OT: WNBA lost $40 million this year...NBA owners getting antsy

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
This was very surprising to me after hearing reports all season of record attendance and viewership. On the upside, in the preseason they were expected to lose $50 million, so I guess you can say they outperformed. It's hard to imagine them replicating the kind of hype they had this year with Clark and Reese coming into the league. This seemed like THE year to really capitalize, but losing $40 million is still a dismal financial showing.

NBA owners, unsurprisingly since they are all businessmen, are starting to press on when they can expect to see some return on their investment. I have to wonder, though, if you're still losing $40 million after 27 seasons, is it reasonable to ever expect a ROI?

It's an extreme longshot that it ever becomes profitable. After 27 seasons and with highly aggressive marketing, they aren't even sniffing the break even point. On the exceedingly slim and miraculous chance that it did attain profitability, it will never be profitable enough that the NBA will ever recoup even a small fraction of what they've invested.

Reading Silver's comments, he's stuck between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand, there is zero financial viability for the WNBA. It exists 100% because the NBA funds it. On the other hand, there's zero chance the NBA could ever just say "hey, we gave this thing nearly 30 years and it's just not financially viable, we're pulling the plug." They would be crucified if they made a business decision to discontinue an unprofitable product. So they're just kind of stuck, it seems, funding this losing venture indefinitely.

• Haha
Reactions: will110

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
And the women are opting out of the agreement too.

Interesting. Our company is hemorrhaging cash, we've never once been profitable, but we want to set up for a strike for more money.

Piscis

Aug 31, 2024
But we've been told over and over how popular women's sports are. How can this be?

NBA owners should pull the band aid off quickly and just announce they won't be putting any more money into this losing venture. The criticism would be loud and angry but it would die down pretty quickly, not too many people care enough about women's basketball for the outrage to last very long. Let the WNBA figure out how to make it or shut it down. As things are; the WNBA is nothing more than affirmative action for women's basketball.
Shoot, I might actually watch the NBA then.

Or maybe it could be like a concert or comedian who has a warm-up act. The ladies could warm up the crowd.
Like girls basketball in HS, play the women's game on the same court before the men's game with admission included in the men's game ticket.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
But we've been told over and over how popular women's sports are. How can this be?

NBA owners should pull the band aid off quickly and just announce they won't be putting any more money into this losing venture. The criticism would be loud and angry but it would die down pretty quickly, not too many people care enough about women's basketball for the outrage to last very long. Let the WNBA figure out how to make it or shut it down. As things are; the WNBA is nothing more than affirmative action for women's basketball.

Like girls basketball in HS, play the women's game on the same court before the men's game with admission included in the men's game ticket.
Seriously. I mean, how long do you have to give it before you can say it's long enough? It's not like they're canning after 3 seasons.

This league was started when I was a couple years out of high school. Some of my classmates have grandkids now.

As political as the NBA is, though, and with the money they have to burn, there's just no way they'll ever pull the plug.

The wild card is if the owner eventually get fed up enough to force the change.

SouthernBelly

Sep 16, 2024
Seriously. I mean, how long do you have to give it before you can say it's long enough? It's not like they're canning after 3 seasons.

This league was started when I was a couple years out of high school. Some of my classmates have grandkids now.

As political as the NBA is, though, and with the money they have to burn, there's just no way they'll ever pull the plug.

The wild card is if the owner eventually get fed up enough to force the change.
Seems like they gave it 26 seasons too long. As I said elsewhere - women don't even care about women's basketball.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
It's just hard for me to see the WNBA being much more popular than it was this year. It would have to get A LOT more popular just to break even.

Piscis

Aug 31, 2024
It's just hard for me to see the WNBA being much more popular than it was this year. It would have to get A LOT more popular just to break even.
I don't think any sport in history has had as much marketing and hype pushed on the public trying to generate a following than women's basketball. Even with all of the pushing, people just don't care about it.

