Palease don't politicize this ! SPS investment gurus

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
You’re probably going to get hit. I wouldn’t go crazy trying to mitigate this risk.

I have some energy plays I’ve held since 2020. I might flip those with crude north of $100.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Sell everything last week. Dow is going to open down 800. Today is going to be brutal.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
You’re probably going to get hit. I wouldn’t go crazy trying to mitigate this risk.

I have some energy plays I’ve held since 2020. I might flip those with crude north of $100.

As usual this is going to present some "opportunities" but where.

Easy enough if you're still earning money and investing. Just take the hit and keep putting money in as it falls. Almost certainly not the optimal play, but avoids locking in losses and ensures you will buy some stocks at a discount.

Lot more complicated if you're no longer earning. May be (probably is?) too late to sell without a big risk of locking in losses and missing the rebound.

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
The answer to being a long term investor never changes

Stay diversified. Own some stocks in different sectors, own some diversified mutual funds, own some real estate, own some precious metals, own some crypto. Stay diversified. If you're spread out you will weather all of these down turns. Putting everything into one asset is what creates more anxiety.

If you're looking for day trading advice or you're a professional trader then that's a different deal. But for 95% the above advice is the only thing you need to know. Reacting to daily and monthly developments is wrong for someone investing for their families future.

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I'm all cash right now.

By cash, do you literally mean like money market funds? Ballsy to be all cash in a >7% inflationary environment.

I know it's going lower and I could avoid some losses by getting out, I just am too scared of missing the rebound. Probablly should be a little more active with moving between stocks and bonds/cash/whatever, even if it's just moving 10-30% out of stocks when they get really frothy or start dropping, but I have so far just made my piece with the fact that when they're dropping, I'm still putting enough away each year to get some benefit. Probably getting to the age/portfolio size where that's not going to be good enough going forward.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Been on the sidelines since 30 Dec. Easy to see this coming, even back then, the hard part is knowing when to get back in.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
How are the orange futures? I say buy pork bellies.****

Last edited:

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Been on the sidelines since 30 Dec. Easy to see this coming, even back then, the hard part is knowing when to get back in.

Yeah, my strategy is to wait until everyone is bitching about it. Then dump it all back in. If nothing, I would gain back the 15% it already dropped. Not bad money to pick up as other people are frantically selling.
If 2008 taught me anything, it is to just keep your money in and wait. It's going to hurt, but when it rebounds you will make more and look like a genius.

I am not a financial advisor, but it is easy to see, the people that got out took a damn beating in 2008 because they were too scared to get back in at the right time.

I am holding a **** ton of cash right now, but I am going to throw it into the ring, once every single person on the planet is screaming about it.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Yeah, my strategy is to wait until everyone is bitching about it. Then dump it all back in. If nothing, I would gain back the 15% it already dropped. Not bad money to pick up as other people are frantically selling.
If 2008 taught me anything, it is to just keep your money in and wait. It's going to hurt, but when it rebounds you will make more and look like a genius.

I am not a financial advisor, but it is easy to see, the people that got out took a damn beating in 2008 because they were too scared to get back in at the right time.

I am holding a **** ton of cash right now, but I am going to throw it into the ring, once every single person on the planet is screaming about it.

I was already in a defensive position when the market crashed in 2008, but got back in full bore too early and lost some money (not as much as most though). I'm going to be more judicious this time, I'm 55 and looking at retiring at the end of next year.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
For those really plugged into the energy sector, what realistic "at the pump" prices are we looking at for early summer?

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
That may depend on the ongoing nuclear talks with Iran.

If a deal is reached, expect more oil.

Crazy Cotton

Aug 26, 2012
Be glad you're not trading on the Russian index. Down 34% today

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Russia has been the largest purchaser of gold (by weight) since at least 2015. It is likely Putin wanted something of value to trade in the case they were cut off from electronic access to the internation banking sector. They will be trading gold and oil with the countries still willing to do business with them to make up for the shortfalls of the sanctions they are now under. It's been a calculated risk for some time. They will likely have to turn to Chinese brand cell phones from here on out. I doubt any iPhones or Galaxies will be making their way into the country unless they are smuggled.

MSUDAWGFAN

Apr 17, 2014
I'm no pro here or anything, but I'm all in on FB and I'll tell you why.

It has a P/E ratio of just over 14, which is historically low, especially for a stock with the history of FB. They have a virtual monopoly on VR, which will be easy to monetize. I watched an NBA game last Friday night on it. Magic vs Nuggets. I was on the front row. The people I was talking to couldn't believe it was free. So cool how you can be right there. Maybe you wouldn't pay to see the Magic vs Nuggets. Ok. But would you pay to see your favorite band do a live show? What about MSU winning the CWS again, if you couldn't be there in person?

Also, there are ways around the Apple and Google privacy issues. FB already knows most everything about you without those workarounds anyway.

Plus it'll be easy to sell advertising in the Metaverse too.

I believe the analysts have it wrong. The people who doubt VR are the ones who haven't done it in a long time, if ever. The Oculus is amazing and it's only going to get better.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login