Performance based contracts for even DC and OC

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Since we are going to end up with a new staff, I think those hired need performance clauses in them.

Example, Iowa's OC has a clause that states he can not drop below 25 points per game and has to win 7 games. To me that is the future of contracts. Why should the university be on the hook for a staff that's not producing. 99% of the contracts have incentives... make more the better you do, but if they fail, we still got to pay. Time to be done with that.

We needs these in recruiting, points per game, be above 35th in defense, wins, etc.

Not just the head coach... the DC and the OC.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Since we are going to end up with a new staff, I think those hired need performance clauses in them.

Example, Iowa's OC has a clause that states he can not drop below 25 points per game and has to win 7 games. To me that is the future of contracts. Why should the university be on the hook for a staff that's not producing. 99% of the contracts have incentives... make more the better you do, but if they fail, we still got to pay. Time to be done with that.

We needs these in recruiting, points per game, be above 35th in defense, wins, etc.

At State I would only sign a performance based contract if I was guaranteed the resources to get players if I had other options. Now if was at a dead end in my coaching career....sure, why not.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
At State I would only sign a performance based contract if I was guaranteed the resources to get players if I had other options. Now if was at a dead end in my coaching career....sure, why not.
That's part of it. But none the less, we need to be doing it.

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
Iowa is going to be fun to watch. There is zero chance he hits the marks with the QB injury and also zero chance his dad will fire him. Plus they will likely finish 9-3 or better with that horribly weak schedule. What happens then?

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Iowa's OC is Ferentz's son. He had to sign that contract if he wanted to keep his job.

With that being said, boy does he suck.

The kicker is they put up 41 against Western Michigan. Same as us...

• Haha
Reactions: columbiadawg2

HuskyDawg

Apr 29, 2010

Tie it to wins, nothing else. When we're up 21-16 with 2 minutes, I want the OC to be thinking about the win and not his paycheck.

ZombieKissinger

May 29, 2013
Have to be careful with incentive structures so you don’t incentivize the wrong things. If it’s point-based, he may take more chances and turn it over more. If it's tied to wins, he'll feel a good bit is out of his control. Defense may overdo pass defense and let everyone run on them to run the clock more and decrease total number of possessions but still lose. I like performance based stuff but just have to be really careful with structure.

Lowdog

Jan 1, 2019
I would put incentive based contract on head coach only. That way you make sure your assistant coaches are being coaches not a Analyst. Make sure players are being coached.

But I agree the days of coaches doing terrible and the school being on the hook for BIG buyouts should be over. And tell Jimmy Sexton to go to he$$.

Reactions: Ibdancin

dog12

Sep 15, 2016
Have to be careful with incentive structures so you don’t incentivize the wrong things. If it’s point-based, he may take more chances and turn it over more. If it's tied to wins, he'll feel a good bit is out of his control. Defense may overdo pass defense and let everyone run on them to run the clock more and decrease total number of possessions but still lose. I like performance based stuff but just have to be really careful with structure.

Right. Incentives could lead to unintended consequences, especially with any incentives based upon offensive and/or defensive statistics.

We're talking about incentives for coaches, so give every coach only one incentive: number of wins, with escalation clauses as the number of wins increases. Base # of wins = 8 wins (including any bowl win), some # of dollars for each coach. From there, increase the number of dollars for each additional win . . . going all the way to 15 wins and a national championship.

Maybe that would help all coaches to focus more on winning football games and less on accumulating statistics.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login