Women's tennis is about the only women's sport the public cares much about.

scbeachboy

Feb 22, 2022
I'm no tax expert but something tells me there must be some kind of tax incentive for them to keep pouring this kind of money into a losing product. During a brief stint in real estate sales at Lightkeepers Village in Little River, SC I had a guy come in that I couldn't help because I didn't have anything that cost enough to get him what he needed. He said he needed to spend $4.400 a month or he would lose it. I've never had that problem so I have no idea how that works but that's why I think it's a tax write off somehow.

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
I'm no tax expert but something tells me there must be some kind of tax incentive for them to keep pouring this kind of money into a losing product. During a brief stint in real estate sales at Lightkeepers Village in Little River, SC I had a guy come in that I couldn't help because I didn't have anything that cost enough to get him what he needed. He said he needed to spend $4.400 a month or he would lose it. I've never had that problem so I have no idea how that works but that's why I think it's a tax write off somehow.
Tax write-off has to be the answer

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
I'm not sure the NBA could ever pull the plug. They would be massacred by the press.

Then again, with our attention spans, it might last one season.

It would be interesting to see these ladies' reactions if they were asked to stand on their own two feet.

I4CtheFuture

Oct 5, 2024
I'm not sure the NBA could ever pull the plug. They would be massacred by the press.

It would be interesting to see these ladies' reactions if they were asked to stand on their own two feet.
My brain to my typing fingers...... "Don't do it.... Don't do it..... put the keyboard down." :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: Lurker123

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
This was very surprising to me after hearing reports all season of record attendance and viewership. On the upside, in the preseason they were expected to lose $50 million, so I guess you can say they outperformed. It's hard to imagine them replicating the kind of hype they had this year with Clark and Reese coming into the league. This seemed like THE year to really capitalize, but losing $40 million is still a dismal financial showing.

NBA owners, unsurprisingly since they are all businessmen, are starting to press on when they can expect to see some return on their investment. I have to wonder, though, if you're still losing $40 million after 27 seasons, is it reasonable to ever expect a ROI?

It's an extreme longshot that it ever becomes profitable. After 27 seasons and with highly aggressive marketing, they aren't even sniffing the break even point. On the exceedingly slim and miraculous chance that it did attain profitability, it will never be profitable enough that the NBA will ever recoup even a small fraction of what they've invested.

Reading Silver's comments, he's stuck between a rock and a hard place. On the one hand, there is zero financial viability for the WNBA. It exists 100% because the NBA funds it. On the other hand, there's zero chance the NBA could ever just say "hey, we gave this thing nearly 30 years and it's just not financially viable, we're pulling the plug." They would be crucified if they made a business decision to discontinue an unprofitable product. So they're just kind of stuck, it seems, funding this losing venture indefinitely.

Money is made in professional sports in the television and media deals. Until the networks and advertisers see that the product is in demand media wise, the real money won't come in TV dollars. Attendance sales and Merch is nice, but as you can see that struggles to even keep the lights on.

Reactions: 18IsTheMan

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
Blame it on the women who don’t attend. You can bring a horse to water but …

adcoop

Jul 3, 2023
WNBA needs more than Caitlin Clark being a good player. They need for her to be on teams good enough to make deep playoff runs for several years. For example, the WNBA Finals drew an average viewership of 1.57 mil. That was a record for them. However, the NBA with an infrastructure that has been built over decades averaged 11.1 Mil a game and that number was down a little bit from 2023. These are the numbers that advertisers look at in making a determination on throwing dollars at a sport.

vacock

Joined Oct 26, 1998 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 20, 2022
They need women interested enough in the sport to pay money. Not going to happen.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022

That’s the thing. They would get crucified in the media, but it wouldn’t last. News moves too fast and people have such very short attention spans. We had a presidential candidate come within an inch of being assassinated on live tv and it was totally out of the news cycle in less than a week.

Reactions: Lurker123

Forkcock

Jan 21, 2022
If there’s no difference between men & women, those gals could just tryout for an NBA team.

Latest posts

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login