Per Cole Cubelic

blitz2Win

Sep 2, 2023
We have come full circle. This is what I feared at the beginning of the season. implement a new offense, cluster#(&@, then resort back to a watered down air raid without the coaches to coach it as far as pass blocking, precise receiver routes and playcalling.

Lettuce

Oct 16, 2012
Barbay asked Will what plays and concepts from last years offense he was comfortable with that might be successful and used that to develop his gameplan for SC. So maybe he is smarter than I gave him credit for. Beating your head against a wall starts hurting eventually

Something happened after our abysmal second offensive series to open the game…I’m not sure if Will went and told him to burn his game plan or what but he showed from that point forward something different. He was throwing the ball with as much pop and urgency than any game of his career.

I still am baffled by having Will do a read option at times…..I know he showed us a few scrambles but has he once kept on the read this year? Maybe once last year, near goal line?

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I made the statement that I didn't think it was Barbays offense. It was more Will and Tulu deciding to take over the game. Some folks thought that was stupid but apparently it was pretty close. It didn't look like what we been doing to me. So shout out to Robbie Faulk.
That is because it is stupid, and if that was really what happened then the entire staff would need to be fired immediately. We aren’t paying Kevin Barbay $900,000 to ask a player what plays to run.

All that said, it’s fine, because that ISN’T what happened. Barbay saying “Hey Will, what throws and defensive looks do you feel pretty good about right now?” and using his feedback as partial decision making criteria on play design is not the same thing as “Will and Tulu just decided to take over the game”.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
That is because it is stupid, and if that was really what happened then the entire staff would need to be fired immediately. We aren’t paying Kevin Barbay $900,000 to ask a player what plays to run.

All that said, it’s fine, because that ISN’T what happened. Barbay saying “Hey Will, what throws and defensive looks do you feel pretty good about right now?” and using his feedback as partial decision making criteria on play design is not the same thing as “Will and Tulu just decided to take over the game”.
I guess you are calling Cole Cubelic a liar ?? Bold move Mrs Barbay

Chesusdog

May 2, 2006
I still am baffled by having Will do a read option at times…..I know he showed us a few scrambles but has he once kept on the read this year? Maybe once last year, near goal line?

Anytime Will gets hit with the ball there is a decent probability of the ball coming out.

Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

TrueMaroonGrind

Jan 6, 2017
Y’all are overreacting as usual. Sounds like he thought the offense was installed and working, saw it wasn’t working and asked the QB what concepts he’s most comfortable with while they continue to install the core of Barbay’s offense and find a TE that isn’t garbage. The biggest issue I see is Barbay failing to pivot after Arizona and letting LSU happen.

Seeing Moorhead force his offense on Fitzgerald for 2 years should make y’all realize not every coach is willing to do what Barbay did.

boatsandhoes

Sep 6, 2012
Barbay asked Will what plays and concepts from last years offense he was comfortable with that might be successful and used that to develop his gameplan for SC. So maybe he is smarter than I gave him credit for. Beating your head against a wall starts hurting eventually
I don’t understand really. Tight ends are supposed to be safety blankets, that create matchup problems, whom can also block. I guess that is if you have good ones, which I assume we don’t

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I don’t understand really. Tight ends are supposed to be safety blankets, that create matchup problems, whom can also block. I guess that is if you have good ones, which I assume we don’t
They must be good at blocking and getting open from 10 yards in. They have to be able to get open while running those routes quickly. They are supposed to be a big target that can get open quickly. If you're lucky enough to get one of the good ones, then you have an excellent safety valve and a comfort blanket for the quarterback. They can make a difference if they do that. If they can't, they should sit on the sidelines.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
I'm struggling to recall play action deep shots over the top last year. What's more likely is that USC sucks on defense and they sold out on the run. That's not a knock on Will - he had a very nice game and executed well. Not really seeing Barbay's offense having been bailed and an air raid display....

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
I guess you are calling Cole Cubelic a liar ?? Bold move Mrs Barbay
Quite the opposite actually, I’m calling his entire “scoop” a huge nothing-burger….because the dialogue he reported happened between Barbay and Rogers is what happens in some capacity every damn week between the OC and starting QB at every program. If its after a bad game early in the season of a new regime, its entirely reasonable and logical for the conversation to center around some success from the prior year(s), if that’s what it takes for the guy under center to regain confidence after throwing up a QBR of 7.2.

And for the record, I’m calling you a liar for presenting that very basic and standard practice as Will and Tulu drawing up sandlot plays in the huddle while the millionaire OC is just twiddling his thumbs in the pressbox.

Last edited:

Pookieray

Oct 14, 2012
Something happened after our abysmal second offensive series to open the game…I’m not sure if Will went and told him to burn his game plan or what but he showed from that point forward something different. He was throwing the ball with as much pop and urgency than any game of his career.

Will always misreads what he should do. He certainly did against USC

• Sad
Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
Should have happened sooner. But credit to Barbary for not stubbornly sticking to something that wasn’t working. A lot of coaches would continue to stick to their game plan.
After that piss poor outing with LSU, not sure he was given a choice.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
Worked well with Johnny Football at A&M

Also if the SEC/ESPN let us hold them it'll be a little closer than usual and get a good TV audience to tune in. Worked very well a few years ago. And the time slot works for people to tune in

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
Honestly, my first reaction is that Barbay must read this board.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Should have happened sooner. But credit to Barbary for not stubbornly sticking to something that wasn’t working. A lot of coaches would continue to stick to their game plan.
It not something that should have happened sooner, because it did. It’s also not a one-time conversation. There is constant 2-way feedback between OC and QB throughout the season.

There also seems to be some myth that both Will and the offense have been awful the entire season, which is divorced from reality.

Before LSU, these were Will’s numbers:

33-46 (72% completion)
389 yards
5 TD’s
0 INT’s
8.46 YPA
11.78 YPC
Avg passer rating of 186.2.

All of that way outpaces his career performance before this season. What would have been the reason behind some “come to Jesus” discussion with him and Barbay prior to the LSU debacle?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login