Players skipping bowls

NWADawg

May 4, 2016
In the past, I've somewhat thought less of guys that skipped bowl games to avoid injury. It was about the team and sticking with the folks that have stood beside you or mentored you to help you get you to that draft status.

Now that college football has quit pretending to be anything other than a business, I'm not sure why any draftable players would even consider playing in a bowl game. Maybe if they think they can up their draft stock. There is no allegiance from coaches or players anymore.
College football is lesser for it.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
In the past, I've somewhat thought less of guys that skipped bowl games to avoid injury. It was about the team and sticking with the folks that have stood beside you or mentored you to help you get you to that draft status.

Now that college football has quit pretending to be anything other than a business, I'm not sure why any draftable players would even consider playing in a bowl game. Maybe if they think they can up their draft stock. There is no allegiance from coaches or players anymore.
Agreed. Why play in a bowl at all? INCLUDING the CFP. Perhaps their NIL contracts require them to play in bowl or a penalty. If not, they should.

HotMop

May 8, 2006

Good to see that none of our players are opting out this year.

#Family

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Some of the best bowl games are those played between two G5 teams. It does mean something to them. Those games are hard hitting games.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
I guarantee you I wouldn’t play in a bowl game if I was entering the draft and played for FSU.

Reactions: dorndawg

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I guarantee you I wouldn’t play in a bowl game if I was entering the draft and played for FSU.
I wonder how much, if at all, it factors into NFL teams draft prep. Obviously they look at film, and physical measurables from the combine or whatever, plus the Wonderlic and personal interviews but I wonder how "loyalty/good teammate" fits in? Or alternatively, do they give a demerit "this moron played in a meaningless bowl game"?

• Haha
Reactions: patdog

Bulldog Bruce

Nov 1, 2007
I don't understand why NIL's wouldn't include bowl participation. If you are going to get paid, earn it the entire season and for some teams that includes the bowl season.
NIL contracts are not supposed to have any performance or attendance conditions in them. Don't see how they could do that without a lawsuit happening.

No deal or payment can be tied to an athlete's athletic performance or achievement. Deals can't be recruiting inducements, meaning deals can't be offered in return for a commitment to attend a specific school. Schools can't enter into NIL deals with their own athletes.Mar 2, 2023

US News and World Report Link

Last edited:

Ozarkdawg

Apr 1, 2017
NIL contracts are not supposed to have any performance or attendance conditions in them. Don't see how they could do that without a lawsuit happening.

No deal or payment can be tied to an athlete's athletic performance or achievement. Deals can't be recruiting inducements, meaning deals can't be offered in return for a commitment to attend a specific school. Schools can't enter into NIL deals with their own athletes.Mar 2, 2023

US News and World Report Link
NCAA is doing a whole lot of "winking" with that line. Bet they couldn't type it with a straight face. No sarcatics intended.

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
After what happened to Florida State, I wouldn’t be shocked to see players deciding not play if a key player like a QB gets hurt.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
I wonder how much, if at all, it factors into NFL teams draft prep. Obviously they look at film, and physical measurables from the combine or whatever, plus the Wonderlic and personal interviews but I wonder how "loyalty/good teammate" fits in? Or alternatively, do they give a demerit "this moron played in a meaningless bowl game"?

I think there should be enough data points prior to the bowl game decision to assess the “good teammate” factor. When it comes to loyalty, I don’t think that’s much of a thing in the NFL. They are all hired assassins.

Reactions: dorndawg
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login