Poll question: Trajectory of football program

Do you feel better or worse about the future of the football program than you did 12 months ago?

• Better

Votes: 80 71.4%
  • Worse

Votes: 32 28.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
Just curious about how this will turn out.
Do you feel better or worse about the future of the football program than you did 12 months ago?

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
While I voted worse, I am optimistic that we are doing well.

I do like the overall recruiting strategy, especially for the defense and OL but Leach attracted offensive talent, specifically (QB) and WR position better than we traditionally have gotten.

I feel good about the defense, maybe even a little better than before as I feel thus staff will gets its share of talent and coach em up.

My questions are with the offense. I do like the direction it’s headed but I am concerned.

Bottom line is I believed in Leach as he had proven track record but I do like this staff and have hope.

mo7888

Oct 18, 2017
I've gotta vote worse... ZA is just to unproven and inexperienced at this point... voting worse isn't a knock on him it's just a statement that there's not enough information to vote any other way yet.

Rupert Jenkins

Nov 29, 2017
Be optimistic. I was concerned about everybody leaving and him making changes, but I'm feeling more optimistic. I think they are gonna recruit better and honestly this offense will fit us better too in the long run. Definitely no track record here tho

PapaDawg

Nov 19, 2014
While I am excited about the unknown potential of the new program leaders, you knew what you were getting with CML and that was a 7-9 win season with the occasional 10 wins. The predictability of CML’s program was the reason for most of the complaining about him. His system and results were so predictable. Everybody knew what was going to happen before it happened most of the time.

Puppers

Oct 1, 2022
I voted better not because of Arnett but because of how last season played out. The egg bowl and liberty bowl in 21 had me down on MSU football this time last year.

I feel like CML was really building something here and Arnett has made some great hires and did a good job recruiting so hopefully our momentum will continue. We've got the pieces to be good on offense and if the last three years have taught me anything it's that Arnett can flat out coach a defense.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012
I'm pretty much the same. In order to beat Bama, the offense desperately needed some serious tweaking; and I think Mike was on the way to making those changes. Hopefully, with the changes that CZA is making, we can better compete with them. I think our O/U for the 2023 season is 6.5 either way.

Last edited:

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
I voted better not because of Arnett but because of how last season played out. The egg bowl and liberty bowl in 21 had me down on MSU football this time last year.

I feel like CML was really building something here and Arnett has made some great hires and did a good job recruiting so hopefully our momentum will continue. We've got the pieces to be good on offense and if the last three years have taught me anything it's that Arnett can flat out coach a defense.
This. We gotta guy who was a HC in waiting under terrible circumstances but it is what it is. He's 1-0 against what was the no. 1 D in the land. He held on to our croots and hired an excellent staff with good MS crootin' history and SEC coaching experience. A huge up grade in AD has to be thrown into the equation as well.

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
My feelings on it are complicated. It seems absolutely nuts to think you’re better off with a first-year head coach than a veteran with Leach’s track record. But… I think I feel better than I did prior to last season.
I definitely felt much better after the regular season than before it started. And I’m not sure what’s happened since then makes me feel appreciably worse.
I like the staff hires. I feel awesome that Arnett won the bowl game and held the class together, even adding some good pieces through the portal and second signing day. It seems like we’re actually spending some money that we saved at head coach to beef up the staff.
Maybe it’s as simple as winning the egg bowl and bowl game leads to much better vibes in the offseason, but I just feel good where this time last year I felt a lot of unrest.

(There’s still a TON of uncertainty. The SEC is not getting any easier and won’t be when OU and Texas join. We’ll be counted lucky to finish in the top 12 of the conference in recruiting, compared to right now when 10th feels like a pretty decent class. But I feel like we’ll be OK, like we have been for more than a decade.)

Maroon Eagle

May 24, 2006
In the *******. I said back in 2008. We would focus on bass fishing and javelin.
LOL. I laughed.

But on a serious note— Change is disruptive. And when change occurs in a time when there’s been success, it’s easy for me to think that things will be worse.

After all, we remember when Merlinz took his magic to Gainesville and many of us thought that we would have great seasons.

And we didn’t.

The Usual Suspect

Sep 1, 2011
Worried about offense going forward. Mullen was getting his type of running qb, JoMo could get his qb’s (although he could not manage team), and Leach was always going to bring in skill position guys. Now, I’m not sure if we can pull guys like that at skill positions. I think D will be fine.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login