Pappy Van Winkle opinion

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
I was at an event last night were the host pulls out a full bottle of Pappy. I’ll preface this by saying I’m not a big bourbon drinker, I drink rum and can generally tell the difference between cheap rum and good rum. I was genuinely disappointed in the Pappy, it tasted like most any other bourbon I’ve drank. I wish I could have appreciated it but it was just meh!

Reactions: WilCoDawg

AlSwearengen2

Nov 29, 2022
Which one did you have? The 20 yr is good at $100, nothing is good at $1300 in my opinion.

I had some 20 yr about 15 years ago in Las Vegas and it was good enough that i started seeking it out and buying it when i found it. Retail was $85 at the time. This was just before the big bourbon movement.

Also, i don’t know that today’s pappy is the same pappy from several years ago. If I’m remembering correctly, the family lost the business and a son or grandson or someone restarted the pappy production in a different place.

Raiderdawg

Sep 28, 2022
None of them are worth the secondary market prices.

The 23 & 20 are excellent bourbons, but it’s more about rarity that quality at this point.

The 15 yr, Special Reserve and Old Rip are middle of the road bourbons. They always finish middle of the pack when we have one in a blind tasting. If you can get them MSRP, then you have something rare that’s a story.

There are several BTAC (Buffalo Trace makes Pappy now) that I would take over any Pappy unless I planned to sell the bottle. I picked up Eagle Rare 17 at MSRP & it is, IMO, better than any Pappy.

RiverCityDawg

Dec 30, 2009
None of them are worth the secondary market prices.

The 23 & 20 are excellent bourbons, but it’s more about rarity that quality at this point.

The 15 yr, Special Reserve and Old Rip are middle of the road bourbons. They always finish middle of the pack when we have one in a blind tasting. If you can get them MSRP, then you have something rare that’s a story.

There are several BTAC (Buffalo Trace makes Pappy now) that I would take over any Pappy unless I planned to sell the bottle. I picked up Eagle Rare 17 at MSRP & it is, IMO, better than any Pappy.
I've only had the 15yr from 2021 and Old Rip 10 from 2020 (I think). The 15yr was really good. The Old Rip was fine. I would pay retail for both (haha, as if that was realistic), but not more. Definitely not as good as the hype.

On the other hand I got to try the entire 2022 BTAC lineup and I thought every one of them was fantastic and lived up to the hype. The Saz 18 and Eagle Rare 17 far exceeded my modest expectations. The George T Stagg was the best whiskey I've ever had. The WLW, probably second best.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
I do not see the reasoning behind spending over $30 on a bottle of bourbon. After 2 or 3 shots it's all good. Just like beer. After 2 or 3 beers the natty lite will do if you run out of Ultra. It all tastes like piss but that ain't really why you are drinking it

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Which one did you have? The 20 yr is good at $100, nothing is good at $1300 in my opinion.

I had some 20 yr about 15 years ago in Las Vegas and it was good enough that i started seeking it out and buying it when i found it. Retail was $85 at the time. This was just before the big bourbon movement.

Also, i don’t know that today’s pappy is the same pappy from several years ago. If I’m remembering correctly, the family lost the business and a son or grandson or someone restarted the pappy production in a different place.
Someone there said it was $1400 a bottle. No idea if they knew or even knew what they were talking about. It could have been Makers in a Pappy bottle if I hadn't seen the seal broken. ****, why didn't I keep the bottle?

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Bourban craze is nothing but pure marketing (like anything else), I've seen plenty of blind taste tests, even so-called experts can't tell them apart 50% of the time.
Are you say that all bourbons taste so similar that "experts" can't tell them apart or are you saying Pappy vintages can't be distinguished?

Because I am actually pretty ****** at it and I can tell you all kinds of differences in bourbons. You line up a glass of Old Forester, Maker's Mark, and Buffalo Trace and a monkey can tell the difference.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Saying it doesn't taste much different than cheap bourbon is saying you don't know **** about bourbon.

That said, most of the people buying it at exorbitant prices are showing off, nothing more.

