OT: Wrestling dads are the alpha dooshbags of all helicopter parents

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
The baseball dads thread made me think of it. If you ever want to see overly aggressive ******** parents at a sporting event, go to a wrestling meet. Holy hell. Some of these people make the jackass dance moms look like girls scouts.

My 6 year old wanted to wrestling this year. Outside of Bill Dundee and Luscious Kenny Valiant, I've never been around "real" wrestling because I grew up in the Delta and we simply didn't have it. I don't think the vast majority of MS schools do. Anyway...what an awesome experience. If you have a kid and want to see raw emotion from a kid, sign them up. I think it's a sport every kid should have to do for one season. For many of the kids (and parents), it's their first dose of humble pie. And not just a slice. The whole damn pie. Nothing, AND I MEAN NOTHING, is more satisfying than seeing a girl pin a boy who's dad is one of these meatball gym rats hollering the whole time. Talk about warming the cockles of your heart. I get goosebumps thinking about it.

Aug 22, 2012
I’ve wanted to get my little ones into a martial art (BJJ, Wrestling, Judo, etc.) but as someone with no experience myself, what should you look for in a gym or dojo or whatever they’re called? From the outside it seems like there’s a lot of fake experts out there. I could be wrong though.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
As usual, your mileage may vary. I'm like you tho. I don't know if our coaches were good or bad. They were caring and my kid liked it, so that was good enough for me.

My recommendation is if you have a hyperactive kid, do wrestling or BJJ. We got invited to a martial arts academy and it was too much about breathing and posing than rolling around on the mat. We don't have a wrestling school/academy close by, but we do have a BJJ place down the road.

If you find one, I'm certain they will let your kid to a couple lessons for free to see if they like it. Once soccer is over, we are likely going to BJJ until the next wrestling season.

vhdawg

Sep 29, 2004
Thing I just learned....there was a wrestler named Luscious Kenny Valiant. I knew about Luscious Johnny Valiant, but I must have missed out on Kenny.

The best Valiant remains the Boogie Woogie Man Jimmy Valiant.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
My son had a small but stocky kid on his football team a couple of years ago. A good bit smaller than everyone else. They were 11. That kid was the baddest damn linebacker. I swear he was in on every play and never missed a tackle if he touched the ball carrier, no matter how much bigger they were. He was a master of leverage. He was awesome to watch. I’ve never lived somewhere that offered wrestling, that I was aware of anyway. Through schools that is.

SteelCurtain74

Oct 28, 2019
I’ve wanted to get my little ones into a martial art (BJJ, Wrestling, Judo, etc.) but as someone with no experience myself, what should you look for in a gym or dojo or whatever they’re called? From the outside it seems like there’s a lot of fake experts out there. I could be wrong though.

If the instructor asks your kid to paint his fence or wax on wax off, you will want to look elsewhere. You probably want the instructor who is yelling "Sweep the leg".

In honesty, I would second Jason Griffin. Great dude.

Dawg_4_lifes

Sep 17, 2016

I would say patience from the instructor(s) and one-on-one time. I started in my late teens and really enjoyed it, but i was way behind for my age. My daughter took taekwondo at around 10 and was really into it and learned alot. My son we started too early at 5 and it was a bit of a mess. It is great for confidence, learning how to overcome things, endurance, etc.... I think its great for kids.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
My 7-year-old granddaughter takes Tae Kwon Do at Lee's Martial Arts Academy in Flowood. We chose this place due to the positive experience my nephew has had there. I would highly recommend Master Lee. I have never seen him raise his voice at any of his students. He uses positive re-enforcement and humor to get the best from his students. My grand has been going there for a little better than a year and has advanced to Green Belt. My nephew has been there for 5 years now and has his low black belt. I would recommend Master Lee without hesitation.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Feel free to shoot me a PM if you want me to look at a gym or two for you. I do BJJ and could look at the website to tell if it looks legit or if there are red flags. It’s great for kids

Thunt.sixpack

May 12, 2013
I wrestled for 6 years when i lived in Pennsylvania. Really fun sport and was really disappointed when we moved to Alabama they didn’t have it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login