Potential AD Hire: John David Wicker

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
Well he has experience with large capital improvements, SDSU just built a new football stadium.

maroonmadman

Nov 7, 2010
As far as experience goes his resume looks better than Cohen's. Experience as in athletic administration, which is what you want in an AD, not necessarily coaching experience. If the Cohen rumors are true he should get a hard look for the job of AD.

Reactions: patdog

ExtremeDog

Apr 8, 2003
He is a marketing guy. He has no experience In athletic administration. Why would that even be a good hire?

pcdog2017

Aug 18, 2019
I suppose marketing/branding, fan experience/engagement, fundraising, etc arent huge parts of the AD job?

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
He is a marketing guy. He has no experience In athletic administration. Why would that even be a good hire?
Poor marketing seems to be the biggest complaint people have about the current state of our athletic department.

ExtremeDog

Apr 8, 2003
I suppose marketing/branding, fan experience/engagement, fundraising, etc arent huge parts of the AD job?
It’s a division of the ad job. mark Keenum hired Hobart back, and it was a damn good move! What that guy has done this year has been incredible. The best thing to happen to us was for Leah Beasley to leave. She was the absolute worst at her job? She got that job with us because she aligned with Cohen politically And was a yes man ……. I mean yes woman

dog99walker

Jul 16, 2021
If Cohen leaves us this will be ex-AD number 3 that occupies a seat at an SEC opponent. I personally think that it tells me that MSU is doing a good job in the arena of Athletics management. We have less than others and we continue to put competitive facilities and teams in the SEC completion. The question is why do these AD’s keep leaving?

Reactions: Perd Hapley

paindonthurt

Jun 27, 2009
He is a marketing guy. He has no experience In athletic administration. Why would that even be a good hi
I’m not saying we should hire Rhett but hiring a marketing guy and fundraising guy is the way to go.

Let experts make the coaching hires and manage expectations.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Might want to look at lan McCaw. He is Canadian but he has Liberty competing in every sport.

But

Im An Idiot Stupid GIF - Im An Idiot Stupid Embarrassed GIFs

DoggieDaddy13

Dec 23, 2017
If Cohen leaves us this will be ex-AD number 3 that occupies a seat at an SEC opponent. I personally think that it tells me that MSU is doing a good job in the arena of Athletics management. We have less than others and we continue to put competitive facilities and teams in the SEC completion. The question is why do these AD’s keep leaving?
That's exactly what it says. Our ADs - regardless of the SPS narrative - have been 17n exceptional for us.

They leave for more money and perks, I am sure. And - and I speak from some experience - no one one needs to stay in a job like that for much more than 7 years. the **** gets old after awhile and you lose your edge. you need a change of scenery and a new challenge. It's good for you and better for the organization you're leaving, though they may not see it that way.

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022

It's obvious. Bigger towns, bigger opportunities for their family and bigger and easier opportunities for their career.

however, if former athletes aren't interested in building their school and being a part of something bigger than them... then why do I remain loyal?

Dawg1976

Aug 22, 2012
It's a win for us but also for Cohen. He's made good money and will probably make more at AU. And if only survives for 3 to 4 years he will just pad his retirement acct even more.

chuckster.sixpack

Mar 26, 2015
Well said. MSU is on a ”three game” winning streak when it comes to hiring ADs.

Barkman Turner Overdrive

May 28, 2006
It's obvious. Bigger towns, bigger opportunities for their family and bigger and easier opportunities for their career.

however, if former athletes aren't interested in building their school and being a part of something bigger than them... then why do I remain loyal?
Yep. I’ve never felt more Southern Miss-ish. We might as well put on purple and yellow like the vast majority of their alums. Hell, the way our academics have allegedly dropped, we may BE Southern Miss.

XBLDawg

Mar 20, 2014
Let’s hire Shane Power! Hiring a hoops ball player was good enough for Mississippi!!

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login