pessimistic outlook

LazyIslander

Joined Aug 2, 2015
Jan 18, 2022
Over the years, the one thing that has been a constant with Gamecock fans is their unbridled optimism. Regardless of previous season's results and regardless of pundits' prognostications, visions of grandeur have dominated the discussions of the upcoming season... until now.
I simply don't remember a time when there is less excitement or expectations going into a football season. Even the most optimistic fans are hoping for, but not necessarily expecting, at best a winning record with a lower tier bowl bid.
Am I the only one who notices this?

Last edited:

ConwayGamecock

Jan 20, 2022
Probably need to wait at least until fall camp starts up in a couple weeks. This time of the summer is always a very dead period for Gamecock sports.....

THEusccocks

Joined Aug 19, 2001
Jan 29, 2022
I think that is largely due to the schedule being viewed as very difficult. We could have a very good team and go 7-5 or even 6-6 with road games like Bama, Oklahoma and Clemson and home games against potential top 15 teams like Ole Miss, LSU and Mizzo.

that said I’ll part with 2 thoughts 1) it’s often darkest before the dawn; especially with the Gamecocks it seems like we are often cruelly let down until we give up all hope and then games like Florida in 2021 or Tennesse/Clemson in 2022 happen. 2) This is the first season in some time where I look at the team on paper and really don’t see serious weaknesses. Yes, there are a few areas that could be considered “unproven” WR mainly, and i think our prospects are largely tied to a QB who is clearly talented but also unproven to an extent. But there’s depth along the lines IMO and the potential for big improvement on both LOS, at LB and at RB. Nobody knows how it will play out but I see no reason to think there’s not at LEAST the prospect the defense could be much improved, the offense could have a strong running game, and Sellers could end up being who many think he is. If those things happen the upside for this team is far higher than almost anyone is projecting. Can or will all those things happen? Not sure but there have been many years I would have said a best case scenario was 6-7 wins. I’m predicting 7 wins but this team does have the POTENTIAL to be very good. Top 25 IMO.

PrestonyteParrot

May 28, 2024
I think that is largely due to the schedule being viewed as very difficult. We could have a very good team and go 7-5 or even 6-6 with road games like Bama, Oklahoma and Clemson and home games against potential top 15 teams like Ole Miss, LSU and Mizzo.

that said I’ll part with 2 thoughts 1) it’s often darkest before the dawn; especially with the Gamecocks it seems like we are often cruelly let down until we give up all hope and then games like Florida in 2021 or Tennesse/Clemson in 2022 happen. 2) This is the first season in some time where I look at the team on paper and really don’t see serious weaknesses. Yes, there are a few areas that could be considered “unproven” WR mainly, and i think our prospects are largely tied to a QB who is clearly talented but also unproven to an extent. But there’s depth along the lines IMO and the potential for big improvement on both LOS, at LB and at RB. Nobody knows how it will play out but I see no reason to think there’s not at LEAST the prospect the defense could be much improved, the offense could have a strong running game, and Sellers could end up being who many think he is. If those things happen the upside for this team is far higher than almost anyone is projecting. Can or will all those things happen? Not sure but there have been many years I would have said a best case scenario was 6-7 wins. I’m predicting 7 wins but this team does have the POTENTIAL to be very good. Top 25 IMO.
I like the optimism but think some ''magic'' will be required to get there.

Reactions: 80and90gcock

kidrobinski

Jan 30, 2022
Deck’s too stacked. When Missouri is 4th in nil funds in conference lol? Us old timers don’t get pessimistic though, been through too much; each season is a new book, each week a new chapter. It’s entertainment for me; I only get riled when I see guys tanking it, ie David Williams in lsu game the day before Spurrier resigned, muschamp’s last season, Brad Scott his last season; few more I don’t feel like arguing about. Looking forward to the season👍

80and90gcock

Joined Nov 20, 2003 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 31, 2022
I think it is more a case of extremely guarded optimism. After getting burned last year with rampant injuries and having a key player (whatever his name was) quit on us it is easy to have tempered enthusiasm. That being said I think we are in for some pleasant surprises this year that should put us back in the right direction going forward.

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Maybe it's a bit if "here we go again". It's also understandable, we are coming off a losing season.

