Polk resigns. Here it is.

Afro Dawg

Jan 23, 2007
POLK ANNOUNCES RESIGNATION AS STATE BASEBALL COACH

STARKVILLE, Miss. - Mississippi State's Ron Polk, the winningest baseball coach in Southeastern Conference history, announced he will resign effective at the end of the current season, MSU Director of Athletics Larry Templeton confirmed.

"It goes without saying that we are most appreciative of the outstanding job Ron Polk has done for Mississippi State baseball," Templeton said. "His decision does not come as a surprise because we had a conversation about this timeline even before this season started.

"With Ron making his decision public at this time, it will allow our institution to properly put together a process for the selection of our next head baseball coach," Templeton added.

Polk is in his 29th season as head of the M-State baseball program, his 35th as a collegiate head coach and his 40th in all levels of coaching college baseball. He has won 1,360 games as a college head coach, ranking among the nation's top 10 all-time winningest coaches, the fifth-most wins among active NCAA Division I baseball coaches. He became the winningest baseball coach in SEC history in 1997.

A native of Boston, Mass., Polk has guided 23 of his previous 34 teams to NCAA regional play, including the last five straight. He has taken eight of those clubs to the College World Series, including six while at State.

Polk was twice honored as the National Coach of the Year (1973 and 1985). He has been elected to the American Baseball Coaches Hall of Fame (1985), both the state of Mississippi and the Mississippi State University Sports Hall of Fame (1988), and the Georgia Southern University Hall of Fame (1990). He was honored by his peers as the recipient of the ABCA's Lefty Gomez Award.

beachbumdawg

Nov 28, 2006
Afro Dawg said:
POLK ANNOUNCES RESIGNATION AS STATE BASEBALL COACH

STARKVILLE, Miss. - Mississippi State's Ron Polk, the winningest baseball coach in Southeastern Conference history, announced he will resign effective at the end of the current season, MSU Director of Athletics Larry Templeton confirmed.

"It goes without saying that we are most appreciative of the outstanding job Ron Polk has done for Mississippi State baseball," Templeton said. "His decision does not come as a surprise because we had a conversation about this timeline even before this season started.

<font color="#3300FF">"With Ron making his decision public at this time, it will allow our institution to properly put together a process for the selection of our next head baseball coach," Templeton added.
</font>

Polk is in his 29th season as head of the M-State baseball program, his 35th as a collegiate head coach and his 40th in all levels of coaching college baseball. He has won 1,360 games as a college head coach, ranking among the nation's top 10 all-time winningest coaches, the fifth-most wins among active NCAA Division I baseball coaches. He became the winningest baseball coach in SEC history in 1997.

A native of Boston, Mass., Polk has guided 23 of his previous 34 teams to NCAA regional play, including the last five straight. He has taken eight of those clubs to the College World Series, including six while at State.

Polk was twice honored as the National Coach of the Year (1973 and 1985). He has been elected to the American Baseball Coaches Hall of Fame (1985), both the state of Mississippi and the Mississippi State University Sports Hall of Fame (1988), and the Georgia Southern University Hall of Fame (1990). He was honored by his peers as the recipient of the ABCA's Lefty Gomez Award.

</p>I hope to hell that Templeton is not involved with the new hire...

FlabLoser

Aug 20, 2006
His time has come. OK, his time came (insert number) years ago. But when you're that experienced, the end of the tunnel is sometimes obvious to everyone but yourself.

Let's show the man some respect. He's the best coach MSU has ever had in any sport. The baseball program you all know and love was put in place by Ron Polk. So tip your hat or pat the man on the back. He deserves it.

I hope like hell the baseball team does something significant this year. Polk deserves to be carried off the field on top of player shoulders to the cheers of 15,000 people at Polk-Dement Stadium.

patdog

May 28, 2007
I would agree. Pat him on the back and thank him. But he deserves full blame for the ****-tastic 7 years of the Polk II era.

FQDawg

May 1, 2006
From his interview yesterday with Nappi.

Yesterday afternoon Nappi says:

We're close. We're close to putting this thing together and really stacking up some pretty good wins. We're going to be a great team. It's just a matter of time.

Today, Polk resigns.

Coincidence. I think not!

The Big Slick

Aug 29, 2006
Some queef named "tnmsu" said "I was afraid this was going to happen. He will be missed". Jesus Christ, what an *******.

patdog

May 28, 2007
But now that you mention it, other than 9 days in June, last year wasn't all that great either.

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
<font color="#3300FF">"With Ron making his decision public at this time, it will allow <span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51);">ME</span> to properly put together a process for the selection of our next head baseball coach," Templeton added.</font>

patinodog

Mar 1, 2008
until the season was over? I think he should have waited because he is quitting on "his boys". No way they rally, not that this season was going anywhere, but we know what happened when JWS quit,er...retired. Suck it up and coach your *** off the rest of the season like you care. just to much pressure in Starkvegas.

Jan 13, 2008
I doubt the team just mails it in. This will give us time to make a good hire. If Raffo is hired, I'll do a head-first dive off the stack on I-55 in Jackson. It would be worse than where we are now.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login