Power 5 Coaches hired 2017-2018

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I came across this on Twitter. It’s the fate of every Power 5 coach hired 2017-2018.

There were 13. All but 4 were fired and Cristobol left Oregon for Miami, leaving 3 on their original teams.

View attachment 25343

MSUDC11

Aug 23, 2012
Most of those were total disasters.

Cristobal and Jimbo at least maintained the status quo, even if they didn’t really elevate much.

Mullen started off strong but couldn’t maintain it. The wheels started falling off in late 2020 and then 2021 was a train wreck for him.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
I'm a little surprised Chip Kelly is still at UCLA. I think the 2020 Covid season helped keep him around.

If you look at his tenure there, he has had 1 good season (last year) and about zero good wins. I mean, they're 3-0 now, but they've played Bowling Green, Alabama State, and South Alabama (and probably would have lost if South Alabama would have just kicked a FG instead of going for it).

To a lesser extent, same thing with Jonathan Smith at Oregon State. He's only had 1 winning season (7-6 last year).

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
I'm a little surprised Chip Kelly is still at UCLA. I think the 2020 Covid season helped keep him around.

If you look at his tenure there, he has had 1 good season (last year) and about zero good wins. I mean, they're 3-0 now, but they've played Bowling Green, Alabama State, and South Alabama (and probably would have lost if South Alabama would have just kicked a FG instead of going for it).

To a lesser extent, same thing with Jonathan Smith at Oregon State. He's only had 1 winning season (7-6 last year).

UCLAis lucky to get 10000 folks on the Rosebowl for games. He will have to completely tank to get fired.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
It would be interesting to know the total payout to the coaches that were fired. I’d probably puke thinking about that much money paid to stop you from doing a ****** job.

kired

Aug 22, 2008
He beat USC, Cal, and Stanford last year. That along probably went a long way into getting his contract extended even though those teams all sucked.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
I came across this on Twitter. It’s the fate of every Power 5 coach hired 2017-2018.

There were 13. All but 4 were fired and Cristobol left Oregon for Miami, leaving 3 on their original teams.

View attachment 25343

The coaching carousel has accelerated so much that options for all but the bluest of blue bloods are retreads or have thin resumes.

Jimbo Fisher had a great resume with the only blemish being FSU starting to tank, but A&M had to pay ridiculous money to get him.
Mullen had a great resume with the only blemish being his *** hole personality and lack of interest in recruiting.
Scott Frost had a great resume and had the added benefit of coming "home".
Chip Kelly had a great resume with the only blemish being that he left Oregon on probation.
Willie Taggart looked good I guess?
Jonathan Smith was what you'd expect an OSU to hire, a coordinator from a good program.

After that?
Kevin Sumlin was a pretty good hire if a retread. Not like he tanked at A&M. Just "underachieved" like every A&M head coach.
Herm Edwards was a retread.
Chad MOrris had a thin resume to say the least.
Matt Luke shouldn't have even been a candidate (although you could have said the same thing about Sam Pitman).
Joe Moorhead somehow simultaneously was a retread and had a thin resume.
Jeremy Pruitt had probably forgotten what asparagus was by that point.

NOt sure if every year ends up with programs reaching like that, but you'd think that would convince ADs to wait to pull the trigger until they were confident they had a good replacement option.

Cristobal was dismissed from FIU after having a winning record in conference twice in 6 years. THen he went to the Saban Coaching Rehab Clinic before getting hired by Oregon. Not a terrible hire, but certainly not unblemished.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
I think there are only two possible answers.

If you still think Jimbo will get it together, then he's a reasonable answer.

If not, Luke Matt was hired as a placeholder until their NCAA troubles passed. He essentially fulfilled his job description

FlotownDawg

Aug 30, 2012
Goes to show how much coaching hires are often crapshoots. So many so called “home run” hires completely fail, like Scott Frost at Nebraska or Dan Mullen at Florida. Hell, even Joe Moorhead was thought to be a great hire for us by every media person in the country. Willie Taggert was also thought to be a great hire for FSU and he was abysmal. Meanwhile, everybody made fun of Arkansas for hiring Sam Pittman, who didn’t even have a Wikipedia page, and he’s done great pulling them out of the Chad Morris abyss.

patdog

May 28, 2007
In Dan Mullen's 4 seasons at Florida, he had 3 of their 4 best seasons since 2009. I never though Frost or Taggert were good hires, though I have to admit I thought Moorhead was until about 4 games into his 1st season.

Zebrahater

Sep 1, 2017

View attachment 25343

My son plays for South AL, we played UCLA this weekend in the Rose Bowl & should've won. Just google it the game. Our coach definitely cost us this game on a ridiculous fake FG call when were up by 1pt, 2:00 minutes left in the game. Our Oline & Dline were more physical than their team loaded with 4 & 5 starts. Fans at UCLA want Chip Kelly fired, He won't make it through this season.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
In Dan Mullen's 4 seasons at Florida, he had 3 of their 4 best seasons since 2009. I never though Frost or Taggert were good hires, though I have to admit I thought Moorhead was until about 4 games into his 1st season.

This point is continually ignored or dismissed by those who want to just claim Mullen was a trainwreck at Florida. Reality says otherwise. They played for a conference championship and were highly ranked multiple seasons.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
It would be interesting to know the total payout to the coaches that were fired. I’d probably puke thinking about that much money paid to stop you from doing a ****** job.

Coaching salaries are absolutely nuts. And buyouts are equally crazy. Its akin to CEO salaries at the largest 500 companies and there is no justification for paying so many so much when performance is actually tracked.

Aug 22, 2012
This point is continually ignored or dismissed by those who want to just claim Mullen was a trainwreck at Florida. Reality says otherwise. They played for a conference championship and were highly ranked multiple seasons.

