portable lights

dahmer17

Aug 25, 2012
1982 portable lights were brought in for the LSU game. Lights were added in 1986. Was there another game played under portable lights? My memory is poor

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
It seems that the 1984 LSU game was under the lights too. However I can't say for sure. I know we won. 16-14.

Oh yeah, Artie Cosby's 54 yard game winner v Memphis st was at night in 1985.

Last edited:

Bill Shankly

Nov 27, 2020
It seems that the 1984 LSU game was under the lights too. However I can't say for sure. I know we won. 16-14.

I was at the '84 LSU game. Afternoon game, standard for the time 1:30 KO. I was on the sidelines with a camera for that one. That was FUN! I think 1985 the first year for the real lights.

Last edited:

braddog30

Mar 28, 2017
I watched the 82 game at my home. For the longest time I thought it was the first ever night game at Scott Field. But, it wasn’t. It was just the first one in a long long time. I have a photo of the stadium right after the west side (bottom tier now) was built. I don’t know the year, but you can see the light poles around the field.

Maroonthirteen

Aug 22, 2012
I was at the '84 LSU game. Afternoon game, standard for the time 1:30 KO. I was on the sidelines with a camera for that one. That was FUN! I think 1985 the first year for the real lights.

Thanks! Really digging through the memories.... I believe Orlando Lundie had a big game. I can't remember if Don Smith was hurt or Emory was playing both. I remember a play where Lundie starts one way, LSU has him hemmed up and he reverses field and out runs them around the other end for a big gain or maybe TD.

Also, wasn't the permanent lights up for the 85 season before they completely finished construction of the west upper deck? I recall a full season of going to games and marveling at the progress of the upper west side with each game. I was a young boy at the time.

Last edited:

Dawgpile

May 23, 2006
I watched the 82 game at my home. For the longest time I thought it was the first ever night game at Scott Field. But, it wasn’t. It was just the first one in a long long time. I have a photo of the stadium right after the west side (bottom tier now) was built. I don’t know the year, but you can see the light poles around the field.

You might want to double check that photo, it's probably of a stadium that looks similar to Scott Field. '82 was the first night game.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
Musco Lighting (still in business, best there are) brought in huge truck mounted telescoping lights for that game. It was so damn cold that day and I had a date w/ a girl from Eupora that was in an art class I had to take. She was standing on the row below me and I was above her w/ my arms around her. She was shivering and I said are you cold? She replied, "yep I'm shaking like a ********". Funny what you can remember after 40 years, almost every detail of that date. I knew it was going to be a good day after that comment........

thekimmer

Aug 30, 2012

That 27-24 LSU game was the first night game at Scott Field. Dana Moore kicked the winning FG. I was a student at State then and was there.

Last edited:

dahmer17

Aug 25, 2012
Musco Lighting (still in business, best there are) brought in huge truck mounted telescoping lights for that game. It was so damn cold that day and I had a date w/ a girl from Eupora that was in an art class I had to take. She was standing on the row below me and I was above her w/ my arms around her. She was shivering and I said are you cold? She replied, "yep I'm shaking like a ********". Funny what you can remember after 40 years, almost every detail of that date. I knew it was going to be a good day after that comment........

did you end up marrying your date?

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
It only lasted a few months, she was extremely fun, but extremely cra cra. Found out after awhile from some mutual friends she was a pill popper that supported her habit by stealing meds from the nursing home where she worked. That explained to me why one date she was bouncing off the walls and a real ball of energy and others could barely hold her head up.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login