Per Birmingham News ...

Dec 23, 2017
So Cohen will make $400,000 more at au ... and MSU didn't try to at least match that money. The Bryan and Seal families have that in the checking account. Bye, John.

Reactions: Maroon13

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
We didn’t try to match for Stricklin, either. Reasoning is the same - splurging on AD salary isn’t a good hill to die on if you’re MSU. Plenty of better places to spend our limited funds.

Reactions: MSUDawg25
Dec 23, 2017
John Hartwell was supposedly the au AD choice until it was known he wanted to hire Baylor OC Jeff Grimes as HC. Hartwell might be a good candidate for Miss State? Lots of AD experience.

woozman

Nov 13, 2004
So Cohen will make $400,000 more at au ... and MSU didn't try to at least match that money. The Bryan and Seal families have that in the checking account. Bye, John.
5-yr contract, though, so the total contract’s value is $7.5 million. So he put $3.5 million extra in his pocket when looking at total value…

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
This feels like there's a backstory on this. It wasn't for the money. An MSU grad.....a MSU successful baseball coach.....took the Diamond Dogs to the finals vs UCLA.....and hired the coach that got us our first CWS Championship. I would have never left after being that invested in MSU for a few more dollars. Had it been 2X or 3X the MSU salary like Strick, I would understand it. Has to be something else going on here!!

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
The only thing going on is that it was time to MOVE ON - for him and us.
No need to keep and AD around too long. They can get stale as 17.
You don't want to have them hanging on or around even.

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I think we're in a decent spot across our athletic department where coaches are concerned

I kind of feel like it was time for John Cohen to leave and we give someone else a chance who is a little more aggressive with our marketing and brand.

I really kind of feel like I offered it as a favor. They could do us a solid and take Kiffin over there with Cohen.

Last edited:

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
If people can't realize he was being nudged along, well, they aren't pay attention. When people on campus are talking about how hard he was to deal with or to get things done, and how he divided rather than united, that's what they're saying.
Well, sometimes that attitude towards a leader is because of his problems. But more often its because of the problems he's trying to solve and the people affected by it. No idea which it is here.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login