OT: Zion NP

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
We’re staying in Vegas in a few weeks , can you do Zion in a day trip? What do you recommend?

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
It’s doable but depends on how many hikes you’re looking to do. My wife and I were staying in cedar city and drove to vegas a couple days later. We did 3 hikes of about 2 miles each, stopped at each shuttle stop at least for a bit, and probably only stayed in the park 5 hours. It’s pretty easy to get around on the shuttles, but if you’re looking to do an insane wader hiking adventure on the Narrows, you’d want more time. Could probably do Angel’s Landing and be ok

60sdog

Oct 9, 2010
We’re staying in Vegas in a few weeks , can you do Zion in a day trip? What do you recommend?
Actually, Angels Landing is one of the most exciting and famous hikes in the nation, you should do that one.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
You’d have to probably pick either the narrows or angels landing. No way you could do both. But it would be worth it to only jump off at each shuttle stop - it’s stunning. You won’t have time to make it to Capitol Reef, but it is highly underrated when people discuss the Utah 5…

Mjoelner

Sep 2, 2006
Just did that about a month ago. We didn't have time to do any hiking though. We had dinner reservations back in Vegas. We just rode the buses and hung around at a few of the stops and caught one of the next buses through.

hdogg

Nov 21, 2014
We were just there this summer, it was my wife's favorite park.
If you do the Narrows, which is just incredible, stop by Zion Outfitters, just before the park entrance, and at least get a walking stick. They help a LOT w/ balance and hiking poles aren't quite good enough because they can get bent between the rocks. We also got the neoprene socks/shoes since it was our first time and the water was a little chilly in June. You can maybe skip this stuff if you've done it before, but we wanted to be safe our 1st time and with kids. It's about $30 for the bundle.
Angels Landing does require a permit, but you can hike about half (or more) of the way up before permits are enforced. The view is still incredible from that spot. You still hike past Walter's Wiggles and see the valley before the permit area.
Both of these are good options. There is no other hike like the Narrows though.

There is another area outside the park called Kanarra Falls, which also requires permits but they are cheap and just meant for crowd control. Google it, we would have gone there if we had more time. Some people like it more than the park because it's less crowded and it's basically a slot canyon w/ an awesome waterfall thru it.

Desert Dog

Oct 8, 2022
It’s 2.5hr drive from Vegas to Zion so round trip 5hrs on the road. You will have very little time at the park. I could easily spend a week at Zion. I suggest you search some local places like Red River close Canyon.

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
None of the Utah NPs are day trips. Not even Arches. One day does not suffice.
Thx, We just booked 2 nights in Springdale, UT for more park time, and less in Vegas especially with the cyber issues there, who knows what that will end up looking like.

Hail_STATE

Aug 30, 2012
You could do Zion in a day and come away with memorable moments, but you'll wish you stayed longer.

If you are anything like me, prepare to wish you spent all of your Vegas time exploring Utah instead of exploring Vegas (or working during daylight hours inside like me)

Reactions: T-TownDawgg

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
You could do Zion in a day and come away with memorable moments, but you'll wish you stayed longer.

If you are anything like me, prepare to wish you spent all of your Vegas time exploring Utah instead of exploring Vegas (or working during daylight hours inside like me)
I prefer exploring hookers in Vegas.

• Haha
Reactions: Hail_STATE
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login