OT. Winning Time

NTDawg

Mar 2, 2012
Anybody watchIng? I’m on the 2nd episode and it’s entertaining. This is my era but wasn’t aware that Bus was the architect and West was drug along.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
It is very good. Episode 3 has a swerve that I had no idea about. Some of the prospective coach story is fiction but some of it is true.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Anybody watchIng? I’m on the 2nd episode and it’s entertaining. This is my era but wasn’t aware that Bus was the architect and West was drug along.

I've been enjoying it. I'm sure they're a little loose with the facts but it's been a lot of fun.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I just finished it. I will avoid spoilers at this time. I enjoyed it overall. I do think they pretty much make everyone look bad. Maybe that is closer to reality than something that portrays it in a hero worship way. I know Jerry West is laying groundwork to sue. I know they chose the cynical path, but I have to believe no one is as bad or good at they get portrayed in these types of shows. I think I would have enjoyed it more if they toned that cynicism down a bit.

And I am still trying to figure out what that grainy shot with the edge of a rectangle on the left side was supposed to represent. If it was film sprockets they should have had multiples on the left side.

View attachment 24409

Last edited:

Motodawg

Apr 19, 2018

Finished it Sunday night and absolutely loved it. I was born in 1987 so none of this means anything to me but man what a great show lol

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I've been enjoying it. I'm sure they're a little loose with the facts but it's been a lot of fun.

Agree. The acting is so good that I catch myself forgetting it's not a documentary.

dogmatic

Aug 22, 2012
I finished it Sunday and I really enjoyed it. I liked the 4th-wall technique and thought it was used just right.
The actor who portrayed Kareem was amazing.
Telling a broad story like that in an entertaining way just about requires a good bit of fiction, if only to consolidate characters and bridge events.

Still, if Jerry West is preparing to sue, it's what someone who'd watched his character in the series would expect.

I don't know if I want there to be a second season of it or not. I really enjoyed it, and they've consumed 90% of the drama I'm aware of.
Maybe it's better if they leave it at that.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
I really enjoyed it. They did an awesome job with the casting. Instead of season 2, I would like to see them do the 86’ Mets. Or the 85’ Bears.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I really enjoyed it. They did an awesome job with the casting. Instead of season 2, I would like to see them do the 86’ Mets. Or the 85’ Bears.

I just finished watching a 4 part show on the 86 Mets on ESPN+. I think it was a 30 for 30. It was made in 2021. It was called Once Upon a Time in Queens. Being a Mets fan, I liked it quite a bit.

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
I finished it Sunday and I really enjoyed it. I liked the 4th-wall technique and thought it was used just right.
The actor who portrayed Kareem was amazing.
Telling a broad story like that in an entertaining way just about requires a good bit of fiction, if only to consolidate characters and bridge events.

Still, if Jerry West is preparing to sue, it's what someone who'd watched his character in the series would expect.

I don't know if I want there to be a second season of it or not. I really enjoyed it, and they've consumed 90% of the drama I'm aware of.
Maybe it's better if they leave it at that.

As a Laker fan from back in the day I can tell you there is at least a little drama left. First you had the upheaval of Westhead orchestrated by Magic allegedly which resulted in Riley becoming the head coach. Then you had the trade of Norm Nixon a year or two later which was controversial at the time. That's not to mention the ongoing rivalry with Bird although they didn't meet in the finals until I think 84. The Lakers won a couple of championships but also got eliminated in the first round one year in the old best of three mini-series, then famously got swept by Philly in the finals another year by the Fo-Fo-Fo Moses Malone team. There's also the story of how they got Worthy but I don't know how long the book goes though or if they even need the book to keep going with the show.

Dawgzilla

Mar 3, 2008
I really enjoyed the series, mainly because I was huge Lakers fan in the 80s. All my (white) friends were Bird and Celtics fans, but I loved the glitz and glamor of Showtime.

Other than the subject matter, the series has a few flaws that will keep it from ever being considered a classic:

1. The characters are all too 1 dimensional, especially the side characters. Bird is pissed off and arrogant, Auerbach is smug, West is never happy, etc.

2. I think the "breaking the fourth wall" gimmick was overused and added little.

3. I don't know how much of it was true. Jeannie Buss really got shafted by the show. While she did grow up in the family business, she completely ran other sports teams before becoming General Manager of The Forum.

And 2 other thoughts...

Apple TV currently has a 4 part documentary on Magic Johnson. Makes a great companion piece.

And why did they have to use such a cheesy looking knock off of the NBA Championship trophy? I assume it was copyright issues, but that seems weird since they used NBA logos and jerseys, etc. Maybe the actual designer of the trophy wanted too much money??

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login