Pork tenderloin

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Put a pork tenderloin on the grill tonight… cooked it about 300 until 145 internal temp. Sliced it up and made some sliders on Hawaiian rolls… great meal.

Probably not a popular take… but a tenderloin may be my favorite cut on pork.

Hugh's Burner Phone

Aug 3, 2017
It'll never be confused with a good ear.*** I do like a grilled tenderloin, but if push comes to shove give me a nice rack of baby backs or a Boston butt.

Reactions: Dawgg and HRMSU

ETK99

Jul 30, 2019
For the price, it's great. I grilled one this past week and shredded part of it and put it in red beans and rice. It was damn good!

57stratdawg

Mar 24, 2010
I like mine tangy. They’re a little bland, so they can use some pop.

They’re really good sous vide in a mustard sauce. Something like dijon, garlic, shallots, parsley (or rosemary), olive oil, salt, pepper, etc. Finish it in a skillet and you can probably make a pan sauce with the bag leftovers.

Reactions: patdog and ronpolk

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
It’s really not my favorite piece of pork, it’s too lean. I’ll cook one occasionally but I’d rather have butts or ribs. I did something different a few days ago, I smoked pork steaks to 203. I normally grill them to 145 and love them but they are tough. At 203 I could cut them with a fork. Next time I will brine them first

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
View attachment 523679View attachment 523679
This is not a tenderloin, but a pork loin. Cut that puppy into 1.5 inch steaks, cook on the grill at a high temp, 4.5 min each side, then let it rest.
It's great. Very inexpensive.
Cut thin, run through a tenderizer, season your flour with salt, pepper, Tony’s, and garlic powder, dip in milk, then flour and then deep fry. You can feed a damn army with just one loin.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Put a pork tenderloin on the grill tonight… cooked it about 300 until 145 internal temp. Sliced it up and made some sliders on Hawaiian rolls… great meal.

It’s my wife and kids’ favorite thing that I grill.

I inject mine with equal parts soy sauce, Worcestershire, onion powder and garlic powder and then put BBQ rub on the outside.

stateu1

Mar 21, 2016
Probably unpopular, but the pre marinated Smithfield ones from Wal Mart for $5 are pretty damned good.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Probably unpopular, but the pre marinated Smithfield ones from Wal Mart for $5 are pretty damned good.
Yes they are. Sams club has some marinated chicken thighs in a three blister pack that are great as well.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
No way, those are a staple in my house. Though I usually go the Kroger route, whatever brand that is.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
Yes they are. Sams club has some marinated chicken thighs in a three blister pack that are great as well.
If I'm by myself I blow in Sam's, get what I came for and blow out. When I go with my wife (rarely) I stay longer because she shops. If you take your time and shop a bit they have some good stuff in their grocery area.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
If I'm by myself I blow in Sam's, get what I came for and blow out. When I go with my wife (rarely) I stay longer because she shops. If you take your time and shop a bit they have some good stuff in their grocery area.
Sam’s is where I get pork belly. They really have improved their grocery and meat departments in the last 10 years. The kids like eating their frozen chicken bites that taste pretty much just like Chick Fil A

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
It’s really not my favorite piece of pork, it’s too lean. I’ll cook one occasionally but I’d rather have butts or ribs. I did something different a few days ago, I smoked pork steaks to 203. I normally grill them to 145 and love them but they are tough. At 203 I could cut them with a fork. Next time I will brine them first
Moved to St Louis for my first job after graduating from State and was introduced to "pork steaks". Regardless of who it was, you weren't going to a cookout that didn't feature pork steaks on the grill with Maull's BBQ sauce and Busch beer. 40 years later, still enjoy grilling up a pork steak occasionally.

Reactions: thatsbaseball

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
Moved to St Louis for my first job after graduating from State and was introduced to "pork steaks". Regardless of who it was, you weren't going to a cookout that didn't feature pork steaks on the grill with Maull's BBQ sauce and Busch beer. 40 years later, still enjoy grilling up a pork steak occasionally.
I do pork steaks in the summer. That’s about the only time I can find them in the store.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
I do those all the time (Hormel ones too) The Black Peppercorn or Garlic Asiago ones are top notch.

Dawgbite

Nov 1, 2011
Guy from just south of St Louis introduced me to pork steaks. He said he’d never eaten a beef ribeye until he moved to Ms. All a pork steak is is a Boston butt sliced so it stands to reason that they are cooked the same way.

85Bears

Jan 12, 2020
You can just pound it flat - start with 1" slice, pound down to 1/4 inch, then do that breading and fry. Should look like this
View attachment 523707
I was going to post that. Fried tenderloin sandwich is the best way to eat that. They have them in Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri. Pound it out flat,
Deep fry to a golden brown and eat on a bun with ketchup. Those things are incredible.

Have to have the right breading recipe, you can find online.

Last edited:

grinningmule

Jul 15, 2021
Walmart's Freshness Guaranteed brand Asiago Peppercorn is very tasty. They usually run larger than the Smithfield. I cook one or two per week for meal prepping.

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
You guys are making me hungry and I'm trying to lose 10 lbs. Maybe I will have another carrot. :(

• Sad
Reactions: DerHntr

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
I was going to post that. Fried tenderloin sandwich is the best way to eat that. They have them in Iowa, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri. Pound it out flat,
Deep fry to a golden brown and eat on a bun with ketchup. Those things are incredible.

Have to have the right breading recipe, you can find online.
There’s a gas station here that fries tenderloins in the morning and you put it on a biscuit. Theyre usually gone by 7:30.

Reactions: 85Bears

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006

106266388_10224170470591854_6373175967794188176_n.jpg

Wrapped in a bacon weave with Rufus Teague rub.

the_marshall

Jan 31, 2019
Sorry for the OT guys, but am I the only one that read "Polk" with my maroon glasses?

Probably so, but in other news, the wife did put a PORK tenderloin in the crockpot yesterday...its was GOOOD.

L4Dawg

Oct 27, 2016
Cut it into medallions, wrap them in bacon like a filet, sprinkle on a little pepper, and then grill. We call it pork wrapped pork.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
We do a lazy method too with it. Just stick it in the crock pot with some Sweet Baby Rays Hawaiian BBQ sauce and then eat it on some Hawaiian buns.

Lucifer Morningstar

Aug 30, 2022
You can just pound it flat - start with 1" slice, pound down to 1/4 inch, then do that breading and fry. Should look like this
View attachment 523707
Central Iowa says hi. The Devil likes to smoke his meats. I mean obviously I like fire. That being said, I love a pork tenderloin. Over the years I have tried to inject them, stuff garlic into them, wrap them in bacon along with prosciutto, and none of these things turns out better than the simple method. My simple method is rub them down just like I do my pork butts, then smoke them at 225 over peach wood. Then all I do is slice them really thin and serve it. Usually make some kind of homemade bbq sauce to go with them with the main ingredients in that being ketchup, honey, molasses's, and a few other things.

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login