Polk's Replacement?

fathead1432

Mar 3, 2008
</p>At some point the man has got to leave, either by his own free will, Greg Byrnes, or Death.

fathead1432

Mar 3, 2008
</p>At some point the man has got to leave, either by his own free will, Greg Byrnes, or Death.

Jun 4, 2007
it's pretty obvious that the knowlegable majority want cohen, but polk, whenever HE decides to step down, is going to want to give it over to raffo.

Dog in the Know

Nov 1, 2007
Like it or lump it the people I have contact with say that Polk has made effort to keep Tommy here. He's tried to leave a few times but Polk has "supposedly" told him he is the heir apparent. This info comes from within the Athletic Dept. I will say that anything can happen. Who knows for sure. I like Corbin at Vandy but there are a lot of good candidates.

BriantheDawg

May 24, 2006
I don't give a **** who he wants to be his successor. He's not the AD. He will not have the final say-so.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
If LT were still your AD, I could guarantee that Raffo would take over for Polk. With LT gone though, there is a chance that your AD will think outside the box and tell Polk that he's going to hire from the outside.

Cohen would be a great hire.

GOPdog

Jun 24, 2007
Byrne was a member of the committee that brought Cohen into coach at UK, so if Polk does happen to step down under the Byrne administration, the odds on favorite has to be Cohen

Dog in the Know

Nov 1, 2007
......that Legendary College Baseball Coach Ron Polk will have no influence on his successor? If you are, you are fooling yourself.

cutbaitdawg

Feb 24, 2008
...that no HC will be named/hired without the AD approval. thats all Im saying. AD has final say so.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
I think Oregon State's coach, Pat Casey I believe, is from Oregon, and I would be very surprised if he left there. I'm sure they treat him like a god.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
That's right. Part of the reason Polk was able to "name his successor" the first time was because 1. Our program was in good shape, no reason to break up the continuity. 2. LT didn't have the balls to go against Polk anyway, and 3. LT didn't want to do a coaching search anyway, so why not let Polk do it.

Just remember, wasn't Morris Watts or someone like that promised to be our HC after JWS?

I have a feeling that if the "unthinkable" happens, this will be a very, very messy divorce. If we choose to get rid of Polk, he's going to try to blackmail MSU by saying "I'll retire, but you have to hire Raffo, but if you hire Cohen or whoever, then you have to come out and say that you fired me and suffer the wrath of the sheep." The good news is that I think Byrne has the balls to do it, and the personality to smooth over things with people. But the really sad thing is that we will be burning the bridge with the most successful coach in MSU history because we just had to bring him back. Our fanbase is going to be split pretty bad, and whoever the new coach is, they are going to have to try to smooth a lot of things over. This is as bad as I've ever seen MSU baseball, no matter what happens the rest of the year. I will say if Polk really wants Raffo to be the coach, now is the time to do it when we're switching AD's and school President's, but I think he's too stubborn.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
but wasn't there someone who was supposed to be Jackie's heir? Maybe Sparky? Ron Cooper? Anyway, my point is if you suck, that means you don't get to pick who replaces you.

Dog in the Know

Nov 1, 2007
Take that for what it's worth but he was a great player for us and probably goes unnoticed due to some other big time players during those years. There are negatives with everyone. I also think the fanbase will suffer with whoever is hired unless they take us to our expected heights quickly.

I recently spoke with a player that is redshirting. He grew up a FL Gator and that's where he wanted to play until he came to the Baseball camp at Dudy Noble. From that moment he knew he wanted to play for Ron Polk. He was highly recruited with letters/offers from other SEC schools. He said that after he committed to MSU he rec'd attention from Ole Miss but never responded. Others letters/offers followed but he stayed committed to Polk.

Polk is still widely respected.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
that sometimes Raffo gets cast in a bad light because of Polk's coaching. I've said it many times- we don't do anything to help our offense out by making things happen on the basepaths.

I do think that Raffo probably would do said things and probably would be a lot more aggressive than Polk.

Now that said, Raffo blew any chance with me when he was the recruiting coordinator. The man can't do it- he's not aggressive enough.

Raffo is probably not a bad choice, as long as someone else does recruiting, but Cohen is the best choice.

tat2ed

Nov 1, 2007
I would like to see us go outside the program for once. I like Raffo and I'd be ok with his hire. I believe Choen would be an excellent hire. I just don't want us to get Ron Polk syndrome like Bama has Bear Bryant syndrome.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
Too late. We have it just on a much smaller scale. It's the vocal minority without a brain.

jlat13

Nov 1, 2007
If he is really that good with all these schools wanting him I'm glad, but with the way our team is playing could we really afford to redshirt someone that is that good. Let the kid play, can't be any worse

statefanjosh

Jan 25, 2008
I think we should go after Steve Smith at Baylor. He has publicly said he would consider the job if offered and he has built Baylor into a power in the Big 12.

patdog

May 28, 2007
Todd4State said:
but wasn't there someone who was supposed to be Jackie's heir? Maybe Sparky? Ron Cooper? Anyway, my point is if you suck, that means you don't get to pick who replaces you.

I'm pretty sure that nobody was ever designated as Jackie's heir-apparent, either ofiicially or informally. </p>

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login