Percy Lewis

LeeDawg

Jun 18, 2019
Heard from a buddy that knows Lewis personally that it may not be as done a deal as we hoped. Thinks we are still a top choice but OM and Florida are making a strong push.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Heard from a buddy that knows Lewis personally that it may not be as done a deal as we hoped. Thinks we are still a top choice but OM and Florida are making a strong push.

He doesn't even list Florida in his final four.

LeeDawg

Jun 18, 2019
just what I heard. maybe he likes the new coach or something. Wouldn't be the first time a school makes a late push on a guy that hasn't prioritized them high.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
just what I heard. maybe he likes the new coach or something. Wouldn't be the first time a school makes a late push on a guy that hasn't prioritized them high.

PJ on 247 literally interviewed him this morning. His order is State-Ole Miss-Oregon-Auburn. No mention of Florida.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
It's not a done deal, but I do think we close this one, no matter who gets involved. At the end of the day, it's usually about football, and we have a great offensive line situation for him. Being close to home helps, but the playing time situation is the number one factor. Charles Cross' soon-to-be millionaire status is kinda good too.
We have a upperclass-laden team next year to sell on top of this, so he has a chance to win. All these things should win out.

Last edited:

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Paul and Steve have him rated at 8 and 9 respectively, which isn't a lock but thats pretty confident. His official visit is this weekend. To me he is one of the most critical needs in this class. Sure, we will probly sign a transfer tackle but still big need. Trevion to my way of thinking is big too. We need to sign a transfer DL/edge or both that can get some middle push imo. We need to create more pressure next season.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Stupid question from a guy who doesn't get into recruiting.

Why is his last tweet, yesterday, four pics of him in an Ole Miss uniform if he's leaning State?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Paul and Steve have him rated at 8 and 9 respectively, which isn't a lock but thats pretty confident. His official visit is this weekend. To me he is one of the most critical needs in this class. Sure, we will probly sign a transfer tackle but still big need. Trevion to my way of thinking is big too. We need to sign a transfer DL/edge or both that can get some middle push imo. We need to create more pressure next season.

I don't think you need to qualify that as "one of". If we aren't going to find a LT in the transfer portal, he is pretty much it for next year for us. I'm not sure he is a great LT option, and I'm sure we would prefer he be at RT or backup, but if we don't find a transfer LT, I don't know that we have an option on campus that wouldn't be catastrophic.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
He took an official visit there. Everytime guys take an official visit you see those pics. Its never a done deal until the paperwork is done but all the recruiting guys say he is in the boat. They say Blanton is too. I heard them say OM stopped contacting him.

natchezdawg

Oct 4, 2009
Every red-blooded American male dreams of growing up to wear the Powder Blue...

You can't say no to something like that...

oxfordrebel22

Oct 31, 2013
It's not a done deal, but I do think we close this one, no matter who gets involved. At the end of the day, it's usually about football, and we have a great offensive line situation for him. Being close to home helps, but the playing time situation is the number one factor. Charles Cross' soon-to-be millionaire status is kinda good too.
We have a upperclass-laden team next year to sell on top of this, so he has a chance to win. All these things should win out.

His family’s background also would tend to lean MSU. His dad is a farmer who has worked with MSU on projects in the past. If all things are equal, you’d have to think he goes to MSU. A lot of times I think MSU mods have inside reads on guys, a lot of times I think Ole Miss guys do. I think I do a decent job sorting through it most years.. and the “confidence” seems more confident with MSU guys. So that’s where my money is, especially with MSU getting the last visit, and having a more favorable depth chart.

The only caveat, and some will take this as a slight, but it’s truly not.. but supposedly Ole Miss has made some headway in selling their balanced OL scheme, versus being in pass pro 75-80% of the time. And Lewis is a mauler, who’s currently more comfortable run blocking (like most raw OL prospects are). I think that’s the only reason Ole Miss is even in it. I expect him to sign with MSU, though.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Im sure run blocking is a consideration. Contrary to popular believe linemen would always prefer to run block as opposed to pass blocking. But if you sell it from the aspect of "if you can pass blocking here as the left guard you will be a high draft pick" it works out. Pass blocking left guards are much more valuable than run blockers.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Im sure run blocking is a consideration. Contrary to popular believe linemen would always prefer to run block as opposed to pass blocking. But if you sell it from the aspect of "if you can pass blocking here as the left guard you will be a high draft pick" it works out. Pass blocking left guards are much more valuable than run blockers.
Yep….and pass blockers is what they need in the NFL.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

Not sure it's a popular belief that lineman like pass blocking. Most old lineman I've known were partial to coming off the ball and busting some *** rather than backpedaling and getting clubbed in the head or run over.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Not sure it's a popular belief that lineman like pass blocking. Most old lineman I've known were partial to coming off the ball and busting some *** rather than backpedaling and getting clubbed in the head or run over.
He said it's more popular to run block.

It's easier to teach and do, so obviously it's more popular. And you can be smaller. Rich Rod was the master of this at West Virginia, smaller OL that exploded up the field. But if you're going to pass, you better do it quickly, or get outside the pocket and throw on the run - which of course Pat White was tailor made to do.

People wonder why our offense works so well, and if it's so automatic, why doesn't everybody do it. Well, it takes different kind of OL, and it takes time to teach it and get it running perfectly. And after a while, you get to where the backups can be plug and play.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008

He actually said "Contrary to popular believe lineman would always prefer to run block as opposed to pass blocking"

I was just disagreeing about popular belief being that lineman prefer to pass block (since he said them preferring to run block was contrary to popular believe)

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

It's easier to teach and do, so obviously it's more popular. And you can be smaller. Rich Rod was the master of this at West Virginia, smaller OL that exploded up the field. But if you're going to pass, you better do it quickly, or get outside the pocket and throw on the run - which of course Pat White was tailor made to do.

People wonder why our offense works so well, and if it's so automatic, why doesn't everybody do it. Well, it takes different kind of OL, and it takes time to teach it and get it running perfectly. And after a while, you get to where the backups can be plug and play.

He said it's popular belief that lineman like pass blocking, which I don't think I've ever heard. Maybe it's getting that way as people learn more about CTE and realize it's less traumatic to come out of a stance and back pedal than to fire off the ball and hit a DL or LB, but it used to be (and I thought still is?) popular belief that OL wanted to run block, not pass block.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
He actually said "Contrary to popular believe lineman would always prefer to run block as opposed to pass blocking"

I was just disagreeing about popular belief being that lineman prefer to pass block (since he said them preferring to run block was contrary to popular believe)
Gotcha, yeah I misread that.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Im saying pass blocking is more difficult and linemen would rather run block 90% of the game than pass block 90%. Therefore good pass blocking linemen are more valuable in college and at the next level. Not sure it was that confusing but anyway, if you can play left tackle for Leach and have a successful year or two you can punch your ticket to the league

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login