It's a fine bourbon. Worth $75+ a bottle in any age. The prices being paid are good for the sellers and equivalent to cosmetic surgery for the buyers. Makes you look better than you are (in bourbon terms)

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Are you say that all bourbons taste so similar that "experts" can't tell them apart or are you saying Pappy vintages can't be distinguished?

Because I am actually pretty ****** at it and I can tell you all kinds of differences in bourbons. You line up a glass of Old Forester, Maker's Mark, and Buffalo Trace and a monkey can tell the difference.
I'm saying overall. Let's do a test taste in football season.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I'm saying overall. Let's do a test taste in football season.
You just don't drink bourbon, unmixed at least, if you feel this way. Had my wife swap around these three wheaters for a blind tasting and it took one sip of each to say which was which. And these all come from virtually identical mash bills, but different distilleries.

PXL_20230514_221306637_copy_2016x1134.jpg

I can do this all day. No different than someone that drinks a lot of beer can tell the difference between a lager, an IPA, and a stout. Now if you give me three glasses with no idea what they are, I probably can't tell you especially if I do not drink it regularly. But I will get you in the ballpark on age, mash bill, and proof.

I'm not special. Everyone that drinks a decent amount of whiskey can do this. We won't always agree, but we all can tell big differences.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
You just don't drink bourbon, unmixed at least, if you feel this way. Had my wife swap around these three wheaters for a blind tasting and it took one sip of each to say which was which. And these all come from virtually identical mash bills, but different distilleries.

View attachment 339818

I can do this all day. No different than someone that drinks a lot of beer can tell the difference between a lager, an IPA, and a stout. Now if you give me three glasses with no idea what they are, I probably can't tell you especially if I do not drink it regularly. But I will get you in the ballpark on age, mash bill, and proof.

I'm not special. Everyone that drinks a decent amount of whiskey can do this. We won't always agree, but we all can tell big differences.

I'm pouring Absolut, Ketel Winner Winner Chicken Dinner, and Titonka.

Are you still confident??

Reactions: PooPopsBaldHead

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I'm pouring Absolut, Ketel Winner Winner Chicken Dinner, and Titonka.

Are you still confident??
Lol. Exactly.

I couldn't tell you anything about vodka. Friday I had a High Noon and I think that was the first vodka I have had since my grandmother's wake when I was in 8th grade. All vodka is rubbing alcohol from what I can tell with the old sniffer.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
Yall eave Pops alone on this one. If there's three things he knows, its:
Graphs
Buccees Brisket
Bourbon
Mediate The Muppets GIF by ABC Network

Reactions: She Mate Me

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

View attachment 339818

I know nothing about bourbon, just think a blind taste test would be fun. I did a blind taste test with some buddies, Larceny was picked as the smoothest by just about everyone.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
If you are a bourbon drinker I dare you to criticize Evan Williams Bottled in Bond.
I did a budget bourbon reboot a while back. Evan BIB was always my go to. Unless I want a wheater, in that caseLarceny is the no brainer.

Early Times BIB was my winner. Benchmark Bonded was #2 (I hate nearly every other Benchmark too). Evan Williams BIB fell to #3.

@NTDawg will put Turkey 101 up there too.

But Evan White label is very good.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I know nothing about bourbon, just think a blind taste test would be fun. I did a blind taste test with some buddies, Larceny was picked as the smoothest by just about everyone.
Larceny was my gateway bourbon. That and Weller are very easy to start drinking neat or on a big rock. After a bottle or two the burn disappears and you start getting all the little notes. Larceny gives me a caramel and toffee syrup flavor.

Reactions: BulldogBlitz

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
If you are a bourbon drinker I dare you to criticize Evan Williams Bottled in Bond.
Had my first bottle last night. $16.99 It's going to be my old fashioned bourbon from here on out. Really solid on its own and for that price it's out-17ing-standing.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Since we're in a bourbon piss off and my moderately alcoholic azz has too much experience.

Buy a bottle of any Old Grand-Dad iteration, and...

