Pee Wee football coaching tips

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Since everyone on this board is a virtual Don Shula, does anyone have any good drills for teaching tackling fundamentals to little kids?

Most of the kids hit the dummies fairly well. As you can imagine, they are hitting it too high, which we are constantly working on. But in 1 on 1 tackling drills, the vast majority of them shy away from contact, turn their heads, and try to hug the runner.

90% of the kids simply don't want to hit (which is natural and I fully understand that). I'm not expecting any of them to be Ronnie Lott.

Any advice on getting them to pop pads? IMO its something you're born with. Am I wrong?

Thoughts on this drill?

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
My experience you need a big overweight former high school lineman yelling "We ain't out here to bump titties! HIT HIM!" (true story). Also the kids that don't like to hit, find their way out of football. The kids that do like to hit at that age tend to hang around.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Oklahoma drills fool. That will man their little candy asses up******

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
and another coach to yell at the runner, "you run like your running on a bed of titties and scared you're going to bruise one!" (another true story) That ones from my old high school running backs coach. You need to start these kids early getting them accustomed to getting yelled. Can't wait till one of them goes home and asks mom if bruised titties hurt?

wrapit

Nov 30, 2008
Most are like that even through middle school. Would actually recommend

keeping them in flag football trough 6th grade.
Then put on the pads in 7th grade.
If you must, do drills where they pair up and face each other wile on all fours. Then have them simply bump each others shoulder pads with their own shoulder pads, a few reps with each other and then switch shoulders. My observation with my kid is that they simply are not comfortable using their shoulders. Once comfortable with that, work into tackle drills.

Since everyone on this board is a virtual Don Shula, does anyone have any good drills for teaching tackling fundamentals to little kids?

Most of the kids hit the dummies fairly well. As you can imagine, they are hitting it too high, which we are constantly working on. But in 1 on 1 tackling drills, the vast majority of them shy away from contact, turn their heads, and try to hug the runner.

90% of the kids simply don't want to hit (which is natural and I fully understand that). I'm not expecting any of them to be Ronnie Lott.

Any advice on getting them to pop pads? IMO its something you're born with. Am I wrong?

Thoughts on this drill?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
If you must, do drills where they pair up and face each other wile on all fours. Then have them simply bump each others shoulder pads with their own shoulder pads, a few reps with each other and then switch shoulders. My observation with my kid is that they simply are not comfortable using their shoulders. Once comfortable with that, work into tackle drills.

I'll do that.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
You aren't really going to be able to do it, as a coach, unless you just want to use up all your practice time teaching them. It really needs to be taught at home by parents, or at a camp, then practiced at home, or something similar.

That said, you need to do it at least a few practices. They need to grasp the concept of using their legs and pushing up and through (at least on the lines), i.e. not hitting the target, but THROUGH the target. Just like hitting a golf ball or baseball. The backs can do the same thing, just from a distance.

Then teach them about wrapping up. Even if they don't make the tackle, hold on so someone else will.

Beyond that your time really needs to be spent learn a minimal number of plays (and running them well) offensively and then on defense making sure they learn angles and keep the play in the middle of the field.

Also - this is advice for say 7/8, 9/10, maybe 11/12.

Last edited:

FISHDAWG

Dec 27, 2009
and another coach to yell at the runner, "you run like your running on a bed of titties and scared you're going to bruise one!" (another true story) That ones from my old high school running backs coach. You need to start these kids early getting them accustomed to getting yelled. Can't wait till one of them goes home and asks mom if bruised titties hurt?

lol ... pretty good. One of my favorites from our old HS coach was when he told an OL who was limping but wasn't hurt and was attempting to pull down the line on the play ... "Collins - you look like a three legged man in an *** kicking contest" ..... then changed the play to where the other tackle pulled

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014

Had a coach in 10th grade tell me hitting hard but not wrapping up on the tackle was like only getting the head in on wedding night. Finish the job!

tacodawg

Jan 2, 2020
When one of them breaks their wrist just slap it and call em a *****. Happened to me and I turned out a total dumbass.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
Not exactly related but…

A buddy of mine was helping coach his kids peewee team several years back.
He noticed one of the other teams practicing on another neighboring field. Said they looked extremely well put together with all the drills and things they were doing in practice. Basically had his team and coaches scratching their heads…

Turns out…it was Joe Gibbs’ grandsons team. Joe himself was helping coach..

xxxWalkTheDawg

Oct 21, 2005
It’s easy

If they are afraid to hit, grab ‘‘em by the waistband and shirt collar and pitch them into the dummy’s.

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Nope, you're not wrong.

Aggression can be increased to some degree through coaching and encouragement.

But the best football players are just naturally aggressive and enjoy hitting people.

Like Bob Sanders.

https://youtu.be/CJuGtjRm-XQ

Last edited:

3000lbchicken

May 1, 2006

Thoughts on this drill?

Slow motion tackles on teammates. Mask up to the ball, wrap up, lift and walk em backwards.

Also, assume the other coach and team are ********!

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
Slow motion tackles on teammates. Mask up to the ball, wrap up, lift and walk em backwards.

Also, assume the other coach and team are ********!

Teaching form while tackling can take a while and I like the slow motion or a big tackling dummy for repetition They will want to drop their head and that is a bad habit to start with. I don't know that it will work but I used to tell my DL guys they want to stick their face into the runner where they can see the runner then wrap their arms. If they drop their head they can miss the runner. Worked for me.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login