Pitching

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
So the weekend wasn't a sweep like we hoped but pitching didn't kill us like last 2 years

For the series:
Total runs given up - 9
Total walks - 9
Total strikeouts - 38
Total hits - 20

I know there were a couple walks in the 9th on Sat but they shouldn't have mattered. If you hold AF to 3 runs on a Saturday, you should win, especially when you're supposed to be a strong hitting team.

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
It’s phenomenal. It’s hard to come out and throw strikes in 40 degrees. It’s been in the 60’s most days of ‘Spring Camp’. First time on the mound. Big crowds.

I’ll take that. They might get knocked around in SEC play, but don’t walk the yard.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
It's one series. They looked better but I want to see a few weeks with this team to see who is going to step up when it gets harder. Not hard to better than last years pitching staff right now.

macdaddydawg

Sep 29, 2022
3 HBP's all weekend was a great improvement as well. Heck, I think we may have had 3 HBP's in a row last year and for sure in one inning at some point last year.

BreckyBratt

Nov 5, 2022
Pitching looked better overall. Holcombe seemed to still have the Foxhall nibble approach. Hopefully he can get the ball in the zone better in the coming weeks.

Reactions: Msuirondawgs

theoriginalSALTYdog

Jul 10, 2021
So the weekend wasn't a sweep like we hoped but pitching didn't kill us like last 2 years

For the series:
Total runs given up - 9
Total walks - 9
Total strikeouts - 38
Total hits - 20

I know there were a couple walks in the 9th on Sat but they shouldn't have mattered. If you hold AF to 3 runs on a Saturday, you should win, especially when you're supposed to be a strong hitting team.

The pitch to contact method only works if you have good enough stuff for hitters to miss in the zone. We got away with it this weekend but we won't get away with it in the league. Sure, I'm glad we didn't walk a lot of guys and made them earn their way on base but I have a feeling in the league this staff is going to get roughed up. Hope I'm wrong.

Reactions: HuntDawg

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
The pitch to contact method only works if you have good enough stuff for hitters to miss in the zone. We got away with it this weekend but we won't get away with it in the league. Sure, I'm glad we didn't a lot of guys and made them earn their way on base but I have a feeling that in the league this staff is going to get hammered.
Correct.

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
The pitch to contact method only works if you have good enough stuff for hitters to miss in the zone. We got away with it this weekend but we won't get away with it in the league. Sure, I'm glad we didn't walk a lot of guys and made them earn their way on base but I have a feeling in the league this staff is going to get roughed up. Hope I'm wrong.

This is what I'm waiting to see. Not only that if you are going to pitch in the middle of the plate, best have some velo. Jurrangelo sat low 90s. Same with stephens, he was basically throwing 92 mph fastballs right down the middle and struting around. That aint gonna work against the better teams or probably even average ones.

That said my HOPE is that we knew we could be successful throwing fastball and we did. And that we'll see us "pitch" more against some of the better competition.

I know most walked away feeling great about the pitching. But from what I saw, we went from throwing balls, to throwing it right down the middle. We need to find a happy medium to be successful, because again, I didnt see any arms that looked dominant.

Reactions: theoriginalSALTYdog

maroonmania

Feb 23, 2008
Pitch was vastly improved across the board outside of Holcombe. Unfortunately, Holcombe gave away a couple of runs with walks in the one game we didn't get anything from our offense so it bit us for a loss.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008

For the series:
Total runs given up - 9
Total walks - 9
Total strikeouts - 38
Total hits - 20

2 of those 9 walks, a wild pitch and a timely hit cost us the game Saturday

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
It's one series. They looked better but I want to see a few weeks with this team to see who is going to step up when it gets harder. Not hard to better than last years pitching staff right now.
Yep. Just one series. The problem is two losing seasons in a row have led to over analyzing every pitch and every at-bat we had in the first game. It's understandable.

Reactions: Wytalehntr

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Same with stephens, he was basically throwing 92 mph fastballs right down the middle and struting around. That aint gonna work against the better teams or probably even average ones.
Stephens looked to me like he was just using some driveline techniques or some shlt to just throw as hard as possible right down the middle.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Of course it works better against bad teams. But even against good teams it’s better than nibbling. All that does is give good hitters better counts to hit in.

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
Stephens looked to me like he was just using some driveline techniques or some shlt to just throw as hard as possible right down the middle.
Stephen goes 7 innings, 3 hits, 1 earned run, 0 walks, 11 strikeouts and this guys is talking about driveline techniques. At least get his name right since you know so much.

NukeDogg

Mar 15, 2022
I will absolutely take pumping strikes (even hittable ones) over walking the world. Make them put the bat on the ball, you can get defensive outs or strikeouts that way. Missing the zone only leads to one outcome and it's not a good one.

Reactions: patdog

HuntDawg

Oct 25, 2018
Stephen goes 7 innings, 3 hits, 1 earned run, 0 walks, 11 strikeouts and this guys is talking about driveline techniques. At least get his name right since you know so much.
Point he was trying to make... which i agree with. Is he was basically throwing his fastball right down the middle and the AF hitters couldnt hit it.

Question remains as to whether his FB is that good.. or AF is that bad.

hopefully its his FB is that good.. but 92 doesnt wow a lot of SEC hitters anymore.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022
This is what I'm waiting to see. Not only that if you are going to pitch in the middle of the plate, best have some velo. Jurrangelo sat low 90s. Same with stephens, he was basically throwing 92 mph fastballs right down the middle and struting around. That aint gonna work against the better teams or probably even average ones.

That said my HOPE is that we knew we could be successful throwing fastball and we did. And that we'll see us "pitch" more against some of the better competition.

I know most walked away feeling great about the pitching. But from what I saw, we went from throwing balls, to throwing it right down the middle. We need to find a happy medium to be successful, because again, I didnt see any arms that looked dominant.
Regarding the fastballs, we've had guys throw in the low 90s with success before too. Really depends if its a "live" fastball with maybe with some late movement to keep batters off balance. I'm not saying these guys are Ethan Small, but going purely off velocity doesn't always tell the whole story.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login