Portal Talk- Adjusting to the New Reality

Jul 5, 2020
I'm not sure if this is a minority opinion, but I enjoy the portal activity as part of college sports. It's just a straight-forward free agent system, which is what the last few years of changes created. If our staff adapts to it quickly, then I think we have the advantage of being a SECW member to offer lots of the best players across lower caliber schools and conferences. Will we lose players? Yes. Will we get guys who matured a little at another school that we can continue to develop? I think so. If you can offer a chance to start and be in the SEC, I think that gives an advantage against B1G Ten, ACC, etc.

Every negative that can be ascribed to the portal (kids taking time to gel, never knowing what a year to year roster will be) is applicable to all schools and won't affect us any more than other schools except for the traditionally strongest programs anyway.

What say you?

patdog

May 28, 2007
When have we ever adapted to something new quickly? We were late on NIL which goes hand in hand with the portal.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Portal not a problem in my mind. NIL is, but not as big as some make it.

People freak out when folks hit the portal and or get some money, but by and large, the majority aren't affected.

Reactions: IBleedMaroonDawg

BoDawg.sixpack

Feb 5, 2010
Well we're 8-4 with a good chance of going 9-4. Tell me how many times we've finished with 9 wins in the last 30 years...
I don't think NIL and the portal is worthy of a bunch of hand wringing. Seems to me things are either the same or a little better. Of course we need a few more data points but I don't see the earth moving much.

Reactions: horshack.sixpack

MSUDOG24

Mar 31, 2021
I'm not sure if this is a minority opinion, but I enjoy the portal activity as part of college sports. It's just a straight-forward free agent system, which is what the last few years of changes created. If our staff adapts to it quickly, then I think we have the advantage of being a SECW member to offer lots of the best players across lower caliber schools and conferences. Will we lose players? Yes. Will we get guys who matured a little at another school that we can continue to develop? I think so. If you can offer a chance to start and be in the SEC, I think that gives an advantage against B1G Ten, ACC, etc.

Every negative that can be ascribed to the portal (kids taking time to gel, never knowing what a year to year roster will be) is applicable to all schools and won't affect us any more than other schools except for the traditionally strongest programs anyway.

What say you?
Inclined to agree but would still give it 2 to 3 more years to settle. While I was always a big supporter of "sit out a year" and thought reasonable, the counter arguments have been reasonable as well. Not sure it gives us any advantage per se but with a few exceptions around the country, so far it hasn't been the disaster many predicted, me included. Funny how often I read "we need to hit the portal" across all fan bases and sports.
What still blows my mind a bit is for as old, odd, unemotional/somewhat uninspiring/"un-cool" as Leach is, the players and coaches love him or at least appear to. Not a lot of unexpected departures and no locker room or off the field drama that I know of. For as much as we all ***** about some of the details of his behavior and play calling, it certainly seems he knows how to run P5 program.

Jul 5, 2020
Inclined to agree but would still give it 2 to 3 more years to settle. While I was always a big supporter of "sit out a year" and thought reasonable, the counter arguments have been reasonable as well. Not sure it gives us any advantage per se but with a few exceptions around the country, so far it hasn't been the disaster many predicted, me included. Funny how often I read "we need to hit the portal" across all fan bases and sports.
What still blows my mind a bit is for as old, odd, unemotional/somewhat uninspiring/"un-cool" as Leach is, the players and coaches love him or at least appear to. Not a lot of unexpected departures and no locker room or off the field drama that I know of. For as much as we all ***** about some of the details of his behavior and play calling, it certainly seems he knows how to run P5 program.
I think the recent spate of articles about how much Leach's former coaches respect him confirms this as well. I think that he has a very steady hand, which can be frustrating from a press conference/soundbite standpoint, but must have some effect in the locker room. That's why I think we'll do okay in the portal. He can offer a product that most schools can't, which is a chance to start in the best division of the best league in football. I'm here for it.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Portal not a problem in my mind. NIL is, but not as big as some make it.

People freak out when folks hit the portal and or get some money, but by and large, the majority aren't affected.

I think its the reverse. NIL is just an exaggerated version of what was already happening in recruiting. Its not nearly as big of an impact as making every player, every year an unrestricted free agent.

That negates any room for high level competitiveness that MSU could ever have, because even if you find a diamond in the rough recruit type guy who has become the lifeblood of MSU’s program - we won’t be able to keep them anymore. Seeing it now with RaRa, and it will happen more and more often. Imagine if this was in place for guys like Dak, Pork Chop Womack, Robert Bean, etc.

But ultimately, its both NIL and the portal going on simultaneously that has created this **** show. If you could transfer freely, but a school would literally get the death penalty for trying to give even $1000 to a player as a recruiting inducement, it would be no problem. Or, if you had the old transfer rules but a laissez faire NIL like now, it would also be fine. But you can’t just deregulate everything and expect college football to ever be anything close to the same as it was in regards to fan emotional investment and engagement. Imagine what it would do to the NFL’s brand if they completely eliminated the salary cap and banned any contract that lasted beyond one year. That is what college football has done.

