OT: Yo Seinfeld and McDawg..

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Your asses are toast come this fall. I just ordered a new smoker. 120 gallon offset pit on a single axel trailer. Hoping to get it here in time for a Labor Day blowout with multiple briskets, pork butts, sausages, Texas twinkies, etc. Got hooked up with a local Akaushi beef ranch that is going to sell me briskets and hopefully beef ribs direct.

Toast. So you throw the big elephant dong on the Rectec McDawg... I'm ready this year.

Meridian Dog is banned for cheating, by cooking to much **** like our grandma's made and we are all suckers for...

Last edited:

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Congratulations. Invest in a good vacuum packer if you don't already have one. I bought a 100 gal offset several years ago. Loved cooking on that thing but a grill that big is work. Lots of prep before the cook. Lots of attention during the cook and lots of packing after the cook. I rarely use it anymore except for large family gatherings. My BGE cooks more than I can eat. I had charcoal trays installed under the cooking grates so that I can cook steaks and burgers directly over the coals if I want too. It adds another option other than just indirect smoking. Post pics. My wife says I have a grill fetish. I recently brought home a George Forman electric patio grill that I found marked down to $20. Cooks a mean fried hamburger.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Man... I talketh thy shitteth to sooneth.

I just got an email saying they are out of stock and after talking to them they don't plan on making any until 2023 at the earliest. Back to square one. I'm 1000+ miles from anyone that sells an offset smoker so after freight, I was at such a high price point on the ones I wanted, I ended up close to trailer pricing.

View attachment 24422

I have a call in to Old Country Pits to see if they'll ship me a brazos. The BBQ sucks, I mean its horrible, out here and I want to make a restaurant quality brisket and that requires on on offset unfortunately. I sold my old brazos about 5 years ago to my neighbor when I moved. I bet I cooked 50-75 briskets on that sucker over the years and even catered my wedding rehearsal dinner with it. Man I miss it.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I've always wanted to try a vertical smoker like a Backwoods Chubby. I meet a guy cooking competition that had three veriticals on a trailer and he cooked some fabulous bbq. He owned a restaurant and after we became friends he taught me a lot. A vertical will be my next grill purchase most likely.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Went to "Danny's Welding" this afternoon and talked to one of the welders. He has a 500 gallon tank ready to go. I am going to walk him through how to make an insulated firebox, collapsable stack, and grate high smoke collector, and put it all on a trailer. He's absolutely geeked about making it though. The paint and patina on the tank look about like this have me hopeful we end up with something like this...

View attachment 24425

He's going to talk to his boss about the price and apparently Danny is a real *******, but I am hopeful we can come to a deal.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Yoder is pretty far out as well and ultra expensive. I think they do a really good job with a lot of things, have heard their pellet grill is tits... But their offsets have a bad reputation to be honest, at least when it comes to draft. The stack is too small and too high on the pit. The fix seems to be keeping the firebox door wide open, which is burning a hot fire and really eating through the wood. At nearly $800 per cord that I will end up paying after freight, I need efficiency.

If my other plans don't work out, I am prolly going to order this bad boy. Big Phil has a backyard smoker brand that is built right. I like the 24" offset and after freight, Yoder, Horizon, and everyone else are pushing decent used car prices. I don't want to wait 4 months for this guy, but it may end up being the way I have to go if my other plans don't work out.

https://bluesmokesmokers.com/

View attachment 24430

Compare that to the Yoder Wichita... Look at the stack. It's tiny, up too high, and it's not welded. It's crazy how something that simple can make such a big difference, but it does. Everyone seems to recommend buying the Yoder and then have a fab shop block the existing port, lower it to grate level, and make it 50% larger in diameter.

View attachment 24432

Now this is my old bad boy. An Old Country Brazos. It's a 20", but they are on sale at Academy for $1200... About 1/3 the price of a Yoder. It's super thick steel, high quality weld, and that grate level fat *** stack is a draft machine. There is actually one in stock in Tupelo if any of you guys want to snag it for me, crate it, and ship it 2000 miles.***

View attachment 24431

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I've always wanted to try a vertical smoker like a Backwoods Chubby. I meet a guy cooking competition that had three veriticals on a trailer and he cooked some fabulous bbq. He owned a restaurant and after we became friends he taught me a lot. A vertical will be my next grill purchase most likely.

Take the Natchez Trace up north. Once you get a few miles past the mall area in Tupelo, head east on 363 for about 10 miles to Centerville Fish and Steak. When you walk in, ask for Rhonda... You'll know it’s her by the hair on her knuckles and the untrimmed deckle on her hips. Tell her Joe Lee sent you. No thanks will be necessary.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
FWIW this was posted a few minutes ago in Brandon

Last edited:

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
That's a nice looking pit. Insulated firebox is a nice feature Jambo is one of the top pitmakers in the country for comp. I didn't even bother looking, because everything I have ever seen is a $10k plus competition trailer.

