Our seeding not a shocker, but Vandy at #4???????

M

MsuD00D

Did they win a game outside of Memorial Coliseum?

Kentucky is in, not a shock. Frankly I'm shocked that so many people thought they'd be left out.

Oct 31, 2006
I guess there are some that have a good argument, but I don't see any that clearly have a better claim than the Cats. And let me just say that I have hated UK ever since '77. But I think they deserve the ticket.</p>

BigDickDawg

Mar 3, 2008
There is no way that Vandy should be a 4... i expected us to be a 8, but vandy a 4? did they win a game outside of Memorial?

YazooValley

Mar 16, 2008
Vanderbilt is #12 in the RPI. That would put them at a 3 seed.

They went 10-6 in the SEC and won one in the SEC tournament so they won at least 3 away from Nashville.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Vandy didn't win one in the SEC tournament. They lost to Bama on Thursday. In the regular season they won at Georgia (67-59) and South Carolina (66-65)

Mar 10, 2008
So they've won vs the West 6, the East 5 and the East 6 away from home. And they beat Georgia prior to Georgia playing with a chip on their shoulders.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Yeah, you're right. I screwed up again. The SEC's website doesn't have the tournament results in the team schedules yet and I just saw the loss to Bama as their last game.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
But the flip side of that is that they did defend their home floor. If every team won every game at home, then I'd see your argument against their seeding. Taking care of business for an entire season on your home floor is not an easy task. It's easier to win at home than on the road, but games at home aren't freebies.

And besides, the RPI takes home and road into account in its calculations, and still Vandy was No. 12 in the RPI. That's impressive. They deserved a 4 seed. I thought you guys would get a 6 or a 7, but I guess losing to UGA got you an 8.

BriantheDawg

May 24, 2006
I heard on the radio this morning that after UK lost by 41 points on the road to Vandy, they moved up 8 spots in the RPI. Vandy beat all their ****** competition in the beginning of the year and somehow their RPI was high after that. Once it gets high, it's hard for it to plummet too far. That's why y'alls RPI is still so high. And if you can only manage 2 road victories in a down SEC, with those 2 victories coming against the worst 2 teams in your division, you don't deserve a 4 seed. Vandy is the most over-rated team in the Tourney.

YazooValley

Mar 16, 2008
BriantheDawg said:
Vandy beat all their ****** competition in the beginning of the year and somehow their RPI was high after that. Once it gets high, it's hard for it to plummet too far. And if you can only manage 2 road victories in a down SEC, with those 2 victories coming against the worst 2 teams in your division, you don't deserve a 4 seed. Vandy is the most over-rated team in the Tourney.

Who should have gotten seeded ahead of Vanderbilt and where should Vanderbilt have been seeded? They're #18 in the AP poll which puts them at a 5 seed if that's the guide.

Vandy's "competition in the beginning" wasn't great but it was decent. Vanderbilt played the third hardest non-conference schedule in the SEC. And went undefeated. State played the seventh hardest non-conference schedule and lost 5 times. Vanderbilt had 2 top 50 non-conference wins. State had 0. VU's non-conference SOS -- 94. State's -- 127.

Basically what you're arguing is that the non-conference schedule shouldn't count and seeding should only go by what you did in the conference. I disagree.

</p>

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
If you build a strong RPI early, it's easier to have a strong RPI later only because the RPI doesn't forget what you did early in the season. The same goes for a team that had a poor performance early. If you do that, it's much tougher to get back up because the RPI won't just forget what you did.

As Yazoo just said, it would be wrong to just disregard non-conference play. If you did that, then UK would be a 4 or 5 seed.

Now I'll agree that what you do later in the season may need to carry more weight, but when discussing two teams, you can't just ignore it if they tore it up in non-conference play against quality competition.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
I think we all agree that they should be seeded ahead of us. We didn't beat anybody, really. Howevre, they aren't one of the sixteen best teams in the country. They're average away from home.

To answer your questions: Clemson should be a 4 and Vandy should be a 5.

BriantheDawg

May 24, 2006
dumbass. We're not comparing what Vandy did and what MSU did. We deserve an 8, I'm not disputing that. Vandy on the other hand, has a similar resume, slightly better. Not 4 seeds better. I don't give 2 ***** what their AP rank is, and I'm not discounting their entire schedule. Their best OOC win was UMass and they won all of TWO games on the road in a not-so-good SEC against the 2 worst teams in their Division. Please tell me how that warrants a 4 seed. And again, we're not comparing them and us in case you didn't understand it the first time I typed it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login