Path to the Citrus Bowl - Halftime update

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Clemson is up 23-14 on South Carolina
Georgia is up 10-7 on Georgia Tech
Ohio State is up 20-17 on Michigan

All a lot closer than I’d like.

Why do I mention Ohio State vs Michigan? The Rose Bowl.

I think we need either of these teams (preferably Ohio State) to win this game handily enough to knock the other one out of the CFP and into the Rose Bowl (which will take the top non CFP Big Ten team). Otherwise, we could be looking Penn State or the Big Ten West champion getting into the Rose Bowl. I think this could eat up another at-large bid for Bama, LSU, or Tennessee.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Bama and Tenn will get in a NY6 bowl if they win. I think we finished 4th over all in the SEC. But SC has same SEC record. We should get the highest non-NY6 bowl. We might need SC to lose so they finish with 7 wins. Then again I don't really know.

Last edited:

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I think we need SC to lose. We’d both have 4-4 Conference Records and 8-4 overall. They’d have better wins over #5 Tennessee and #8 Clemson (on the road) to end their season.

Reactions: ThreeDawgNight

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
SC hanging in there. Has Clemson looked this pedestrian all year or are they just not bringing it today?

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Georgia score looks more like expected: 30-7

Clemson doing everything they can to give this game to SC: 30-28 Clemson with SC in FG range

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
I think there is a greater than 90 percent chance that the Citrus Bowl will take South Carolina over us. Clemson has to win this game for the Citrus to be in play.

Reactions: Dawgg

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Clemson is up 23-14 on South Carolina
Georgia is up 10-7 on Georgia Tech
Ohio State is up 20-17 on Michigan

All a lot closer than I’d like.

Why do I mention Ohio State vs Michigan? The Rose Bowl.

I think we need either of these teams (preferably Ohio State) to win this game handily enough to knock the other one out of the CFP and into the Rose Bowl (which will take the top non CFP Big Ten team). Otherwise, we could be looking Penn State or the Big Ten West champion getting into the Rose Bowl. I think this could eat up another at-large bid for Bama, LSU, or Tennessee.

I don’t think the Rose can take a non-CFP Big 10 if they are ranked below other teams. Maybe the CFP committee could rig the final rankings to make it so, but that would be pretty shady.

It’s pretty simple to me. Tennessee is guaranteed to be in if they are in the Top 11. They are currently 10th. For them to drop 2 spots - after a win and the other regular season chalk holding - they need 2 conference championship upsets, AND both have to not allow the losing team to fall behind UT in the final CFP rankings. That might happen if Purdue won the B1G in a huge upset, but I think its very unlikely for TCU to stay ahead with a loss.

Of course, all of this discussion is probably moot if USC continues whipping Clemson like they’ve done for most of the day. They are currently up one with the ball with 8 minutes to go.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I don’t think the Rose can take a non-CFP Big 10 if they are ranked below other teams. Maybe the CFP committee could rig the final rankings to make it so, but that would be pretty shady.

It’s pretty simple to me. Tennessee is guaranteed to be in if they are in the Top 11. They are currently 10th. For them to drop 2 spots - after a win and the other regular season chalk holding - they need 2 conference championship upsets, AND both have to not allow the losing team to fall behind UT in the final CFP rankings. That might happen if Purdue won the B1G in a huge upset, but I think its very unlikely for TCU to stay ahead with a loss.

Of course, all of this discussion is probably moot if USC continues whipping Clemson like they’ve done for most of the day. They are currently up one with the ball with 8 minutes to go.
From https://tournamentofroses.com/rose-bowl-game-presented-by-northwestern-mutual-selection-procedures/

Now, however, in the CFP-system, the Tournament of Roses may only select a team from its partner conferences.

Should a team from the Big Ten or Pac-12 be selected to go to the College Football Playoff, the Tournament of Roses will traditionally select the next-highest CFP-ranked team from that conference. There is, however, a caveat to that clause in the contract.

“If the next-highest ranked team is in a ‘cluster’ of teams, meaning there is another team or teams from the same conference ranked within several spots of each other, the Tournament of Roses will select the team from that cluster that will result in the best possible matchup for the Rose Bowl Game,” said Rose Bowl Management Committee Chair Scott Jenkins.

In a cluster situation, the Tournament of Roses will take into account factors, in no particular order, such as: the last time a team played in the Rose Bowl Game, head-to-head results, regular season schedule, overall record, opponents played, past playoff or bowl appearances and performance, and historical matchups.

It should be noted that it is the strong preference of the Tournament of Roses, Pac-12 and Big Ten Conferences, that the highest-ranked available team in each conference be selected as the replacement team.

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Ugh. USC with the interception.

So the Charlie Winfield Bowl versus Notre Dame?

ezsoil

May 26, 2013
As I've had it explained to me .....the CFP selects playoff and the NY6 ...then the Citrus gets their pick of a SEC team without any input from the league office . After that, the SEC office negotiates with the remaining bowls to help place them ....that is why the presale numbers are important as that information is given to the league office to help in negotiations of who goes where ....so please tell all bulldog club members to go fill out their application and give the Athletic Department a good number they can negotiate the best bowl

Reactions: Cantdoitsal

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Clemson's got it back with 4:19 in the 4th at their own 3 down by 1. Need a long drive here BAD.

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
As I've had it explained to me .....the CFP selects playoff and the NY6 ...then the Citrus gets their pick of a SEC team without any input from the league office . After that, the SEC office negotiates with the remaining bowls to help place them ....that is why the presale numbers are important as that information is given to the league office to help in negotiations of who goes where ....so please tell all bulldog club members to go fill out their application and give the Athletic Department a good number they can negotiate the best bowl
I'm thinking our last 2 bowls we had poor attendance but I would hope the bowl people realize how much better we do when we beat tsun.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
You just can't count on Clemson for nothing! Two minutes to go and they fumble the ball and get back to South Carolina trailing 31 to 30.

So explain to me why we get South Carolina next year of all years they've had a team in the past few years. They are really getting better.

We are Miss State

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
You just can't count on Clemson for nothing! Two minutes to go and they fumble the ball and get back to South Carolina trailing 31 to 30.

So explain to me why we get South Carolina next year of all years they've had a team in the past few years. They are really getting better.

We are Miss State
To be the best you have to play the best. The SEC will be tough too to bottom next year.

eckie1

Jun 23, 2007

We are Miss State
I posted something similar earlier this season. Scar has been terrible since the last time we played them. And we played them every 17ing year during the end of the Jackal era when they had Holtz. Then, we hired Croom over Spurrier.

These 17ers have had the most 17’d up luck against us. Even in WBB, when we were ********** them and the refs realized that wasn’t supposed to happen and changed course.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login