Over half of Mississippi's rural hospitals risk closing

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Dr. Daniel Edney, the state health officer, spoke to state senators at a hearing Monday about the financial pressure on Mississippi hospitals. Edney said 54% of the state's rural hospitals — 38 — could close. The potential closures threaten to exacerbate poor health outcomes in one of the nation's poorest states.

“That is a situation that is intolerable from an economic standpoint — to lose 54% of our hospitals in the state — much less from an access to care perspective,” Edney said.
At Greenwood Leflore and other hospitals across the state, maternity care units have been on the chopping block. Mississippi already has the nation’s highest fetal mortality rate, highest infant mortality rate and highest pre-term birth rate, and is among the worst states for maternal mortality.
But hospitals in poor communities often treat patients who don’t have insurance and can’t afford to pay for care out of pocket. An expansion of Medicaid coverage would reduce costs that result from uncompensated care.
Gov. Tate Reeves and other Republican leaders have killed proposals to expand Medicaid, which primarily covers low-income workers whose jobs don’t provide private health insurance.

54% of rural hospitals in the state are at risk for closure? That is heartbreaking and concerning.
Here, 24% of rural hospitals are at risk and one closed last month. That hospital system said it will instead focus on outpatient and specialty care at small clinics.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
Oh well. Don't live in rural MS. D'uh. BTW, Kiffin deserves at least $10 million a year and at least half that for his coaches. Maybe if we close some hospitals we can figure out a way to use the savings on some NIL deals for players. Or, were the hospitals sponsoring some? Anyway, sarcasm aside,I agree on the criticism for not expanding medicaid. Ideologically-driven cruelty that plays well with some self-proclaimed pro-family types. Urban hospitals are a big reason for high healthcare prices. GTHOM

was21

May 29, 2007

54% of rural hospitals in the state are at risk for closure? That is heartbreaking and concerning.
Here, 24% of rural hospitals are at risk and one closed last month. That hospital system said it will instead focus on outpatient and specialty care at small clinics.
and it's a damned shame that Tater refuses to expand Medicaid. Of course, Mississippi elected leaders always make the right decisions...why we're so far ahead of most other states.

UpTheMiddlex3Punt

May 28, 2007
Oh well. Don't live in rural MS. D'uh. BTW, Kiffin deserves at least $10 million a year and at least half that for his coaches. Maybe if we close some hospitals we can figure out a way to use the savings on some NIL deals for players. Or, were the hospitals sponsoring some? Anyway, sarcasm aside,I agree on the criticism for not expanding medicaid. Ideologically-driven cruelty that plays well with some self-proclaimed pro-family types. Urban hospitals are a big reason for high healthcare prices. GTHOM
Who do you think we are? LSU?

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Hospitals are reducing rooms. You don't need them. My wife had a surgery seven years ago and spent three days in the hospital. She had the same surgery again last year, and it was done outpatient. Medicine has advance so much you just don't need that many hospitals.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Well, as a self-proclaimed Christian, you can’t expect Tater to pander to “the least of these”…
Not trying to argue but what can he do? I am really curious. Ray Mabus shut down all the Charity Hospitals. It was a valid reason why he did it. No matter where you live in the State you are within 2 hours of a large city with a large hospital. In reality you are probably within one hour. Is there any public hospital in the State other than UMMC?

Last edited:

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Yes, Medicaid Expansion would HELP (not solve the problems), so let’s go on and clear the table with that.

The elephant in the room is that too many rural hospitals are “job centers,” not healthcare centers. Let’s use Greenwood as an example, their payer mix (ratio of insurance) is about 25% private insurance with the remaining 75% being Medicare, Medicaid, or no payment. The CEO said Medicare/Medicaid pay less than the services actually cost to perform. That is not sustainable even if you expand Medicaid. I would venture to guess that a large number of folks on the Metro Greenwood area with private insurance (a number that is diminishing yearly) seek their healthcare in Jackson, Memphis or somewhere else, not Greenwood. That’s their choice and good for them. But if you ask them if they want to close it, they say “oh no, Uncle Bill works there and he’d lose his job” even though that person would never consider seeking treatment there.

