OT: When are movie directors going to understand about sport movies? (The Long Game)

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Netflix has a new movie named The Long Game and it is about a group of Mexican-American young men who won the Texas state golf championship in 1957. It was a fine story. A little formulaic but it pulled at your emotions. However they got the 5 most unathletic actors to play the parts of the players and it just ruined the most dramatic parts of the movie. Not one of them could swing a golf club at all. You would actually see them top it or shank it and they would act as if they just hit a gem.

Hollywood has done better over the years of getting actors who at least look like they could play the sport they are portraying. Why do the artistic people still think how the actors move in sports is not important? I can't imagine they would do a biopic on Judy Garland and have an actress that can't sing or one about Gene Kelly and get someone that can't dance.

To add to this insult of athleticism, in the end, when they did the concluding info on each player, they had actual old movie footage of the guys swinging a golf club. All these guys had lovely swings and could obviously play. The act of playing the sport is important.

Last edited:

was21

May 29, 2007
Netflix has a new movie named The Long Game and it is about a group of Mexican-American young men who won the Texas state golf championship in 1957. It was a fine story. A little formulaic but it pulled at your emotions. However they got the 5 most unathletic actors to play the parts of the players and it just ruined the most dramatic parts of the movie. Not one of them could swing a golf club at all. You would actually see them top it or shank it and they would act as if they just hit a gem.

Hollywood has done better over the years of getting actors who at least look like they could play the sport they are portraying. Why do the artistic people still think how the actors move in sports is not important? I can't imagine they would do a biopic on Judy Garland and have an actress that can't sing or one about Gene Kelly and get someone that can't dance.

To add to this insult of athleticism, in the end, when they did the concluding info on each player, they had actual old movie footage of the guys swinging a golf club. All these guys had lovely swings and could obviously play. The act of playing the sport is important.
Slap Shot was one the better sports films of all time. It also had hockey players who could play hockey.

jethreauxdawg

Dec 20, 2010

Thought the same while watching this movie. I really don’t think it would be that hard to teach an actor to make a good enough golf swing. There was no attempt at that for this movie

Reactions: Anon1697564126

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Slap Shot was one the better sports films of all time. It also had hockey players who could play hockey.
Yes. There are plenty were the director thought it was important. Eight Men Out, Field of Dreams, For Love of the Game, Tin Cup even Major League was presentable.

Of course a hockey movie with people that couldn't skate could be hilarious.

was21

May 29, 2007
Another one that had professional football players was the film Number One. Only exception was Charleton Heston who actually looked silly trying to throw a football spiral. A lot of Saints players at the time were in it.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Yes. There are plenty were the director thought it was important. Eight Men Out, Field of Dreams, For Love of the Game, Tin Cup even Major League was presentable.

Of course a hockey movie with people that couldn't skate could be hilarious.
3 of those had Costner and he is just an athlete. It’s a shame Kurt Russell never had a baseball movie. Sheen is hilarious to me because they said he took roids and worked with a pitching coach and actually got into the 80’s. He was also a pitcher in high school. Tom Cruise is the one that is hilarious to me. He is insanely trained but so unathletic.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008

Danny Noonan could swing it. And Lacey Underall (RIP) had impressive upper body strength.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I agree Bruce. It drives me nuts when they can’t even halfway look like what they’re portraying

You would think that as insanely fit as everybody is, they wouldn't have trouble finding actors to play the sport they portray. Golf has to be difficult because you're trying to swing the club precisely, but how hard is that? It shows that physical fitness has nothing to do with athleticism

Oct 17, 2023

We just watched this movie a couple of nights ago and my wife said the same thing. She said they should have started filming a month later and had those kids taking golf lessons every day for that month so that the swings would look realistic whether the ball went where it should or not could be edited.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
Did you see that guy on some morning talk show. He was pissed this was the take they used. He threw a 30 yard dime on TV.
I didn't see it but I remember articles about that guy defending his manhood. I don't even know who that guy is or the movie. I googled football throw movie gif to find it bc it's so terrible

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Tom Cruise is the one that is hilarious to me. He is insanely trained but so unathletic.
Tome Cruise is likely the most athletic actor who has ever acted.

Gordon Ramsey Idiot GIF

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Being great at both athletics and acting isn't difficult, I also don't know why there aren't more people who do both.

1721312825488.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Darryl Steight

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
I recently watched "The Boys in the Boat" and thought the best RECENT sports movie I've seen.

Last edited:

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Did anyone see the last season of Fargo. The ******** husband that was supposed to be trying to get on tour had one of the absolute worst swings I have ever seen.

Reactions: AlCoDog

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Did anyone see the last season of Fargo. The ******** husband that was supposed to be trying to get on tour had one of the absolute worst swings I have ever seen.
Yea, where he was practicing in the garage right? I can't remember the story line though.

Reactions: mcdawg22

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Related gripe. Actors pretending to play the guitar.

KILL ME
YES. The weird thing is that is another artistic act and usually that is taken into account more often. Tom Hanks did such a great job with That Thing You Do in that he made those guys practice as a band for a month or so before any filming. Cameron Crowe on Almost Famous also had the band work with his wife at the time on rock and roll stage presence. Even Ralph Macchio in Crossroads did a bunch of practicing before the movie. They looked like they could play, whether they actually did or not.

Reactions: ckDOG

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
So who is your Mount Rushmore of sports actors. Slap Shot is on another level.
Mine are.
Costner
Burt Reynolds
Woody Harrelson (they said he destroyed Snipes in one on one)
Tie Charlie Sheen ML or David Strathairn in 8 men out
Honorable mention Office edition
Michael Scott Hockey
Kevin Warehouse Basketball

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Mine are.
Costner
Burt Reynolds
Michael Scott Hockey
DB Sweeney is very athletic looking. In Eight Men Out as Shoeless Joe Jackson, he looks like the best ball player. He was also a Hockey player in The Cutting Edge.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Being great at both athletics and acting isn't difficult, I also don't know why there aren't more people who do both.
Hollywood is mostly filled with drama nerds. While it's not hard to do both, most people that were normal in high school don't up and move to hollywood to pursue acting.

I will say golf is probably one of the harder sports to portray just because it's not obvious who is going to be able to make a passable swing. Athletic people are generally going to be able to throw a baseball or football and generally shoot a basketball, if for no other reason that almost everybody is exposed to that in childhood even if they don't really play. I know some athletic people that took up golf later in life, even if it's just early adult hood that have horrific looking swings although they generally figure out how to make it work if they stick with it. I know people that started golf young that have a beautiful swing that I don't trust to walk to and from the golf cart without falling they're so uncoordinated.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I haven't seen Miracle mentioned yet. From what I understand, most of the people in it were actually hockey players who they got to act. the goalie being one of, if not the only, exception.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
- Having unathletic looking actors as a golf team makes it more realistic. It's golf- hand-eye coordination and athleticism are often conflated, but rarely should be.

- You don't need a traditionally textbook swing to pass as a good golfer when acting. You just need a balanced and repeatable swing. That is enough to make the play look realistic.
Jim Furyk agrees.

- Anyone that is going to star in a sports movie needs to have some training, if they haven't played the sport. Knowing a few basics makes it so much better.
Just master some basics like...
Shooting a basketball square to the hoop and with wrist flick.
Weight transition when swinging a bat.
Looking up when you have possession of the soccer ball.

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Mine are.
Costner
Burt Reynolds
Michael Scott Hockey

Adam Sandler.
Not kidding.

Golf- Happy Gilmore
Football- Longest Yard
Football- The Water boy
Basketball- Hustle

Reactions: jethreauxdawg
Get unlimited access today.