Packing the Hump

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
The horse that is our men’s basketball fan base and attendance issues has been beaten down over the last decade. This year under Jans (SEC play and TCU is what I’ll focus on) the Hump not only seems to have more people but they are engaged and making their presence known. The Alabama and ole miss games were both sellouts. Tennessee and the Florida games saw packed student sections and while the rest of the arena may not have been as full the atmosphere was very good. Yesterday against TCU the crowd took over the OT and we truly had a 6th man despite the team being on a 5 game losing streak. Are we seeing a change or is this just the honeymoon phase for Jans?

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Anon1669338224

Nov 24, 2022
Those big shot towards the end really got the crowd going. I was impressed with the student section as well. After reading this board you would think they didn't even come to games anymore.

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Bulldog45

Oct 2, 2018
The horse that is our men’s basketball fan base and attendance issues has been beaten down over the last decade. This year under Jans (SEC play and TCU is what I’ll focus on) the Hump not only seems to have more people but they are engaged and making their presence known. The Alabama and ole miss games were both sellouts. Tennessee and the Florida games saw packed student sections and while the rest of the arena may not have been as full the atmosphere was very good. Yesterday against TCU the crowd took over the OT and we truly had a 6th man despite the team being on a 5 game losing streak. Are we seeing a change or is this just the honeymoon phase for Jans?
MSU fans feed off effort and defense. Always have as long as I can remember and that’s the Bob Boyd days.

Reactions: 60sdog

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
It’s easy to see competence and effort. We didn’t have the effort under Howland. Didn’t have competence under Ray. Stans had both until there at the end.

Fans are attracted to both.

retire the banner

Dec 29, 2022
Jans is a good coach and will have a successful tenure if we can keep him around. MBB deserves everyone’s support.

Unfortunately the last decade had some very tough seasons and some fans exited the 2011-2021 MBB era with a bizarre disdain towards the basketball program and are still constantly looking for reasons to not support this year’s team.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

curseddawgs

Jun 16, 2021
Those big shot towards the end really got the crowd going. I was impressed with the student section as well. After reading this board you would think they didn't even come to games anymore.
The student section has been fantastic since the ole miss game and was solid before that as well

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Does Selman have the authority to get the students back down on the floor? Or would that create too much biatchin' from those who currently have those seats?

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
The one thing about Cohen I always despised was his efforts to get the rich guys the best seat, even though many of them don’t show up for the game. That’s why there are so many empty seats around the bottom, and at the Dude. Premium seating. Maybe that’s the way of colleges all over, but I don’t like it.

Reactions: peewee.sixpack

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007
I took my HS freshman son to the opener against Bammer….

We packed that place out. I was in one of the only sections that had any amount of Bama fans, and it was just 2 rows….

The student section was rocking that night, for sure, and they’ve been good all season. Win or lose, plus the massive amounts of construction, it was a great intro to the Hump! It hasn’t been like that in over a decade.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Think back to all that whining during the holidays when all that was posted about the games was poor crowds, and we were winning! This board has short term memory during the first 10+ games of the year EVERY year

Reactions: Anon1669338224
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login