It’s also a job center for the local politicians who place family and friends there in jobs as favors since the county Board of Supervisors is the ultimate owner of the hospital. Counties should not be in the hospital business (looking at you too, Starkville). I have been told their non-healthcare staff is so disproportionate at Greenwood-LeFlore it’s one of the reasons UMMC had to back off from taking it over.

again, Medicaid expansion would help by giving those without coverage some coverage and help reduce the non-payer to the providers, but it’s not going to drastically make the healthcare delivery system perfect by any means.

NashLA

May 5, 2009
Responsibility for the failure of Greenwood Leflore Hospital lies directly at the feet of the completely inept city and Hospital management. They've been losing millions every month for years upon years, yet refused to address the mismanagement. They had an opportunity to be bought out and run by UMMC but royally screwed that up due to complete stupidity. G'wood government deserves *** of the century award.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Not trying to argue but what can he do? I am really curious. Ray Mabus shut down all the Charity Hospitals. It was a valid reason why he did it. No matter where you live in the State you are within 2 hours of a large city with a large hospital. In reality you are probably within one hour. Is there any public hospital in the State other than UMMC?
Most hospitals are government Owned in Mississippi. Usually a combination of city and county or just county.

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
Yes, Medicaid Expansion would HELP (not solve the problems), so let’s go on and clear the table with that.

The elephant in the room is that too many rural hospitals are “job centers,” not healthcare centers. Let’s use Greenwood as an example, their payer mix (ratio of insurance) is about 25% private insurance with the remaining 75% being Medicare, Medicaid, or no payment. The CEO said Medicare/Medicaid pay less than the services actually cost to perform. That is not sustainable even if you expand Medicaid. I would venture to guess that a large number of folks on the Metro Greenwood area with private insurance (a number that is diminishing yearly) seek their healthcare in Jackson, Memphis or somewhere else, not Greenwood. That’s their choice and good for them. But if you ask them if they want to close it, they say “oh no, Uncle Bill works there and he’d lose his job” even though that person would never consider seeking treatment there.

It’s also a job center for the local politicians who place family and friends there in jobs as favors since the county Board of Supervisors is the ultimate owner of the hospital. Counties should not be in the hospital business (looking at you too, Starkville). I have been told their non-healthcare staff is so disproportionate at Greenwood-LeFlore it’s one of the reasons UMMC had to back off from taking it over.

again, Medicaid expansion would help by giving those without coverage some coverage and help reduce the non-payer to the providers, but it’s not going to drastically make the healthcare delivery system perfect by any means.
Very accurate analysis, Medicaid and Medicare are the lowest payors. If they were the only insurance around to pay providers and hospitals we would have an even worse healthcare crisis. The hospitals are poorly managed for the most part, there are too many hospitals etc. On and on are the reasons for closure.
Did you know Medicare/caid are cutting provider(healthcare heroes) payments 5% next year?
Better management and reimbursement structure are the solution so these hospitals and others across the state can survive. The post Covid healthcare economy is devastating hospital budgets.

Now BCBS/UHC, they’re doing record profits!

Reactions: WilCoDawg

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Well, as a self-proclaimed Christian, you can’t expect Tater to pander to “the least of these”…
Considering pretty much all of MS is considered under-served, you'd think the Tot would stop giving all the money to Paul LaCoste and family members and friends. He's straight up Mississippi.

