Please please happen - permanent DST approved in Senate

Center Z

Sep 4, 2006
https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-senate-approves-bill-that-would-make-daylight-savings-time-permanent-2023-2022-03-15/

U.S. Senate approves bill to make daylight saving time permanent

By David Shepardson

WASHINGTON, March 15 (Reuters) - The U.S. Senate on Tuesday passed legislation that would make daylight saving time permanent starting in 2023, ending the twice-annual changing of clocks in a move promoted by supporters advocating brighter afternoons and more economic activity. The Senate approved the measure, called the Sunshine Protection Act, unanimously by voice vote. The House of Representatives, which has held a committee hearing on the matter, still must pass the bill before it can go to President Joe Biden to sign. The White House has not said whether Biden supports it.

On Sunday, most of the United States resumed daylight saving time, moving ahead one hour. The United States will resume standard time in November. Senator Marco Rubio, one of the bill's sponsors, said after input from airlines and broadcasters that supporters agreed that the change would not take place until November 2023. The change would help enable children to play outdoors later and reduce seasonal depression, according to supporters.

"I know this is not the most important issue confronting America but it is one of those issues that there is a lot of agreement. ... If we can get this passed, we don't have to do this stupidity anymore," Rubio added. "Pardon the pun, but this is an idea whose time has come."
About 30 states since 2015 have introduced legislation to end the twice-yearly changing of clocks, with some states proposing to do it only if neighboring states do the same.

The House Energy and Commerce committee held a hearing on the issue this month. Representative Frank Pallone, the committee's chairman, said that "the loss of that one hour of sleep seems to impact us for days afterwards. It also can cause havoc on the sleeping patterns of our kids and our pets." Pallone backs ending the clock switching but has not decided whether to support daylight or standard time as the permanent choice. Pallone cited a 2019 poll that found that 71% of Americans prefer to no longer switch their clocks twice a year.

Supporters say the change could prevent a slight uptick in car crashes that typically occurs around the time changes and point to studies showing a small increase in the rate of heart attacks and strokes soon after the time change. "It has real repercussions on our economy and our daily lives," said Senator Ed Markey, another leading sponsor.

Supporters argue it could help businesses such as golf courses that could draw more use with more evening daylight. The use of daylight saving time has been in place in nearly all of the United States since the 1960s after being first tried in 1918. Year-round daylight savings time was adopted in 1973 in a bid to reduce energy use because of an oil embargo and repealed a year later.

The bill would allow Arizona and Hawaii, which do not observe daylight saving time, to remain on standard time.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
Please God. Please give us this one request, since, apparently, world peace is currently off the table.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
DON'T 17 THIS UP, HOUSE.

Lord knows how many morons sit in that chamber. They'll figure out a way to screw this up.

cowbell88

Jan 11, 2009
God created the standard time, why do we have to choose the politicians created time?

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
God created the standard time, why do we have to choose the politicians created time?

Say WHAT?? God operates outside of time, and I don't really think God cares how we set our clocks to organize our schedules. Unless I'm missing something.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Say WHAT?? God operates outside of time, and I don't really think God cares how we set our clocks to organize our schedules. Unless I'm missing something.

What I think you are missing is sarcasm

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Private prison lobbyists will kill it….less darkness to be available for crime committing.

PooPopsBaldHead

Dec 15, 2017
I guess I am for it... Just looked it up and sunrise on Christmas day would be at 9:21 am for my house. Santa is getting mimosas and brunch instead of milk and cookies at my house. Figure I will get the kids some NVGs and a good rifle for that pitch black walk to school as well for late denning bears and coyotes.

Mobile Bay

Jul 26, 2020
I have heard it's the convivence store lobby opposing it. apparently Monday after time change is their biggest day of the year.

turkish

Aug 22, 2012
I’m troubled by the notion that our politicians have the time to worry about such things. Troubled, but not surprised.

And to the smarta$$ that wants to know, yes, I’m tons of fun at parties. Ask your wife.

ababyatemydingo

Nov 27, 2008
I’m am so happy they’ve made it this far.

