OT: What's going on in Gulfport?.......

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Fox News has done 2 to 3 stories about the Navy base there having to put up shipping containers to keep stray bullets from hitting residences on the base. Said gun violence has risen many times in the last few years from drive-by and gang related shootings. I was down in Biloxi for the MSU-ULL baseball game in March and didn't get a feel for that at all. Drove all up and down from Ocean Springs to Waveland and felt very safe. Had no idea the shooting sprees were happening like that. They got a bad Mayor and/or PD there?

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
Knowing how the military works, I’m sure one stray bullet found its way onto the base, so they came up with a knee jerk reaction to “solve the problem”.
Gosh, I hope so. I love the MS Gulf Coast. Best place IMO for families to bring young children to the beach. Very calm waves most of the time and no rip currents to worry about the kids wandering in to. Lots of nice volleyball courts too. Great place for a picnic and enjoy some sand and seafood for those who don't get to very often. I plan to make the Hancock-Whitney Classic every year as long as they have it. Be nice to get Texas or OK to come down there for a twin killin'.....except Lemon would never do that this year, as they are going to be looking for a lot of easy wins to bloat our record with. This will likely be our worst OOC schedule ever. Lemon got to keep that job you know!

Requiem For A Dawg

Dec 3, 2008
Fox News has done 2 to 3 stories about the Navy base there having to put up shipping containers to keep stray bullets from hitting residences on the base. Said gun violence has risen many times in the last few years from drive-by and gang related shootings. I was down in Biloxi for the MSU-ULL baseball game in March and didn't get a feel for that at all. Drove all up and down from Ocean Springs to Waveland and felt very safe. Had no idea the shooting sprees were happening like that. They got a bad Mayor and/or PD there?
I live on the coast and this story is news to me. I haven’t seen any news about this locally. Sounds more like sensationalism by the national news more-so than a real problem.
However, that naval base is in the hood, so it’s not surprising of true.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I live on the coast and this story is news to me. I haven’t seen any news about this locally. Sounds more like sensationalism by the national news more-so than a real problem.
I haven’t heard that either and go by the north or south side of the base regularly to take my wife to Memorial. Both areas of that really suck. I’ve been by there probably a hundred times and have never been like “oh **** I gotta get out of here.” Now that I’m thinking about it, the east side is in a ****** area too. I’ll have to drive around some time next week and see if this is legit.
ETA - I’m not as familiar with all of Biloxi like I am Gulfport, but there are some really bad areas in GP. People just don’t go to there areas unless they have to. I used to do sub work for Coast Electric in the summers and had to go into peoples back yards. They were told in advance via mail that we’d be coming. I had a few encounters in Gulfport that made me not return back. Some guys I worked with had guns pulled on them before simply for doing their jobs.

Last edited:

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
My in-laws have said that Gulfport is in the news more for shootings lately. I haven’t heard that story. Sounds made up to me. Violence and gun violence are higher since the Covid lockdown pretty much everywhere. Gulfport is just another place that is probably less safe than it was 3 years ago.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It's true, but it's just a small area on the south side where some base housing is, and beyond the fence, it's wide open to adjacent neighborhoods.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
I haven’t heard that either and go by the north or south side of the base regularly to take my wife to Memorial. Both areas of that really suck. I’ve been by there probably a hundred times and have never been like “oh **** I gotta get out of here.” Now that I’m thinking about it, the east side is in a ****** area too. I’ll have to drive around some time next week and see if this is legit.
ETA - I’m not as familiar with all of Biloxi like I am Gulfport, but there are some really bad areas in GP. People just don’t go to there areas unless they have to. I used to do sub work for Coast Electric in the summers and had to go into peoples back yards. They were told in advance via mail that we’d be coming. I had a few encounters in Gulfport that made me not return back. Some guys I worked with had guns pulled on them before simply for doing their jobs.
I haven’t heard of these shootings either. East Biloxi has some semi-sketchy areas, but not as sketchy as some of the areas in Gulfport. I wouldn’t walk around the seabee base area at night, but I drive by there often during the day and have never felt threatened.