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
Hospitals are reducing rooms. You don't need them. My wife had a surgery seven years ago and spent three days in the hospital. She had the same surgery again last year, and it was done outpatient. Medicine has advance so much you just don't need that many hospitals.
I’m not sure what surgery she had but, the COVID shut down and decreased bed availability converted many overnight stay surgeries to outpatient procedures and it has not changed back. Robotic hysterectomy, spine surgeries are examples. Insurance companies love this because it lowers their costs/increases profits.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Very accurate analysis, Medicaid and Medicare are the lowest payors. If they were the only insurance around to pay providers and hospitals we would have an even worse healthcare crisis. The hospitals are poorly managed for the most part, there are too many hospitals etc. On and on are the reasons for closure.
Did you know Medicare/caid are cutting provider(healthcare heroes) payments 5% next year?
Better management and reimbursement structure are the solution so these hospitals and others across the state can survive. The post Covid healthcare economy is devastating hospital budgets.

Now BCBS/UHC, they’re doing record profits!
Insurance companies have really pulled back what they're covering now, so things are about to get worse.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
Expand medicaid? He and his cronies are keeping federal funds from Mississippi. I’m not a hospital admin so I can’t say that cures all rural ills but should help some of them.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I keep up with my Greenwood friends on FB and somebody said a little while back that pre-natal stuff is basically gone from Greenwood Leflore Hospital and women are having to go to Grenada. Total BS. I'm sure soon some woman's gonna give birth on HWY 7 somewhere past Teoc. I think it's about a 35-40 minute drive up there.

was21

May 29, 2007

Can you use that same analysis as an analogy to the educational system in the state of Mississippi with respect to teachers and other administrative staff? I'll hang up and listen...thanks

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Can you use that same analysis as an analogy to the educational system in the state of Mississippi with respect to teachers and other administrative staff? I'll hang up and listen...thanks
Yes, same principal. We need more consolidation of k-12, CJC, and IHL to reduce admin costs and increase instructional (and research for IHL) budget.

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
Consolidation of schools saves money at the expense of education in a lot of places. It's not a fix all.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Less private pay and lower Medicare payments.
It’s really just a bad patient mix combined with the government strangling the supply of doctors. There aren’t enough doctors so if hospitals tried to pay doctors wages that Medicaid and Medicare would support, while that would still provide them a. Good income, it’d be much less than they’d make working at a hospital with 75% private insurance rather than 25% private insurance.
As mentioned, Medicaid expansion would help reduce uncompensated care, but it doesn’t fix the problem.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Because the payment models changed drastically when the ACA was passed, and hospitals were incentivized for less stays and less repeat stays, therefore needing more volume. Rurals don’t have the volume.
Except the ACA added more volume for the rurals by expanding Medicaid. It was a very intentional offsetting tradeoff. Don't blame the ACA that MS won't take the Medicaid money.

Duke Humphrey

Oct 3, 2013
Except the ACA added more volume for the rurals by expanding Medicaid. It was a very intentional offsetting tradeoff. Don't blame the ACA that MS won't take the Medicaid money.
I’ve already said Expansion would help, but expansion would not produce the consistent volume needed to keep the rural hospitals afloat as they currently operate

MSUGUY

Oct 11, 2020
ACA added about 90, 000 lives insured in MS, that’s something very good but at what “cost “ to the way hc is delivered/insured for the vast majority
of Americans, personally my premiums are skyrocketing. The dems had a great opportunity to fix things, don’t count on Republicans to help.

Podgy

Oct 1, 2022
It’s really just a bad patient mix combined with the government strangling the supply of doctors. There aren’t enough doctors so if hospitals tried to pay doctors wages that Medicaid and Medicare would support, while that would still provide them a. Good income, it’d be much less than they’d make working at a hospital with 75% private insurance rather than 25% private insurance.
As mentioned, Medicaid expansion would help reduce uncompensated care, but it doesn’t fix the problem.
The AMA is the best labor union ever created.

catvet

May 11, 2009
The other problem with Medicaid expansion is how much do you want to pay in taxes. After a certain amount of years, the Feds pass on increasing amounts to the state to cover. Eventually it would cost the state billions. And you are the one to pay that. That's why all these free lunch deals sound great, until you read the fine print. Are you interested in paying 5 to 10k more a year in taxes. I'm not

Reactions: HeCannotGo
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login