Portal power

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Time for all yall to start freaking out. Hargrove is in theportal. No doubt the first of many to transfer out ***

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
He's a guy who was passed on the depth chart by Simeone Price. 4th String running back in a pass heavy offense.

I wish him the best.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
Ok, I’m freaking. Who’s Hargrove?

I had to look him up. He was a redshirt freshman running back. Likely saw that he was going to have to wait behind Johnson and Marks (and maybe Price).

AlCoDog

Feb 27, 2008
What is the thought or advantage in transferring at this point in the season? What if one or even two guys get injured?

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
What is the thought or advantage in transferring at this point in the season? What if one or even two guys get injured?

It’s generally just kids being frustrated and making a rash decision. i understand not waiting until after the season, other schools technically can’t tak to you u til you enter the portal. But he should stick around and practice and lift weights and continue to get better and if he’s still wanting to transfer in November, enter it then. I guess arguably you want to talk to schools before early signing period, but I think every school is saving spots for the portal now.

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
If he's thinking it through and realizes that if he can't crack the depth chart at MSU that he most likely will not be a next level player(NFL), he may just want to go somewhere to get playing time in a game that he enjoys and can clearly see the end in sight(college). He may also think that he has not had the right opportunity to showcase what he can do and wants to try elsewhere. I hope whatever he does is good for him.

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Disagree with the sentiment. He's a former 4* back who has explosive speed. We also didn't take a running back in this class due to having 4 scholarship rb's with eligibility remaining. But let's say Johnson and Woody both have excellent years and enter the draft since rb's don't have a long life-span in the NFL. We have 1 scholarship rb on the roster at that point. It's probably not a big deal, but I don't like having 3 scholarship backs on the roster.

Drebin

Aug 22, 2012
Disagree with the sentiment. He's a former 4* back who has explosive speed. We also didn't take a running back in this class due to having 4 scholarship rb's with eligibility remaining. But let's say Johnson and Woody both have excellent years and enter the draft since rb's don't have a long life-span in the NFL. We have 1 scholarship rb on the roster at that point. It's probably not a big deal, but I don't like having 3 scholarship backs on the roster.

I'm not saying I like it. Just suggesting why he chose to enter the portal.

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
2 running backs having "excellent years and enter the draft", from a Mike Leach offense? We avg 83 yds rushing per game last year. We only had 1082 yds total the entire season and 97 last week spread between 4 backs. I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.....

tired

Sep 16, 2013
He’s arguably the fastest guy on the team. Elite speed. I figured he’d get some touches this year, but Price has had an outstanding camp. He, most likely, would play a lot next year. I hate to see him go. You can’t coach/teach that kind of speed. I hope he reconsiders.

Hellsyeah

May 22, 2013
You also have Jernigan who had a few good touches last year, best I can recall. I think he was a walk-on who earned a scholarship

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
It is definitely a loss. I was hoping to see him on the field some this year. And if you really follow the NFL you will see that pass catching pass blocking running backs are the new prototypical back. So one or both getting drafted is not out of the question

Uncle Ruckus

Apr 1, 2011
Players aren’t just drafted off of production. Walker was just drafted first overall and only had 7.5 tfl last season. Those guys aren’t first round picks, but the NFL will draft guys who they think are good, regardless of stats.

Hot Rock

Jan 2, 2010
Players aren’t just drafted off of production. Walker was just drafted first overall and only had 7.5 tfl last season. Those guys aren’t first round picks, but the NFL will draft guys who they think are good, regardless of stats.

There is one more thing, RB's have a finite amount of carries in them. It's a lot tougher on the body to run it 20-25 times a game rather than run it 8 times with 5-10 catches. If an NFL team likes what they see, they could be getting a healthier player.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
I'm glad he decided to stay and I hope he stays positive and earns some playing time but in the words of a wise man " the truth is you've run and that can't be undone"

dudehead

Jul 9, 2006

I'm surprised we have three RB scholly players since we are a team that goes in the gun on the opponent's goal line.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Not happy sitting the bench for first time in life. And coaches probably riding his *** is my guess. Probably will come out of the portal.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login