OT - Youth baseball bat

Mar 3, 2008
Need some recommendations. Rec ball not travel. My son is 9 and on the smaller side. He needs a 28/29 in bat. There just to damn many bats, brands etc for me to dig through. They’ve come a long way since my 32.5 inch Easton ultralight back in 89. I shoot Remington shotguns not beretta, however I do own a green egg. Drive a f250 but it’s not jacked up with Dicky Simpson’s on it. No 30A stickers either so I guess we’re middle class fancy. Maybe that helps set the price range.

Bullldawg78

Aug 30, 2018
First of all what type of bat do they allow, USA or USSSA? If you live anywhere where there is a better baseball store or somewhere similar he should go swing multiple bats there off a tee. They have a machine that shows where he hits it and how fast his bat speed as well as a bunch of other stats. With baseball it's 90% mental. My son is on the smaller side he plays travel and has a demarini zen two piece $$$$$ and a one piece Rawlings velo $$$ depending on the day and his head he hits better with one than the other. He usually prefers the velo bat. Both those are USSSA bats, before travel he hit Louisville slugger prime bat USA I don't think as expensive he also had a Easton beast bat again USA and affordable.

Last edited:

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
My son is 9 and on the smaller side. He needs a 28/29 in bat.
If you got this from a bat chart, then it's wrong information. Most 9 year olds are swinging a 26/16 or a 27/17. Only the biggest kids have bigger than that and it's arguable that they shouldn't either.

Only you know if your kid can truly swing the bat. But it should not look like they are swinging a log, they should be able to whip it through very easily. Too heavy of a bat is the single biggest detriment I see in youth hitters.

Brand don't really matter. I'd probably go 2 5/8 diameter for a smaller kid. Don't spend more than $150 (max end if you want to go expensive).

Last edited:

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Need some recommendations. Rec ball not travel. My son is 9 and on the smaller side. He needs a 28/29 in bat. There just to damn many bats, brands etc for me to dig through. They’ve come a long way since my 32.5 inch Easton ultralight back in 89. I shoot Remington shotguns not beretta, however I do own a green egg. Drive a f250 but it’s not jacked up with Dicky Simpson’s on it. No 30A stickers either so I guess we’re middle class fancy. Maybe that helps set the price range.

I'm assuming you didn't name him Jaxson or Braxton, else he'd be leading his travel ball team in homers...

Mar 3, 2008
Nope, he’s got a older family name. It has to be USA baseball. Dixie youth down here in Tuffburg. He’s got a Easton -13 27. It just seems to be flat. And the sound is flat to. I know the sound doesn’t matter but I just don’t like the bat.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
I'm assuming you didn't name him Jaxson or Braxton, else he'd be leading his travel ball team in homers...

He’s too young for that. Those are all playing in the 10+ age groups.

Upyurs

Nov 24, 2017
Agree with Toag. Unless your child is unusually big, a 28/29 is way too large for a 9 year old. And hate to break it to you but be prepared for all USA bats to sound and hit flat.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
I understand middle class fancy and needing a new bat but if you can find an old Worth Prodigy in his size from Play It Again Sports or somewhere like that then get it. That bat is HOT. Been 8 years since we were in youth baseball and not sure if they make Worth anymore - heard Rawlings bought them and everything went under the 5150 now. Anyway, if you can find one get it - an old bat will still have plenty of pop to it. We're talking 8,9,10 yr olds.

View attachment 24016

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
If you got this from a bat chart, then it's wrong information. Most 9 year olds are swinging a 26/16 or a 27/17. Only the biggest kids have bigger than that and it's arguable that they shouldn't either.

Only you know if your kid can truly swing the bat. But it should not look like they are swinging a log, they should be able to whip it through very easily. Too heavy of a bat is the single biggest detriment I see in youth hitters.

Brand don't really matter. I'd probably go 2 5/8 diameter for a smaller kid. Don't spend more than $150 (max end if you want to go expensive).

It’s always a qualified depends - 27 or 28 likely - would stick with drop 10 - go lighter it’ll ring your boy up more and then he’s not going to want to swing hard to avoid his hands hurting

However -
My just turned 10yr old swings a 29 drop 8 just fine (he uses that or his 28 drop 10) and he’s just 4’3” and 62lbs - typically depends on velo he’s facing - he saw 50-59 this weekend (10u) but it’ll bump up into mid to upper 60s on average when he’s playing 11u

This is what we’re working toward though as a baseline
10 - drop 10
11 - drop 8
12 - drop 5
13 - drop5/drop3 (school ball is drop 3)
14 - drop 3

The idea of bats right now make me sick - we’ve broken 4 (2 wood, 1 composite, 1 allloy) recently

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login