Last edited:

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
I'm a geezer and no I don't like it. Not necessarily paying the players but the immediate eligibility part of it. I still believe a player needs to sit a year unless their coach has changed jobs or has been fired.

HRMSU

Apr 26, 2022
I think its the reverse. NIL is just an exaggerated version of what was already happening in recruiting. Its not nearly as big of an impact as making every player, every year an unrestricted free agent.

That negates any room for high level competitiveness that MSU could ever have, because even if you find a diamond in the rough recruit type guy who has become the lifeblood of MSU’s program - we won’t be able to keep them anymore. Seeing it now with RaRa, and it will happen more and more often. Imagine if this was in place for guys like Dak, Pork Chop Womack, Robert Bean, etc.

But ultimately, its both NIL and the portal going on simultaneously that has created this **** show. If you could transfer freely, but a school would literally get the death penalty for trying to give even $1000 to a player as a recruiting inducement, it would be no problem. Or, if you had the old transfer rules but a laissez faire NIL like now, it would also be fine. But you can’t just deregulate everything and expect college football to ever be anything close to the same as it was in regards to fan emotional investment and engagement. Imagine what it would do to the NFL’s brand if they completely eliminated the salary cap and banned any contract that lasted beyond one year. That is what college football has done.

^ This

I could be wrong but this is exactly what makes me think we are headed for glorified minor league football. Next phase is they will not be students.

Are we headed for Non-exclusive 1099 contractors that distribute their football talent to Mississippi State until they get a better offer. I'll pass on that

Reactions: Maroon13

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
We won't kill our revenue stream. If it ever happened it would happen at a National level just like this other crap.
Not really. If the fans decide enough, stop donations, stop buying tickets,
It will move to a slow grinding halt.

Reactions: HRMSU

was21

May 29, 2007

What say you?
Are you going to ante up financially

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022

What say you?
1) players that don't want to be somewhere, don't usually pan out/hit their potential. So it's not as big a deal as you think.

2) that having been said, it would work better if there was something Iike the NFL's franchise tag, so you can protect yourself from key players leaving and destroying the next season. Maybe your top 3 or 5 NIL earners can't transfer, or if they do they have to sit a year? Maybe you have to sit 12 games, minus 3 for every year in the program?

A restriction on intra-league transfers would be nice for us.

ETA: these are student-atheletes, so maybe a restriction tied to grades would be just cute enough to pass muster and have enough bite to do the trick. Something like if you transfer and have a sub 2.0 or lack of progress on your degree, then you have to sit a year. To focus on your studies. Let's be honest, this would hit most of the players.

Side question: did they get rid of making players sit for grades? I can't remember the last time that happened to a state player. Smoot for the bowl game?

Last edited:

karlchilders.sixpack

Jun 5, 2008
it would work better if there was something Iike the NFL's franchise tag, so you can protect yourself from key players leaving and destroying the next season. Maybe your top 3 or 5 NIL earners can't transfer, or if they do they have to sit a year? Maybe you have to sit 12 games, minus 3 for every year in the program?

Dream world at this time, the courts are InCharge for now, and it has no set direction.

Boom Boom

Sep 29, 2022
it would work better if there was something Iike the NFL's franchise tag, so you can protect yourself from key players leaving and destroying the next season. Maybe your top 3 or 5 NIL earners can't transfer, or if they do they have to sit a year? Maybe you have to sit 12 games, minus 3 for every year in the program?

Dream world at this time, the courts are InCharge for now, and it has no set direction.
Why? The courts brought us NIL, but aren't transfer rules still squarely in the control of the NCAA and the leagues?

dickiedawg

Feb 22, 2008
1) players that don't want to be somewhere, don't usually pan out/hit their potential. So it's not as big a deal as you think.

2) that having been said, it would work better if there was something Iike the NFL's franchise tag, so you can protect yourself from key players leaving and destroying the next season. Maybe your top 3 or 5 NIL earners can't transfer, or if they do they have to sit a year? Maybe you have to sit 12 games, minus 3 for every year in the program?

A restriction on intra-league transfers would be nice for us.

ETA: these are student-atheletes, so maybe a restriction tied to grades would be just cute enough to pass muster and have enough bite to do the trick. Something like if you transfer and have a sub 2.0 or lack of progress on your degree, then you have to sit a year. To focus on your studies. Let's be honest, this would hit most of the players.

Side question: did they get rid of making players sit for grades? I can't remember the last time that happened to a state player. Smoot for the bowl game?
Players still have to maintain eligibility with their grades. They have an army of tutors to make sure they stay on track.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login