P4 OOC V 9 SEC games?

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
We've played/have on our schedule some great "same tier" OOC P(what ever) games and I hope that continues. I've really been looking forward to this game as it's just more interesting to me than yet another round with an SEC team. I'm bored with them and would guess they're bored with us. If (or I should say, when the money is right) we move to 9 SEC games I hope we drop a G(what ever) game, keep the FCS game for the "good of the game" and still schedule these fun OOC games. I've had a great time chatting up the KSU, NCSU and AZ fans when they've been here over the past few years.
Just helps CFB be more "national" and entertaining for me and isn't that what this is fundamentally supposed to be about?

DAWGSANDSAINTS

Oct 10, 2022
8 SEC games, 1 other P5 home and home and 3 other winnable games.
I want to play Army in a home and home in the next 10 years.

Reactions: Anon1664516582

Cdeer

Apr 10, 2020
8 SEC games, 1 other P5 home and home and 3 other winnable games.
I want to play Army in a home and home in the next 10 years.
We got to go see army at Monroe last year, fun game, the guys in the band played football with my boy before the game

11thEagleFan

Sep 6, 2015
We've played/have on our schedule some great "same tier" OOC P(what ever) games and I hope that continues. I've really been looking forward to this game as it's just more interesting to me than yet another round with an SEC team. I'm bored with them and would guess they're bored with us. If (or I should say, when the money is right) we move to 9 SEC games I hope we drop a G(what ever) game, keep the FCS game for the "good of the game" and still schedule these fun OOC games. I've had a great time chatting up the KSU, NCSU and AZ fans when they've been here over the past few years.
Just helps CFB be more "national" and entertaining for me and isn't that what this is fundamentally supposed to be about?
Couldn’t disagree more. College football, at its best, is more “regional” than national.

Called3rdstrikedawg

May 7, 2016
9 SEC games will be bad for State. No way Birmingham will ever schedule State to play Vandy, USCe, Arkansas, Kentucky and Ole Miss on the road in the same season they schedule State to play Auburn, Missouri, Florida and A&M at home. Will NEVER happen. In fact I could see them scheduling State to play 5 SEC road games every year! But for sure the years State plays 5 SEC road games they will have to play 1 OOC road game and be the only SEC team with only 6 home games that season.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

patdog

May 28, 2007
When in doubt, assume the worst for MSU. No doubt this will eventually happen. They’ll cave to the pressure.
They have to. They're not going to add a 9th SEC game just to drop the attractive P4 matchup so we can play another game vs. Troy.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
9 SEC games will be bad for State. No way Birmingham will ever schedule State to play Vandy, USCe, Arkansas, Kentucky and Ole Miss on the road in the same season they schedule State to play Auburn, Missouri, Florida and A&M at home. Will NEVER happen. In fact I could see them scheduling State to play 5 SEC road games every year! But for sure the years State plays 5 SEC road games they will have to play 1 OOC road game and be the only SEC team with only 6 home games that season.
We all know that. But the SEC could give half a shlt about what we think.

Reactions: Ranchdawg

pseudonym

Oct 6, 2022
Once we go to 9 SEC games, I want our non-con to be as easy as possible. Going 3-6 to make a bowl and 7-2 to make the CFP is hard enough.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I don’t think the SEC is going to put a 9th conference game on the schedule until/unless one or both of these happen:
1. The Big Ten consistently crowds out the SEC from the playoff field
2. ESPN ponies up for the additional 8 games

I don’t see either of those happening any time soon.

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
Yeah. If we go to 9 SEC games, I’d rather play that P5 school in December or January because if we play them in September we’ll have a hard time playing any games in Dec/Jan except for our up years.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don’t think the SEC is going to put a 9th conference game on the schedule until/unless one or both of these happen:
1. The Big Ten consistently crowds out the SEC from the playoff field
2. ESPN ponies up for the additional 8 games

I don’t see either of those happening any time soon.
It’ll be interesting for sure. But SEC has a scheduling problem with the 1-7 format that was proposed. You lose some big rivalries with less than 2 permanent opponents. They’re trying to hold out for more money from ESPN before moving to 9 games, but I think the SEC will cave in 2026 even without it & we’ll go with the 3-6 format. And I think ESPN knows that.

Reactions: Dawgg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Here is the formula that needs to be in place for the SEC and B1G for their new “partnership”.

1) 9 conference games

2) 2 P4 games, with special emphasis on those 2 leagues playing each other.

3) 1 cupcake G5 or FCS game

4) Use the combined strength and influence of the 2 leagues to eliminate the 6-win requirement for bowl eligibility. A reasonable concession to benefit the lower tier teams in all of the P4, but really will benefit everybody. The only caveat is that all 6-6 or better P4 teams are to be placed in bowl games first, but may not be placed in the “highest” bowl game that they might be eligible for.

That all adds up to more money.

#1 means that the only 2 leagues that are going to have anyone with a realistic natty chance are going to have similar scheduling practices, meaning neither league has an incentive to load up on cupcakes. This brings in better matchups, thus bigger TV deals.

#’s 2 and 3 means P4 teams reduce by 1/2 or 2/3 the amount they need to pay every year for rent-a-win games that nobody cares to watch. Replace it with home and home P4 deals and additional league games where no such slush fund is required. Again, more money / profit.

#4 again supports all the above in removing every incentive to schedule weak opponents.

Last edited:

leeinator

Feb 24, 2014
Just helps CFB be more "national" and entertaining for me and isn't that what this is1 fundamentally supposed to be about?