It was actually enacted in 1974 by Nixon, by executive order, in response to the 1973 oil crisis. Only lasted less than a year, before he was pressured to change it back, because parents and school admin complained that it was dangerous for school buses to run at night and have kids crossing the street to get on the bus in the dark. It would be dark until about 8 am basically from the first of November until March. Some kids were actually hit and killed while crossing the street to get on the bus in the dark.

Forrest4Moore

Nov 14, 2011
I guess I am for it... Just looked it up and sunrise on Christmas day would be at 9:21 am for my house. Santa is getting mimosas and brunch instead of milk and cookies at my house. Figure I will get the kids some NVGs and a good rifle for that pitch black walk to school as well for late denning bears and coyotes.

Where do you live? Edmonton? Bangor?**

Good to have Bulldogs all over, though.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
It was actually enacted in 1974 by Nixon, by executive order, in response to the 1973 oil crisis. Only lasted less than a year, before he was pressured to change it back, because parents and school admin complained that it was dangerous for school buses to run at night and have kids crossing the street to get on the bus in the dark. It would be dark until about 8 am basically from the first of November until March. Some kids were actually hit and killed while crossing the street to get on the bus in the dark.

That’s the way it is now depending on where you live. In MS it’s normally always getting light by at least 6:30-7 but plenty of places are dark till 7:30. Go to Ohio or eastern KY (any northern state on the western side of their time zone) and you’ll meet school buses out picking up kids in pitch black at 7am. Some districts have start times 8:30-9 so they don’t start when it’s still dark. Going to DST just does that for the rest of us who normally haven’t experienced it.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Easy compromise. Move the clock back 30 minutes and meet in the middle.

Beretta.sixpack

Oct 29, 2009
Awesome. Gonna be hard on the kiddos going to school though....8am sunrise?

8am sunrise in the winter? woof...but its certainly better

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Easy compromise. Move the clock back 30 minutes and meet in the middle.

I like it. Being half an hour off from the standard time system and refusing to do the metric system. A nice 17 you, rest of the world.

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
Why couldn’t just the schools in those areas adjust their start times? Leave the rest of us alone.

Better yet, why not just move school times to more closely align with most of the countries 9 to 5? Would probably save a lot of people daycare expenses.

I’m beyond worried about that. I just want a little daylight when I get home in the winter and to not have to be on a deer stand until 7:00 sounds freaking sweet.

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
If it happens it won't last. When kids waiting on busses and walking to school in the dark (in freezing weather) start getting run over it will go back to the way we do it now. I'm old enough to remember the winter we did it under Jimmy Carter. It was still dark when I got to school, and I lived CLOSE. I hope it doesn't happen. It SUCKED.

Shmuley

Mar 6, 2008
^^^ This. Hey, Europe, have a gallon of 17 you to you and your liters.

Last edited:

MStateU

Nov 15, 2009
Oh my word this would be beautiful. Even better do it an odd time like 37 minutes. Let’s see….it’s 8:00 their time so……they are 4 hours and 37 minutes behind……so…….that would beeeee?.?.? Uhhhhhh.

Perfect

MaxwellSmart

May 28, 2007
Prior to this year I would have screamed Nooooo. But now that I am retiring and will no longer have to try and sleep with the sun out and the neighbors kids yelling like banshees outside my window, I say go for it. I'm with DCD. The hunting hours will get better.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
I always love daylight saving and hoped they would make it permanent. I do think we need another time zone. The Alabama, Ga line is a long ways from the point in Texas where Central changes to Mountain. One more time zone could end the split time zones for some of the states.

dorndawg

Sep 10, 2012
I always love daylight saving and hoped they would make it permanent. I do think we need another time zone. The Alabama, Ga line is a long ways from the point in Texas where Central changes to Mountain. One more time zone could end the split time zones for some of the states.

As a bit of an early bird, every time I'm out west it's remarkable how much I enjoy Pacific time. Never been to Hawaii but bet it's even better.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login