You're welcome.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
97 proof of goodness. I'm not as big a fan of Larceny. It's good for cheap too though. I've never had the real Pappy. I do love rye whiskey.
Yes, I'm a cheap drinker. Not Green Apple Crown kinda cheap though.

I know I was being a Richard head, and I'm sorry, but seriously, have someone pour a one ounce shot of Bull I E T T , and EW BiB, and Old Grand-Dad BiB and mix them up...

Sniff on 'em
Drink 'em

Tell us what wins

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
Pappy isn't worth the price at any price to me but I'm not big on much of anything from Buffalo Trace. A few of my friends and I did a blind tasting on about 10 bottles of bourbon a couple of years ago. It was very obvious to me which ones came from Buffalo Trace. As for the BIB variant, George Dickel has been the best one I've had. It seems that no matter how many I try, I always go back to Woodford.

Reactions: eckie1

The Cooterpoot

Sep 29, 2022
I know I was being a Richard head, and I'm sorry, but seriously, have someone pour a one ounce shot of Bull I E T T , and EW BiB, and Old Grand-Dad BiB and mix them up...

Sniff on 'em
Drink 'em

Tell us what wins
Not an Ew fan.
I do love me some Wild Turkey. Again, cheap.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun

Jan 9, 2016
I can count on one hand the number of time I've had bourbon in my life. The last being over 30 yrs ago. Just never cared for it. Fast forward to last weekend when a friend brought Blanton's to the lake. Wow!

That has me wanting to get into bourbons some.

ScoobaDawg

Jun 4, 2007
Amateurs.
Pappy 23 is overrated.
20 is good.
But 15 is the best pappy.
But I'll take a benchmark fp most days instead.

WT RB rye is one of my favorite ryes. WT 101 rye is a quality pour people sleep on.

Michter's bourbon is my absolute favorite neat or cocktail mixer.

Woodinville is the best producer you have likely never heard of.

Yes. That's my collection.
Oh and the big wooden thing is my 500 bottle wine cellar that is also full.

Didn't really drink bourbon until 4 years ago. At state it was more craft beers or other liquors.
Hell that bottle of makers on the bottom shelf is a dusty... Bought it in Scooba when I turned 21. Amazing how different a bottle tastes.

20230514_225720.jpg

ScoobaDawg

Jun 4, 2007
I do not see the reasoning behind spending over $30 on a bottle of bourbon. After 2 or 3 shots it's all good. Just like beer. After 2 or 3 beers the natty lite will do if you run out of Ultra. It all tastes like piss but that ain't really why you are drinking it
If you are doing shots of bourbon you don't care about the taste and I would agree with your price point. If drinking neat you are completely wrong.

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
Yes that replaced the Henry McKenna 10 year BIB as my base bourbon after the McKenna won those awards and went through the roof. PLEASE don't put it in any contests. They are both Heaven Hill brands.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Saying it doesn't taste much different than cheap bourbon is saying you don't know **** about bourbon.

That said, most of the people buying it at exorbitant prices are showing off, nothing more.

It's a fine bourbon. Worth $75+ a bottle in any age. The prices being paid are good for the sellers and equivalent to cosmetic surgery for the buyers. Makes you look better than you are (in bourbon terms)

Depends on what you mean by cheap. There are bottles of bourbon I like as much as expensive bourbons starting in the low $30's. There are bottles I like a little bit more up to the $60's but the bang for the buck is pretty small there and after that I'm not sure there is any bang for the buck. Much less so than with Scotch at least. The cheapest scotch I can find that I will drink is in the mid $40's if you find it cheap. Start having options in the $60's, but there are a couple of bottles that I just can't match for less than $100. Certainly lots of $100+ scotch that aren't much if any better than the $60 ones, and the couple I am thinking of may be more my personal taste than really being "better".

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
Since we're in a bourbon piss off and my moderately alcoholic azz has too much experience.

Buy a bottle of any Old Grand-Dad iteration, and...

You're welcome.
114 blows the rest out of the water.

I really wish yall would shut up about EW BIB, you're scaring me that it'll start getting hard to find. Been burned by too many good bourbons the last decade or so.

Reactions: She Mate Me
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login