Overreaction to the game

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
The overreaction by this board is exactly why coaches like Chip Kelly decided to not play his bowl game. You guys know how many starters we had out. It was not a secret. We should have still played better but you guys can’t act like we had our normal lineup. We also had some bad luck that made things snowball. That incomplete pass their QB had could have easily gone the other way. It was a bang bang play. Austin Williams dropping that punt. Has he dropped a pass all year?

I’m not trying to pump sunshine. It was an awful performance but the post acting like Leach does not care or is a terrible coach and rogers is terrible are simply an overreaction

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
There were plenty of times we had protection and had our best receivers in the route and we looked like a jumbled up mess. Effort did not seem to be there either. It didnt help that the opposing coach ran this same playbook 20 years ago- probably the same napkin then. They knew our routes and our calls. Coming off the heels of a pathetic Egg Bowl its a huge step back.

But this is the risk you run when your coach shows little emotion. Compare his approach with what you saw from Cumbie last night. The teams took on the identity of their coach.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
The overreaction by this board is exactly why coaches like Chip Kelly decided to not play his bowl game. You guys know how many starters we had out. It was not a secret. We should have still played better but you guys can’t act like we had our normal lineup. We also had some bad luck that made things snowball. That incomplete pass their QB had could have easily gone the other way. It was a bang bang play. Austin Williams dropping that punt. Has he dropped a pass all year?

I’m not trying to pump sunshine. It was an awful performance but the post acting like Leach does not care or is a terrible coach and rogers is terrible are simply an overreaction

Actually, I don't. I did not get to listen to commentary during the game, so I'm sure it stated who was out, but I did not hear it.

I know we were missing Lashley and I knew Cross had opted out. But it seemed like we had most everybody else on offense????? That was extremely disappointing to me to see us look like **** even when our offensive line did their job.

On defense, I knew Emerson opted out. Who else was out?

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
DS posted a list in another thread. There were several starters on the list that didn’t even include Cross or Emerson. The defense had more out than the offense. But after the injury to one of our OL, we were essentially down 3 starters on the OL. That stuff can’t be ignored.

PhredPhantom

Mar 3, 2008
The *MAIN* responsibility of any coach in any sport is to have his team ready to play the next game.

Texas Tech’s coach (who wasn’t good enough for them to retain and is leaving for Louisiana Tech) did his job.

Our coach, to whom we are paying FIVE MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR and we are keeping, did not.

It’s just that simple.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
The *MAIN* responsibility of any coach in any sport is to have his team ready to play the next game.

Texas Tech’s coach (who wasn’t good enough for them to retain and is leaving for Louisiana Tech) did his job.

Our coach, to whom we are paying FIVE MILLION DOLLARS A YEAR and we are keeping, did not.

It’s just that simple.

You don’t think losing multiple starters a day or 2 before the game impacts the preparation that has been in place?

8dog

Feb 23, 2008
We only lost one offensive starter just before the game.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Actually, I don't. I did not get to listen to commentary during the game, so I'm sure it stated who was out, but I did not hear it.

I know we were missing Lashley and I knew Cross had opted out. But it seemed like we had most everybody else on offense????? That was extremely disappointing to me to see us look like **** even when our offensive line did their job.

On defense, I knew Emerson opted out. Who else was out?
Good Lord. How can you even pretend to ***** if you didn't realize this obvious fact?

Heath was also out on offense too, by the way. He's a starter.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
The offense was still disappointing because until Dolla Bill went down they were providing great protection for the most part. Rogers and the receivers looked out of sync.

The defense gets a complete pass by me. That was a skeleton crew out there and they played well enough to give a chance to win but they ran out of gas in the second half.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
Good Lord. How can you even pretend to ***** if you didn't realize this obvious fact?

We didn't have Heath or cross for bowl practices. We planned on them being out. We were a 10-pt favorite, and we only scored 7. If you can't at least concede the offense was a total flop, you just take up for coaches no matter what.

We were a total disaster offensively in last year's bowl also

ETA... texas tech has the 94th scoring defense nationally; we helped that. Kansas was the only other team that didn't score at least 20.... Kansas got 14. Kansas doubled us up

Last edited:

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
We didn't have Heath or cross for bowl practices. We planned on them being out. We were a 10-pt favorite, and we only scored 7. If you can't at least concede the offense was a total flop, you just take up for coaches no matter what.

ETA... texas tech has the 94th scoring defense nationally; we helped that. Kansas was the only other team that didn't score at least 2.0.... Kansas got 14. Kansas doubled us up

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021

ETA... texas tech has the 94th scoring defense nationally; we helped that. Kansas was the only other team that didn't score at least 20.... Kansas got 14. Kansas doubled us up
Offense was bad but surely you can see how all these variables played on each other? If you can't, you're just trying too hard to be negative.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
Probably should have came back to hotel and prepared mentally for game after team meal on Monday night, instead of going to Dave and Buster’s to play ski ball and ****.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
There were plenty of times we had protection and had our best receivers in the route and we looked like a jumbled up mess. Effort did not seem to be there either. It didnt help that the opposing coach ran this same playbook 20 years ago- probably the same napkin then. They knew our routes and our calls. Coming off the heels of a pathetic Egg Bowl its a huge step back.

But this is the risk you run when your coach shows little emotion. Compare his approach with what you saw from Cumbie last night. The teams took on the identity of their coach.

There were several times when they showed Cumbie on the sidelines and I had a brief moment where I thought I'd trade Leach for Cumbie in a heartbeat. I had to remind myself that he was 1-3 at interim coach prior to our game... but damn, his excitement and his desire to punch us in the mouth was refreshing to see.

Another thing that I've grown kind of pissed off about Leach, is that every one of his protege's, whether it's a former player (Kliff, Cumbie) or GA/Coach (Riley)... they seem to have no issues incorporating creative run concepts into the gameplan. Last night, TTech ran a few triple option plays against us. And they worked pretty well. I remember pre-season when Hadad (not a knock on him - he's only reporting what he saw) said that we worked on some read-option **** in fall camp. Did Rogers keep any read-option play this year? If he did any read option this saeason, he always handed it off.

After the Arkansas game, I posted about how I could start to see the light on how Leach could work in the SEC. We then proceeded to need to the biggest comeback in school history to beat Auburn (while it was fun to watch, it was about as miserable of a first half as we've had in a game against an opponent we can beat), we looked like **** against OM, and we looked like a high school team against TTech. I'm back off the train and will impatiently wait on Leach to drag my *** back on board.

I'm so sick of him and this style of play.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
OL didn’t kill State, piss poor execution from the skill positions did. The defense did well in the middle of the game and the offense gave them no help. There’s no excuse for it. Let’s hope they get much better next year because most of their opponents will. Six wins will be a struggle.

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Based on accounts in other threads, the Democrats cost MSU the game

Last edited:

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
OL didn’t kill State, piss poor execution from the skill positions did. The defense did well in the middle of the game and the offense gave them no help. There’s no excuse for it. Let’s hope they get much better next year because most of their opponents will. Six wins will be a struggle.

Our skill positions on offense definitely **** the bed. Execution and then lack of adaption or motivation to get going killed us

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

Well, I haven't bitched about defense because I didn't know who was out. I am bothered by the offense in that when I saw the OL actually blocking, we still couldn't execute. That's worrisome.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login