Pitching Coach Question

columbiadawg2

Feb 2, 2010
I think we can all agree that all signs show Lemo is back next season. That said, how realistic is it that we will hire an above-average pitching coach? You'd have to be willing to leave a good situation for what is most likely one season then find a new job after the entire staff gets canned in '24. I guess that is unless things drastically turn around from the dumpster fire it has been.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
If Lemonis does return he is on a searing hot seat. You’re got two prospective candidates for pitching coach. You may be able to draw an established experienced coach with an ego big enough that he thinks he can fix this mess and it will lead to a head coaching gig. The second option is a smaller school pitching coach who is climbing up the coaching ladder and win or lose it’s still going to look good on a resume. It’s going to be a tough hire because whom ever we hire will know that it’s highly possible that it’s just a one year gig.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I think we get a guy that was told somewhere else that it was time for him to go look elsewhere, you know, a guy like Foxhall if Lemonis had done last season what he should have done and told him that

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Throw a wad of cash at Muscara at Wake. Try and get Hartle and Sullivan in a package deal. That will set our Friday and Saturday starters.

Selling point is SEC exposure, DNF environment/fan support, Pretty strong top part of batting lineup to produce runs, You bring those 2 and we have a strong chance to win 2 SEC games each weekend and we aren't firing Lemon. This is a slim hail mary attempt, but Lemon has to make it happen if he wants to continue coaching here. If we lose to Valley next season, a packed Uhaul will be waiting for him outside of DNF.

Last edited:
Reactions: WrightGuy821

AstroDog

Oct 5, 2022
I like Jason Jackson from BAMA, then Cory Muscara from Wake Forest. Either of those 2 and I think we're set.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Rob Walton at Oklahoma State is going to be the hire.

Would be an interesting move for him given that he’s in the OK State Hall of Fame as a player and coach. They’re not on the level of many SEC schools but they do invest a lot in baseball. Their new stadium is awesome.

He’s a very highly respected pitching coach though. If we were able to pull someone like that then it would be a strong first step toward improvement for Lemonis.

Reactions: Darryl Steight

Old Fart Dawg

Sep 2, 2012
Bring in Dan McDonnell as associate head coach to take over pitching coach duties. Some of the comments he’s made makes me believe he’d jump at the chance

Jun 9, 2015
I’m in grad school at OK State, and I follow the baseball program closely. I’ve heard Rob Walton’s name thrown around for our job more than once. I’m no baseball guru, but this strikes me as a terrible hire if it comes to fruition. His staff in Stillwater is struggling for the second year in a row.

Reactions: rankindog86

dawgflo

Nov 17, 2021
I don't claim to be a coaching genius, but is it crazy to think that if we hire a good pitching coach and we can lemon, the next guy COULD keep the pitching coach, assuming there is improvement from this year to the next? Also, are there any decent pitching coaches that are "coaches in waiting"? Then we fire lemon and have a candidate (not a sure thing) waiting in the dugout that would be considered? I don't know, I'm just playing out possible scenarios in my brain in hopes that we pull someone worth a damn.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I’m in grad school at OK State, and I follow the baseball program closely. I’ve heard Rob Walton’s name thrown around for our job more than once. I’m no baseball guru, but this strikes me as a terrible hire if it comes to fruition. His staff in Stillwater is struggling for the second year in a row.
I don't know. They're 3rd in the Big 12 in ERA, even though their ERA looks fairly high at 5.13 in conference games (not far behind leader WVU at 5.00). Looks like the whole league is just a hitters league.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I'd like to have a staff that was struggling like this after the two seasons we've had:

1684847257272.png

Reactions: Maroon Eagle

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
I'd like to have a staff that was struggling like this after the two seasons we've had:

View attachment 342850
If failure in pitching means middle of the pack in the conference...

hungry oliver twist GIF

Reactions: patdog

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
I don’t imagine we will have a problem hiring a good pitching coach. We will pay well and it’s an SEC job.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022

I mean they were decent enough to be a Top 8 seed last year and a likely host this year. He’s one of the more respected pitching coaches in the country.

I don’t think anyone is asking to necessarily even be elite on the mound next year. Just don’t be cripplingly terrible. We just have an OK pitching staff next year and we are probably in the hosting discussion.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

patdog

May 28, 2007
I don’t think anyone is asking to necessarily even be elite on the mound next year. Just don’t be cripplingly terrible. We just have an OK pitching staff next year and we are probably in the hosting discussion.
Next year's pitching coach is going to have a lot of work to do. Starting with hitting the transfer portal HARD.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
Speaking of pitching coaches, I looked up how Gary Henderson is doing at Utah. Bad second year with a 22-32-1 record and only one series win (wash st) all season.

Ranchdawg

Dec 13, 2012
I'm glad we are hiring a new pitching coach but I'm confused about how that will improve our fielding.

MSUDC11-2.0

Sep 29, 2022
Speaking of pitching coaches, I looked up how Gary Henderson is doing at Utah. Bad second year with a 22-32-1 record and only one series win (wash st) all season.

His run with ‘18 is kinda the anomaly for his career. He wasn’t great at Kentucky. But he’ll always have my respect for what he did here. I also know his family has been through an awful lot in recent years.

Reactions: FQDawg

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Do any of you think we are gonna hire a top tier pitching coach ? C'mon man. We hired a middle of the pack big ten head coach who is in over his head and now you think a top tier pitching coach is coming here ? To work for Lemonis ?

bully12

Sep 2, 2012
Do any of you think we are gonna hire a top tier pitching coach ? C'mon man. We hired a middle of the pack big ten head coach who is in over his head and now you think a top tier pitching coach is coming here ? To work for Lemonis ?
I suspect that of those 1,000 phone calls that Lem supposedly received RE: the PC job, about 995 of them came from HS/JC coaches.

• Haha
Reactions: Rupert Jenkins

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
Someone do the math of removing the Vandy series and seeing what the era would be. I don’t do math.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Someone do the math of removing the Vandy series and seeing what the era would be. I don’t do math.
SEC ERA would drop from 9.54 to about 8.00. Still last in the league, even without dropping the worst series for the other teams.

WilCoDawg

Sep 6, 2012
SEC ERA would drop from 9.54 to about 8.00. Still last in the league, even without dropping the worst series for the other teams.
That’s shocking the omission wouldn’t yield more of drop than that.

WrightGuy821

Mar 13, 2019
I'm glad we are hiring a new pitching coach but I'm confused about how that will improve our fielding.
The theory is that if fielding can trust pitching more they can play looser and won't make as many dumb errors. I think it goes both ways because the pitchers are trying too hard because they can't trust the fielding to catch every ball that's hit their way

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login