If I had to put my finger on one thing, it's age. I've seen this before, I've gotten hyped for seasons with QB, OL, RB and WR as question marks. In my youth, all those queation marks were destined for breakout seasons. Now? Like I said, I've just seen this before.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Typically, Gamecock fans expect the worst but always have big hopes/dreams.

As I sit here, I don't expect us to get more than 5 wins this season, but at the same time I am imagining we could get 8 or 9.

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
With a new QB, just hard to say one way or another, or be overly optimistic or pessimistic, no real clue until we see Sellers against real first team SEC caliber defenses.

I'm hopeful about Sellers, but you cant really go off a few plays the previous year, (See Corey Jenkins in 2002) :)

Reactions: LazyIslander

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022
With a new QB, just hard to say one way or another, or be overly optimistic or pessimistic, no real clue until we see Sellers against real first team SEC caliber defenses.

I'm hopeful about Sellers, but you cant really go off a few plays the previous year, (See Corey Jenkins in 2002) :)
Oh brother, I keep hoping no one will bring that up!

Gradstudent

Joined Feb 11, 2006
Feb 2, 2022
Oh brother, I keep hoping no one will bring that up!

I brought it up to remind myself how wrong I can be, I thought given what I saw in 2001 and his age and maturity things would of gone a little differently in 2002.

So living in Florence and watching Sellers in HS, I could be really pumping my enthusiasm for 2024 but I have held back as I remember Jenkins

Last edited:
Reactions: bayrooster

Cackmandu

Feb 2, 2022

Pretty much my thoughts exactly, and I’ll add we have some experienced depth. IF our question spots qb and receivers step up I think we’re going to surprise some people!

Reactions: THEusccocks

01Fatboy

Joined May 23, 2009
Jan 24, 2022
Is the lack of optimism a reflection on a lack of confidence in Beamer?
not in my book, he showed first 2 years that he could find ways to win even when undermanned. last year injuries crippled us, cant imagine any coach having success with all those injuries. tough schedule for sure and we have a rs freshman QB along with new RBS and new receivers. gonna be a challenge but I cant wait for it to start. I expect to be in all games, wont win em all but will be competitive, imho

Reactions: Cackmandu

gamecock stock

Jan 21, 2022
Which starter will be the first to have a high ankle sprain and be out for the entire year? You know its coming!
If the season is screwed up because of a lot of injuries (which we seem to have had as a problem ever since Beamer has been here, with his hire of Day), they both will need to be fired on the spot. Why Beamer did not make a change at the S&C Coordinator job this past season, surprised me.

Reactions: FightinRooster

The Reel Ess

Joined Feb 3, 2005
Jan 31, 2022
I've been a Gamecock fan since I was born some 54 years ago. I've learned to become "optimistically pessimistic." That way there is either confirmation of my pessimism or pleasant surprise.

Reactions: Lurker123

Lurker123

Jan 18, 2022
Ot did dawn on me that were almost done with July. Usually the hype for a new season is pushing some wild prognostications right about now. But they have been strangely absent.

I think everyone is "holding their breath".

Reactions: LazyIslander

b.wun

Joined Jan 23, 2007 • Garnet Trust Supporter
Jan 18, 2022
I feel like we are a better team but the schedule is tough as always. We play 6 top 25 teams and a couple others that easily could be. 6-6 would mean that we have beaten some very good teams. I respect what it takes to accomplish that.
I also think that our staff has improved. I also think that we are recruiting as well as possible considering NIL. That also applies to transfer portal. It isn't like Ole Miss did better evaluations than others, they just had the money to spend.

18IsTheMan

Jan 19, 2022
Every optimistic outlook for our seasons involves believing 2 things: 1. We will be better than expected and 2. Some of our opponents will not be as good as expected.

Only problem is that fans of most every other team out there feel about the same way.

bayrooster

Jan 21, 2022
I feel like we are a better team but the schedule is tough as always. We play 6 top 25 teams and a couple others that easily could be. 6-6 would mean that we have beaten some very good teams. I respect what it takes to accomplish that.
I also think that our staff has improved. I also think that we are recruiting as well as possible considering NIL. That also applies to transfer portal. It isn't like Ole Miss did better evaluations than others, they just had the money to spend.
6-6 would mean we beat both Kentucky and Missouri, who would probably be the best two teams of those 6 wins.

Reactions: Atlanta Cock
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login