I'm sure he's booked out forever, but if not, I would not mind this backyard model at all. Thx jethreauxdawg

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
Went to "Danny's Welding" this afternoon and talked to one of the welders. He has a 500 gallon tank ready to go. I am going to walk him through how to make an insulated firebox, collapsable stack, and grate high smoke collector, and put it all on a trailer. He's absolutely geeked about making it though. The paint and patina on the tank look about like this have me hopeful we end up with something like this...

View attachment 24425

He's going to talk to his boss about the price and apparently Danny is a real *******, but I am hopeful we can come to a deal.

Just go full out with one of these.

View attachment 24433View attachment 24434

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Um after just looking at that I am going to get a tetanus shot.

Surely everyone on the board knows to season a smoker like that as if it were a cast iron skillet? Inside and out with canola oil. It will last a 109 years if you do it regularly.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
Um after just looking at that I am going to get a tetanus shot.

Surely everyone on the board knows to season a smoker like that as if it were a cast iron skillet? Inside and out with canola oil. It will last a 109 years if you do it regularly.

More of that Brandon charm.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Dad gum JoeLee, I just sat down to enjoy an airport beer after flying back today, but now you’ve got my head spinnin. I’ve been in Germany all week, and on one hand I’ve gotta hand it to my Hamburg friends… they’ve got one of the coolest downtown scenes I’ve seen since college, and hopefully I can convince my wife at some point during the next couple days that my AmEx tabletop dance charge was NOT in fact payment for a tabletop dance. But when it comes to food, it was a rough week, I spent the whole week educating a few teammates about good bourbon and low & slow smoking.

That sucks that your initial order fell through, but I’m sure you’ll get it figured out, and one thing’s for sure. Season 2 of SixPack smokin, grillin, and drinkin is raising the stakes! Maybe a drunk wife, gf, or both will even make an appearance this year

Ace-Leroy

Aug 23, 2012
Take the Natchez Trace up north. Once you get a few miles past the mall area in Tupelo, head east on 363 for about 10 miles to Centerville Fish and Steak. When you walk in, ask for Rhonda... You'll know it’s her by the hair on her knuckles and the untrimmed deckle on her hips. Tell her Joe Lee sent you. No thanks will be necessary.

I have eaten there many times. Excellent place.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I was in Columbus today and ate lunch at Proffitts Porch. I took a short cut around the airbase on the way home. Went by a place on 373 outside the South Gate called J&J, they had about a dozen big grills sitting out front. Most on trailers. They had a couple of the ones that look like garbage dumpsters. Not sure if it was a welding shop or a grill manufacturer but they had a variety of grills. Thought about you Joe Lee way up there in smoked meat purgatory.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Thought about you Joe Lee way up there in smoked meat purgatory.

I appreciate all of the thoughts and prayers you can send as I enter the summer with no good solution to quality brisket.**

All kidding aside, my Kamado works great for a lot of things so I am not going to wither away, but I do think I have my smoker situation finally solved so I can make my own brisket and beef ribs by mid-late June hopefully. I wish I could explain how bad it is here. Part of it is the tools they use, but the other part is, I just don't think many of these people have ever had good BBQ so they are happy with the bad stuff.

This is a BBQ restaurant about 15 miles away that everyone raves about. My wife is from central Texas and refuses to eat it any more. Its the driest, saltiest bbq you can imagine. This picture below is the FB profile photo of said restaurant.. Look at these briskets. I have no idea what is the point or flat. No trimming whatsoever. The bark is half good, then the other half tastes like volcanic ash.

View attachment 24437

Here's a picture of the brisket sliced. Moisture is easier found on Mars. I actually met a sales go from a local food distributor recently and he told me all of the bbq joints only buy select grade brisket. Which probably explains why it looks and tastes like Jack Links.

View attachment 24438

1 more month. 1 more month.

grinningmule

Jul 15, 2021
I appreciate all of the thoughts and prayers you can send as I enter the summer with no good solution to quality brisket.**

All kidding aside, my Kamado works great for a lot of things so I am not going to wither away, but I do think I have my smoker situation finally solved so I can make my own brisket and beef ribs by mid-late June hopefully. I wish I could explain how bad it is here. Part of it is the tools they use, but the other part is, I just don't think many of these people have ever had good BBQ so they are happy with the bad stuff.

This is a BBQ restaurant about 15 miles away that everyone raves about. My wife is from central Texas and refuses to eat it any more. Its the driest, saltiest bbq you can imagine. This picture below is the FB profile photo of said restaurant.. Look at these briskets. I have no idea what is the point or flat. No trimming whatsoever. The bark is half good, then the other half tastes like volcanic ash.

View attachment 24437

Here's a picture of the brisket sliced. Moisture is easier found on Mars. I actually met a sales go from a local food distributor recently and he told me all of the bbq joints only buy select grade brisket. Which probably explains why it looks and tastes like Jack Links.

View attachment 24438

1 more month. 1 more month.
I've tried three different places up here to the detriment of my wallet and taste buds. Dry brisket is a mortal sin especially coming from places with names like "Savory Lane" and "Taste of Texas". Pure blasphemy.

garddog

Dec 10, 2008
That is some rough looking brisket. Those sides look horrible also. Maybe you need to open a place.

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
A SixPack bourbon and BBQ joint. You just may be on to something garddog

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login