Article Paul Finebaum: North Carolina is at the top of SEC’s priority list if it further expands - Sam Gillenwater

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
Still probably 5 years away from ACC teams being able to afford the buyout, but UNC is the prize of that litter.

Reactions: patdog

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I have been to NC many times with my job and know a lot of their fans. MY description of that school fans is a combination of Texas fans and Ole Miss fans.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I have been to NC many times with my job and know a lot of their fans. MY description of that school fans is a combination of Texas fans and Ole Miss fans.
If I lived in NC, I'd be a NC State fan. Much better fanbase. But UNC is the unquestioned prize. FSU is a much bigger prize than a lot of the naysayers are saying they are. Clemson isn't as much of one as most people probably think they are.

Reactions: Dawgg and GloryDawg

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Alabama and Kentucky is my go-to description.

A lot of sidewalk fans who care mostly about basketball.

If I lived in NC, I'd be a NC State fan. Much better fanbase. But UNC is the unquestioned prize. FSU is a much bigger prize than a lot of the naysayers are saying they are. Clemson isn't as much of one as most people probably think they are.

What Clemson has going for them is their academic profile. They’re positioning themselves as a possible B1G school. I can see them and Georgia Tech as travel partners if the ACC falls apart.

It may have used State as a template but State could do a lot worse than to follow what Clemson does re: Starkville.

Clemson the university is also Clemson the town and vice versa.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Now that I live in VA and will be for the remainder of my life barring anything crazy, I'm hoping UVA and VA Tech get added so I have close games to attend every now and again

patdog

May 28, 2007
What Clemson has going for them is their academic profile. They’re positioning themselves as a possible B1G school. I can see them and Georgia Tech as travel partners if the ACC falls apart.

It may have used State as a template but State could do a lot worse than to follow what Clemson does re: Starkville.

Clemson the university is also Clemson the town and vice versa.
Nobody cares about academics. You don't see the Big 10 adding Stanford (even though they want in badly), do you? Clemson will probably make the SEC or Big 10 cut, barely. GA Tech won't even be considered by either.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
Nobody cares about academics. You don't see the Big 10 adding Stanford (even though they want in badly), do you? Clemson will probably make the SEC or Big 10 cut, barely. GA Tech won't even be considered by either.
Academics is a secondary but still vital (as in fulfills a checkmark) consideration.

First consideration is that with GT & Clemson, you’ve got two of the three major schools within a two-two and a half hour radius of Atlanta.

The B1G can take a chance on getting eyeballs in Atlanta. San Francisco college football eyeball numbers are different.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Academics is a secondary but still vital (as in fulfills a checkmark) consideration.

First consideration is that with GT & Clemson, you’ve got two of the three major schools within a two-two and a half hour radius of Atlanta.

The B1G can take a chance on getting eyeballs in Atlanta. San Francisco college football eyeball numbers are different.
Yep, we really don't want them doing this. I think it would be better for us if they got North Carolina, than Clemson/GT (maybe Miami too).

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Nobody cares about academics. You don't see the Big 10 adding Stanford (even though they want in badly), do you? Clemson will probably make the SEC or Big 10 cut, barely. GA Tech won't even be considered by either.0
If anyone did it would be the presidents and they obviously have been moved to the back of the bus.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
If it's all about football, then why is North Carolina the prize?

I know, population, yada yada. But as we move close to exclusive streaming, football eyeballs are what matters.....not passive cable bills in a certain state.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login