There have been a lot of cars stolen in Gautier recently, but it is teenagers boosting them and then taking them on joy rides to intentionally crash them.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
I live not too far from the base and the area north of the railroad tracks has always been sketchy...

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
This will likely be our worst OOC schedule ever. Lemon got to keep that job you know!
You saying it can get worse than 17-37 Louisiana Monroe, 20-27 Valpo, 20-31 AR St, 17-36 UAB, 23-28 Southern U, 14-37 North AL, and the other usual suspects i.e. UAPB, MS Valley St, Jackson St, Grambling, UT Martin, etc etc etc????

Reactions: Ghostman and patdog

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
Drive down Pass Rd. or 28th and tell me you feel perfectly safe. The SeaBee base is in a really bad part of town. My mom refused to drive to or from Memorial to Long Beach after dark.

On the bright side, there are a ton of white-tails running around the west side of the base.

Last edited:

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
It's true. They're stacked like 3-high. I saw them and knew exactly what they were for. Base housing backs up to a pretty sketchy neighborhood.

Reactions: Ghostman

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
The area around the sea bees has always been a little sketch but it's not too bad. The shootings is an uptick everywhere near a hood it seems like. People just have **** for brains now and don't think about anything before they do it. No respect for life either.

Reactions: TaleofTwoDogs

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
It’s not just the coast, I live in NE Ms and the frequency of news stories about shootings has certainly increased in the past few years. I have a relative that works ER in Columbus and they say that the news reported shootings are just a fraction of the actual shootings.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
The base is in the worst neighborhood between Moss Point and Slidell. Most of Gulfport is fine, though a tad sketchier than most of the Coast.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The base is in the worst neighborhood between Moss Point and Slidell. Most of Gulfport is fine, though a tad sketchier than most of the Coast.
I think it's actually the second worst one. There is an area north of the base that sort of straddles 49 that is pretty rough, particularly on the east side.

Gulfport definitely seems to have a growing sketchy area. I love all of the coast and think it's Mississippi's biggest asset, but from the Bay to Ocean Springs, Gulfport has the most challenges on that front. When I first started spending time on the coast, I didn't feel like any sketchiness ifringed on anywhere you actually needed to go except for I guess the hospital. Downtown wasn't exactly hopping but felt extremely safe to me. Mississippi City area wasn't the prettiest looking area, but felt extremely safe. Maybe it's just me, but when I go down there now, those areas have a very different feel to me. Still feel safe enough, but starting to have a feel where I wouldn't want my wife there alone after dark, and I don't think I would have had that feeling at all 10 or 15 years ago.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
I think it's actually the second worst one. There is an area north of the base that sort of straddles 49 that is pretty rough, particularly on the east side.

Gulfport definitely seems to have a growing sketchy area. I love all of the coast and think it's Mississippi's biggest asset, but from the Bay to Ocean Springs, Gulfport has the most challenges on that front. When I first started spending time on the coast, I didn't feel like any sketchiness ifringed on anywhere you actually needed to go except for I guess the hospital. Downtown wasn't exactly hopping but felt extremely safe to me. Mississippi City area wasn't the prettiest looking area, but felt extremely safe. Maybe it's just me, but when I go down there now, those areas have a very different feel to me. Still feel safe enough, but starting to have a feel where I wouldn't want my wife there alone after dark, and I don't think I would have had that feeling at all 10 or 15 years ago.
I picture Gulfport as going the way of the other MS cities, poverty and crime metastasizing into an ungovernable mess surviving off inherited infrastructure.

It wouldn't surprise me that there's some The Shield type arrangement within the PD and gangs that lowlifes are left alone so long as they stay in their area. Always surprises me that the thugs don't travel 3 blocks to the nice neighborhoods. That doesn't happen anywhere else.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
That said, the drive along 90 from the Pass to Biloxi is pretty nice, with lots of new condos, restaurants, etc. The Aquarium in Gulfport is a first class facility and Edgewater is an actual functioning mall.

