Poor, poor Valley

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
before a 16 seed beats a 1 seed. It'll happen one day.

However, the team that does it will not be from the SWAC.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
was respectable for a while last year. Valley is just happy to be there. You're probably right, it won't be a SWAC school.

benatmsu

May 28, 2007
Arkansas was a 2 seed and played Tx. Southern... guy from my highschool played for TSU and had a chance to put them up by 1 or 2 (can't remember exactly) with seconds to play, but tanked 2 free throws at the line... very reminiscent of his High school days in a playoff game vs. Clinton.... Damn you Randy Bolden... but I think Ark. went on to lose the championship game that year... so that was probably as close as a SWAC team will come to beating a 1 seed.

MSUCostanza

Jan 10, 2007
Valley nearly beating Duke in '86.

The last 10 years or so, though, the quality of play in the SWAC has basically dropped to Division II level.

SanfordRJones

Nov 17, 2006
That's pretty good. The only problem is that they still haven't gotten to 30. Their point total has to be close to a record since the shot clock.

Todd4State

Mar 3, 2008
MSUCostanza said:
Valley nearly beating Duke in '86.

The last 10 years or so, though, the quality of play in the SWAC has basically dropped to Division II level.

</p>the HBCU are somewhere between D-II and D-I-AA in football as well. They're horrible in all sports. Very sloppy.

RebelBruiser

Aug 21, 2007
For a 16 to beat a 1, you'll probably have to see a 1 seed have an injury to one of its top players in the conference tourney. And then the 16 seed would have to have a career shooting day while the 1 seed has one of those nights where there is a lid on the basket.

It'll happen one day. All the laws of probability say it will happen some day, but it would still take an aligning of the planets.

patdog

May 28, 2007
He told me about them playing Arkansas close in the tournament, but he left out the part about him missing the late free throws. Real nice guy. And yes, to answer another poster in the thread, he is the same Randy Bolden who now coaches at Meridian. He was just about to move over there when I played him. Just for the record, I won the tennis match.

615dawg

Jun 4, 2007
not only will he 1 seed have to have a horribke day, the 16 seed will have to be mis-seeded. Say a team like Belmont was a 16 instead of a 15, they could give someone a game.

The problem is that there are usually at leadt 5 or 6 teams in the tourney that couldn't beat 14 seeds.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login