Would be better for MSU to play 8 SEC & 4 OOC games per year. Most years we will be very average and an 8/4 schedule is our better option to make a bowl game. If we do go to a 9/3 schedule, I hope the 3 OOC games are 1 SWAC game, 1 game like Tulane/Memphis/USM rotating game, & 1 exotic P4 game like the AZST home & away deal. Make the P4 game to interesting places like out west, up north, or east coast. And I would prefer the SWAC game to be against a Mississippi SWAC team so the money can stay in-state and help their programs.....although I wouldn't be opposed to playing Grambling. What I would really like to see is college football go to a 13 game regular season schedule and the SEC play a 9/4 format.

Last edited:
Reactions: Spidey.sixpack

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I agree the sec slate was getting stale. It will be nice to have the traditional sec east teams rotate on the schedule more often.

However a perfect schedule to me will always be any 6 of 10 sec schools (prior to 92) with USM, Memphis and Tulane mixed in.
Playing USC, aTm and Missouri still seem like OOC games to me.

I don't mind the fcs game as the first game of the season ..... as long as we have a 12 game schedule. I get college team need a dress rehearsal. However after that, it should be 1 G5, 1 P4 ooc and 9 sec games.

As was said, football is entertainment. The games should be interesting.

Last edited:

Villagedawg

Nov 16, 2005
Here is the formula that needs to be in place for the SEC and B1G for their new “partnership”.

1) 9 conference games

2) 2 P4 games, with special emphasis on those 2 leagues playing each other.

3) 1 cupcake G5 or FCS game

4) Use the combined strength and influence of the 2 leagues to eliminate the 6-win requirement for bowl eligibility. A reasonable concession to benefit the lower tier teams in all of the P4, but really will benefit everybody. The only caveat is that all 6-6 or better P4 teams are to be placed in bowl games first, but may not be placed in the “highest” bowl game that they might be eligible for.

That all adds up to more money.

#1 means that the only 2 leagues that are going to have anyone with a realistic natty chance are going to have similar scheduling practices, meaning neither league has an incentive to load up on cupcakes. This brings in better matchups, thus bigger TV deals.

#’s 2 and 3 means P4 teams reduce by 1/2 or 2/3 the amount they need to pay every year for rent-a-win games that nobody cares to watch. Replace it with home and home P4 deals and additional league games where no such slush fund is required. Again, more money / profit.

#4 again supports all the above in removing every incentive to schedule weak opponents.
Would make for a great season of football to watch. However, in our really good years we have a ceiling of about 7-5 under this plan.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
State Fans: We can't compete!
Also State Fans: Let's make our schedule tougher and pla another SEC team
We are in the SEC, that alone guarantees a national class scheduled.
We all know this. We all want as easy of a schedule as possible. We all know why. Try and keep up, and stop making 2010-era points.

Again, the SEC doesn't care what we think. The smart people in this thread are discussing what likely could happen, not what we want to happen and/or what's best for MSU.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
9 is coming
1 OOC with a p4 team is coming

10 quaility opponents on the schedule. 2 gimme's

Means you gotta win 4 of the others to go bowling and 8 of the others to be in contention for a playoff spot.

Minus the 9th conference game, all the major players of the SEC have been playing a quality OOC team every season for the last 10 years or so. So it wont be much of a change.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
We all know this. We all want as easy of a schedule as possible. We all know why. Try and keep up, and stop making 2010-era points.

Again, the SEC doesn't care what we think. The smart people in this thread are discussing what likely could happen, not what we want to happen and/or what's best for MSU.
I wouldn't expect you to discuss what's best for MSU.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
9 is coming
1 OOC with a p4 team is coming

10 quaility opponents on the schedule. 2 gimme's

Means you gotta win 4 of the others to go bowling and 8 of the others to be in contention for a playoff spot.

Minus the 9th conference game, all the major players of the SEC have been playing a quality OOC team every season for the last 10 years or so. So it wont be much of a change.
That's the whole point of this discussion....it will be a HUGE change, for everyone. For the top teams vying for the playoff, and for the middle and bottom teams vying for various bowls.

Ever wondered why the SEC is pushing so hard to NOT do it? They know it's going to be hard. It's 8 more auto-conference losses.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Would make for a great season of football to watch. However, in our really good years we have a ceiling of about 7-5 under this plan.
As compared to our current ceiling of…..8-4? Is that really a huge difference?

I mean, I think it all sucks now regardless, but given the choice…..I take the option where MSU’s athletic department gets more money, and has more opportunities to pull off high profile wins or upsets.

Literally every other sport, at every level, on planet earth has moved way past the point of judging teams based solely on W-L record…..EXCEPT FBS football. 8-4 / 4-4 vs 7-5 / 4-5, where the only difference is you trade a win over EKU for a loss against LSU….nobody with a clue views those 2 outcomes any differently.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Week 2 P4 v SEC.

Tx v Mich
Ark v OkSt
Tn v NcSt
&tate v AzSt
Aub v Cal
Ok v HouSton

6-0? No way but Tx and Ark look good so far, for a good start

patdog

May 28, 2007
As compared to our current ceiling of…..8-4? Is that really a huge difference?

I mean, I think it all sucks now regardless, but given the choice…..I take the option where MSU’s athletic department gets more money, and has more opportunities to pull off high profile wins or upsets.

Literally every other sport, at every level, on planet earth has moved way past the point of judging teams based solely on W-L record…..EXCEPT FBS football. 8-4 / 4-4 vs 7-5 / 4-5, where the only difference is you trade a win over EKU for a loss against LSU….nobody with a clue views those 2 outcomes any differently.
But you ARE judged on your record. In every sport. And 1 more SEC game & 1 less G5/I-AA game in a 12- game schedule is a significant change.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login