Reactions: Uncle Ruckus

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
I haven’t heard of these shootings either. East Biloxi has some semi-sketchy areas, but not as sketchy as some of the areas in Gulfport. I wouldn’t walk around the seabee base area at night, but I drive by there often during the day and have never felt threatened.

There have been a lot of cars stolen in Gautier recently, but it is teenagers boosting them and then taking them on joy rides to intentionally crash them.
I’ve drove all around there at night leaving the hospital and haven’t ever seen anything, but I also know not to spend any more time than I have to.

Jul 5, 2020
I lived in Gulfport from 2003-2005 (left riiiiiight before Katrina) and that area around the Seabee base was a dump. That hasn't changed very much, apparently. It looks like the only major difference in this story is that the subsidized housing right across has increased gang/gun activity. A lot of times, it can be 5-10 people doing all of the gun bullsh*t. I'd bet that this is the case here.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
Knowing how the military works, I’m sure one stray bullet found its way onto the base, so they came up with a knee jerk reaction to “solve the problem”.
What is truly embarrassing is the so-called skill set the Seabees bring as a warfighter are construction skills. Why can they not design and build some kind of deflection device or a wall? I understand military construction is a Congressional action and the base would not want to sacrifice a MILCON project for a wall. But, between the Builder Schoolhouse and the Naval Mobile Construction Battalions, they should have the labor to construct a barrier. To be a Civil Engineer Corps officer, you need to be an engineer so they could in theory design something. They could scrape enough money up for materials and let the Seabees do what they are paid for.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
What is truly embarrassing is the so-called skill set the Seabees bring as a warfighter are construction skills. Why can they not design and build some kind of deflection device or a wall? I understand military construction is a Congressional action and the base would not want to sacrifice a MILCON project for a wall. But, between the Builder Schoolhouse and the Naval Mobile Construction Battalions, they should have the labor to construct a barrier. To be a Civil Engineer Corps officer, you need to be an engineer so they could in theory design something. They could scrape enough money up for materials and let the Seabees do what they are paid for.
I think seabees may have limitations on what they can build beyond building for training. I know they are very limited in any activities they can do off base. I think the limitation is aimed at not antagonizing the local contracting community by taking work from them. I think they may have a similar deal on base that is couched as safety but is maybe to preserve work for federal contractors?

PBDog

Oct 1, 2021
Gosh, I hope so. I love the MS Gulf Coast. Best place IMO for families to bring young children to the beach. Very calm waves most of the time and no rip currents to worry about the kids wandering in to. Lots of nice volleyball courts too. Great place for a picnic and enjoy some sand and seafood for those who don't get to very often. I plan to make the Hancock-Whitney Classic every year as long as they have it. Be nice to get Texas or OK to come down there for a twin killin'.....except Lemon would never do that this year, as they are going to be looking for a lot of easy wins to bloat our record with. This will likely be our worst OOC schedule ever. Lemon got to keep that job you know!
it’s a damn shame that we have to give up land to animals and avoid. if that’s the cases then build a big prison there and house these said animals

Jul 5, 2020
Found the container wall on Google maps.

And that brave Google driver took it from the HUD side!

As an aside, I followed the poster above's link to Tiger Droppings and saw a comment that one of them made- "I bet if they put job applications all over those containers they'd get left alone." Gotta love the Cajuns from time to time.

travis.sixpack

Mar 3, 2008
I think seabees may have limitations on what they can build beyond building for training. I know they are very limited in any activities they can do off base. I think the limitation is aimed at not antagonizing the local contracting community by taking work from them. I think they may have a similar deal on base that is couched as safety but is maybe to preserve work for federal contractors?
The military does very little of their own construction domestically. The shipping container wall was probably something they could do temporarily while they go through the laborious government contract process.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Texas barriers would look better and be easier than conex boxes, plus the more artistic seabees could decorate them for pride month (I realize they aleady had the conexs on site). Heck hescos would be easier, hell there’s plenty of sand to fill them.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login