OT: Which accessories for RecTeq 590 should I get?

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
About to order one for myself. Added the cover and a bag of pellets. What about that front shelf? Anything a must have?

thanks.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Grill cover and floor mat. The competition cart isn't worth it. They already have great wheels compared to competitors. I got the 1250 and love it. Actually went to the HQ in Augusta to pick it up.

I'll say this, I think Traeger pellets are better than the recteq ones. Burn slower and put out more flavor.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
If you have a Rural king around, watch them for pellet sales - usually once every month or so. Usually well under 10 bucks a bag when on sale. I like the blends the best - competition blend is hickory and some fruit woods, and is good for just about anything you're cooking.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
A friend of mine did his own shelf. He got the brackets off of Amazon and made his own shelf. He said the only adjustment he had to make was drilling the existing holes a little bigger.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B3JPS5R/ref=cm_sw_r_sms_api_glt_i_11JQJY8ZF5A49EZB4YF1

View attachment 23855

360 said something interesting. I had the exact opposite experience with pellets. Traeger ones didn’t do so great, and I have been using Pit Boss since. The only thing I’ll say it I have different experiences with Pitt Boss too. I don’t know if moisture gets to the pellets in storage or delivery sometimes and that is what causes it. That being said, my Traeger experience may have been a result of that. Of course during the summer we have a south breeze 90% of the time so the smoke isn’t as noticeable as a calm day. The only thing I got with mine is the cover. I also buy the bucket liners but you can Google countless ways people have engineered their own solution.

Last edited by a moderator:

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
The recteq ones didn't burn well for me. And to your point, it's could easily be an inconsistency in the manufacturing or maybe the bag had a small hole in it and it absorbed moisture. Regardless, I was left unimpressed.

Right now I like the CookingPellets.com Perfect Mix and the Traeger Signature.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
The recteq ones didn't burn well for me. And to your point, it's could easily be an inconsistency in the manufacturing or maybe the bag had a small hole in it and it absorbed moisture. Regardless, I was left unimpressed.

Right now I like the CookingPellets.com Perfect Mix and the Traeger Signature.
Agreed on Cookingpellets! They are just expensive on Amazon and the shipping to my address from their site is steep.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Grill grates. They do a hell of a good job searing.

I’m a big fan of the RT pellets. Mad Scientist did a pellet test and I was shocked with the results.

goodknight

Jan 27, 2011
Their HQ is 10-15 minutes from my house. My sons got me the 590 for Christmas 2020. Have to get you some grilling grates.

squintdawg

Jun 4, 2003
I have had a RT-590 for about 2 years and it is great! Here are my takes on accessories and pellets:

- I would definitely get a cover
- I got the comp cart to allow me to more easily move it to my garage from my patio of I wanted. As stated, you don't really need it, especially if it will be in one place. It looks nice, but the normal legs/wheels are good.
- I would definitely recommend the grill grates. They are awesome (get about 100 degrees hotter) and you can flip to flat side and use like a griddle
- If you are into pizzas - the Green Mountain Grill pizza attachment fits the 590 perfect and is awesome.
- The probes that come with it work great with the app. I also just got a Meater probe and like it.
- On pellets - if you ask 10 people, you will get 8 or 9 different answers. As stated - CookinPellets are great, but pricey. My go-to are B&B brand that you can get at Academy. Great for the price.
- Smoke Tube - I have one and if I want some extra smoke flavor (pellets don't get the same smoke as a normal wood smoking grill / green egg) - they work great. Cheap addition to get. I use a combo of pellets and wood chips in it and it works great. Also cool to cold smoke cheese in the winter.
- On the shelf - I got on and it is solid. As stated, many people retrofit one of their own. I don't use it much, unless doing something large (like a brisket) that I need to rest a pan on while loading up. I honestly use the top of the pellet hopper 90% of the time as my shelf.

Enjoy - what people say about the quality and customer service are all true. I have a 590 and 380 and any little issue i have had has been resolved with no issue. They both hold temps great.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
The fact you can call customer support and someone from southeast Georgia answers the phone is awesome.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
I highly suggest you spend the extra for the 700. That space has been invaluable for me.

I got the cold smoker but havent used it in the 18 months since i bought it.
The shelf isnt the size it needs to be and gets in the way so i place everything on the control shelf anywah. I wouldnt buy it
Dont buy the comp cart. Its plenty sturdy
I use my BGE for high heat but if you dont have something similar, get the grill grates for searing.
You have to have the cover

Cooterpoot

Aug 29, 2012
Someone help me understand why people want to move to a pellet grill/smoker? Or really, why crazy expensive grills/smokers at all? I can't figure it out for the life of me. Seriously. I'm asking because I'm curious.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
So I don't have to babysit a grill all day. I got other **** to do. I can monitor and adjust the grill remotely. It's a game changer.

msudawg12

Dec 9, 2008
Someone help me understand why people want to move to a pellet grill/smoker? Or really, why crazy expensive grills/smokers at all? I can't figure it out for the life of me. Seriously. I'm asking because I'm curious.

I started my smoker from my phone while eating at a restaurant for lunch today so it would be preheated by the time I got home…

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login