the fact that Qunichlorac seems to slow it down I am thinking torpedograss. Sethoxydim is another treatment in centipedegrass but is also only offers suppression not control and this only works in centipede, Sethoxydim will hurt bermuda, zoysia and St. Agustine. Topedograss is a tough turf weed. If your centipede is otherwise strong I would use N sparingly on the centipede as this will favor the centipede over the torpedograss.

uptowndawg

Jul 15, 2010
first pic looks related to crabgrass it’s not goose grass. Goose is white near the root like a green onion. But I bet whatever it is it won’t like quinclorac.

Second pic looks like wild Bermuda. I usually pull the most offending clumps by hand before fertilizing and my zoysia will overtake it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login