OT: Wrasslin’ fans

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
How do we feel about Raw moving to Netflix in January 2025? Seems topical to the NFL on Peacock discussion we had a couple of weeks ago.

I’m excited because that means I can watch the whole show live and not just the recut replay on Hulu the next day.

So it looks like that puts:
Raw on Netflix
NXT on CW
Smackdown on USA Network
PPV/archives on Peacock

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Wow, this is the first I’ve heard of it. We have Netflix, but for me, this will probably mean that I’ll end up watching even less of Raw because I cannot stand flipping between apps throughout the night. Hopping over to Raw during a football commercial break is easy now, but going back and forth between YoutubeTV and Netflix is not something I’ll be doing on a Monday night

On a related note, I’m halfway interested in the Rumble this year now that Punk, Orton, and Rock are involved, but I just can’t get into this new era of wrestlers. There are a couple of them that are ok, but we’re going on ten years of completely forgettable characters

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

BulldogBlitz

Dec 11, 2008
I rarely see wwe anymore, any version.

Before 20, we started going to live local indy shows. During the shutdown, many of those guys were in aew tapings in Atlanta, so that really was a fun view. They have all mostly returned to just local indy, and that's where I'm liking my rasslin these days.

Moving it to Netflix would put it out of reach. We don't have it.

OldVideoGuy

Jun 25, 2021
i know this is first world problems but I hate having to switch back and forth on apps to watch live tv.
I got DirecTV Stream thinking it would be easy to do it but trust me it isn't like what they show on TV. Yeah Netflix and other apps show up as channels but if you are watching the NFL game on Amazon and say a college football game on ESPN you can't just use your back button to jump between them. It's going to be weird tuning in to USA on a Monday night and not seeing Raw.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
The weekly TV is very skippable for the most part anyway, honestly, although the Cody/Punk segment last night was awesome. I usually catch up on anything big I missed via YouTube.

PPV’s/PLE’s in the Triple H era have been a huge improvement and I’m looking forward to the Rumble on Sunday. But I don’t watch Raw or Smackdown much at all as is.

I do think you’ll probably see the PLE’s move from Peacock to Netflix too once the Peacock deal is up in 2026.

Reactions: Dawgg

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
I'm curious to see what this means for the show format on Raw. I'd hope without the need for linear commercials maybe the show gets condensed somewhat. I very rarely watch anything live anymore unless it's a PPV or the day after Mania Raw, so I'm hoping any ad breaks for the ad tier get removed for playback or else they stay live during the breaks for the ad-free tier. Better yet boy if they could go back to a two-hour Raw that would be incredible. Three hours is just too much.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Curious why some people feel the need to watch it live if you have something else you are watching? I’ll watch some shows live when it lines up but FFWDing through commercials is a huge incentive to not watch live. Is it because you may get spoilers on Social media?

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Definitely sucks for people who like to flip back and forth during commercials. But that horse is dead with streaming anyway.

Commercials pay the bills, guess we have to get used to that going forward for live sports.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Curious why some people feel the need to watch it live if you have something else you are watching? I’ll watch some shows live when it lines up but FFWDing through commercials is a huge incentive to not watch live. Is it because you may get spoilers on Social media?
Why does anybody watch live sports?

Reactions: patdog

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
i know this is first world problems but I hate having to switch back and forth on apps to watch live tv.
I spent my childhood as the official channel changer. I'm still uncertain as to why nobody else in the house was called upon for such duties. 5 total channels between UHF and VHF. I played outside a lot to avoid being the remote control.

For years we had an old Zenith with suspect horizontal hold. "Go hit the TV" was a common refrain. And I also hate switching apps...

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
I'm curious to see what this means for the show format on Raw. I'd hope without the need for linear commercials maybe the show gets condensed somewhat. I very rarely watch anything live anymore unless it's a PPV or the day after Mania Raw, so I'm hoping any ad breaks for the ad tier get removed for playback or else they stay live during the breaks for the ad-free tier. Better yet boy if they could go back to a two-hour Raw that would be incredible. Three hours is just too much.
I think making the product a little more edgier like it was during the attitude era would make a big difference too.

Reactions: aTotal360

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I think making the product a little more edgier like it was during the attitude era would make a big difference too.

It’ll never go back to full on attitude era with the blood, chair shots to the head, overt sexual references, all the demonic Undertaker stuff, etc. Just a different world now than it was in 1998-2000.

That said, they’ve been on a heck of a run since Vince stepped down from creative a year and a half ago. More focus on actual wrestling and interesting stories than whatever the heck you want to call the goofiness of the PG era. They’re as popular right now they’ve been in a long time and kinda have both the casual and hardcore fans happy with things simultaneously, which almost never happens. HHH has been a huge improvement over what Vince had become in his old age.

Reactions: ll Martain ll

the_marshall

Jan 31, 2019
Could this be the return of an era like the Attitude era? They have the freedom of being away from "broadcast" television and could open it up.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Yeah, bra and panties matches went away with Stacy Kiebler and The Cat. And we're all worse for it. Or better for it, depending on your viewpoint. But mostly worse for it.
Or Sable taking her top off with the handprints painted on.

Reactions: Drebin

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Y'all know it's fake, right?
The Rock Shut Up GIF by WWE

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
I was a kid during the Attitude Era and my mom banned me from watching it after she walked in on me and my brother watching the episode where Vince made Trish Stratus get on her knees and bark like a dog. So from that point on we had to watch in secret. Lol.

I was super into it until about 2002, which is when a ton of people stopped watching as well. My fandom has been on and off for 20+ years since then. A lot more lows than highs in that time, but they’re currently at one of their high water marks.

• Haha

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Mae Young famously told Bubba Ray to give her that powerbomb like she was one of the boys. That was the toughest woman in America.

Edit to add, Mae Young was 77 years old at the time.
Mae Young was a legend from the beginning. She used to lure men back to her hotel and beat them mercilessly and take their money. :ROFLMAO:

These are newspaper articles from 1949.

1706210320176.png
1706210460102.png

And this is what she looked like around that time. Not a pointy elbow to be seen:

1706210788979.png

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Welp the WSJ article that just came about Vince sure adds fuel to the fire of him being a total creep.

Not a good luck for Brock Lesnar, either. Not good at all.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login