Who's saying he was a train wreck? I think the general consensus is that his level of success was good enough for MSU but not good enough for Florida. That proved to be true.

patdog

May 28, 2007
A lot of people don’t want to hear this, but Florida made a mistake in firing Dan Mullen.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Who's saying he was a train wreck? I think the general consensus is that his level of success was good enough for MSU but not good enough for Florida. That proved to be true.

There have been multiple threads on here where his tenure at Florida is viewed by many as bad/trainwreck/unimpressive.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
A lot of people don’t want to hear this, but Florida made a mistake in firing Dan Mullen.

I don't know if it was a "mistake" in the sense that it will cost them wins, but it was a very low value move. They paid him a bunch of money so that they could then pay a bunch of money to replace him with somebody that there is no reason to think will fare any better. They basically paid a lot of money to hire the poor man's Mullen. Power Spread guy that was successful at a lower tier school (but lower tier than Mullen and also not as far removed from recent success). A Saban disciple instead of a Meyer disciple. The only thing to suggest he will be as or more successful than Mullen, and to be fair it is a big one, is it appears he has embraced the suck on recruiting in a way that Mullen did not and would not. And I say appeared, because Mullen came in saying the right things and having a ton of energy.

tcdog70

Sep 24, 2012
not hard to figure out Dan--he wins the games he is supposed to win and chokes in big games. He isn't an elite recruiter and sucks as an in game Coach.

DerHntr

Sep 18, 2007
Coaching salaries are absolutely nuts. And buyouts are equally crazy. Its akin to CEO salaries at the largest 500 companies and there is no justification for paying so many so much when performance is actually tracked.

It’s a total of roughly $82.4 million based on what I could find online. A couple coaches have mixed reports but the numbers weren’t too far apart.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012

I’m not sure you can really say that, given how badly (and quickly) he lost the locker room. In terms of program control, he literally went from 1999 Jackie Sherrill to 2003 Jackie Sherrill in a span of about 3 months. Remember that South Carolina game last year? And once you lose the locker room just once….its all over. A top 5 program like Florida is going to have zero tolerance for that level of degradation over such a short time period…..nor should they.

Last edited:

patdog

May 28, 2007
Maybe. But I certainly don't think they upgraded. Last year was strange. He had 2 great seasons and then that. Maybe he just got tired of it all, said 17 it and "quiet quit" last year before it got popular this year, and took the buyout to go to the house.

missouridawg

Oct 6, 2009
My son plays for South AL, we played UCLA this weekend in the Rose Bowl & should've won. Just google it the game. Our coach definitely cost us this game on a ridiculous fake FG call when were up by 1pt, 2:00 minutes left in the game. Our Oline & Dline were more physical than their team loaded with 4 & 5 starts. Fans at UCLA want Chip Kelly fired, He won't make it through this season.

I know it was an emotional loss, but UCLA ain’t loaded with 5 star talent.

Wish y’all would’ve pulled that out though. Love it when the little guy takes down the big guy, as long as it ain’t us.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I think they made a mistake in hiring Mullen. He never was a fit there. Florida needs speed, not a power spread. Chip Kelly likely would have been better for them.

And I see where you're coming from about his firing, but it's hard to argue they had a choice. But FLORIDA is the one who made things toxic to the point he had to be fired, not just Mullen.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
I don't know if it was a "mistake" in the sense that it will cost them wins, but it was a very low value move. They paid him a bunch of money so that they could then pay a bunch of money to replace him with somebody that there is no reason to think will fare any better. They basically paid a lot of money to hire the poor man's Mullen. Power Spread guy that was successful at a lower tier school (but lower tier than Mullen and also not as far removed from recent success). A Saban disciple instead of a Meyer disciple. The only thing to suggest he will be as or more successful than Mullen, and to be fair it is a big one, is it appears he has embraced the suck on recruiting in a way that Mullen did not and would not. And I say appeared, because Mullen came in saying the right things and having a ton of energy.
No question here. Napier is a nimrod who won't last.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
not hard to figure out Dan--he wins the games he is supposed to win and chokes in big games. He isn't an elite recruiter and sucks as an in game Coach.
Glad somebody else realizes this besides me. His play-calling and time management sucks. He WAS however, a very good game-planner, and usually prepared the team very well and had them ready to play, and that goes a long way.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Maybe. But I certainly don't think they upgraded. Last year was strange. He had 2 great seasons and then that. Maybe he just got tired of it all, said 17 it and "quiet quit" last year before it got popular this year, and took the buyout to go to the house.

It was extremely strange. For the first 6 games of the year, UF was 4-2, including a lopsided win over a pretty good Tennessee team, and competitive losses to Alabama and to a good Kentucky team on the road. Then they went to Baton Rouge and had 50 hung on them in a competitive loss, and the wheels just came completely off. They got crushed by UGA, had a horrible USCe team absolutely run roughshod over them in Gainesville, lost to a bad Mizzou team, and even had Samford hang 52 points on them.

They looked exactly like the Florida of the first three Mullen seasons for the first 6 or 7 games….top 15-20 caliber team at worst….then they immediately devolved to an FCS caliber squad almost overnight. Then they had things going on like a Rhodes scholar finalist calling out their coaching staff in the media….the kind of stuff you couldn’t ever imagine happening with a Dan Mullen run program. Just horrible stuff that had to be happening behind the scenes, and the only way you can really rectify that type of situation is with a coaching change.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
It was extremely strange. For the first 6 games of the year, UF was 4-2, including a lopsided win over a pretty good Tennessee team, and competitive losses to Alabama and to a good Kentucky team on the road. Then they went to Baton Rouge and had 50 hung on them in a competitive loss, and the wheels just came completely off. They got crushed by UGA, had a horrible USCe team absolutely run roughshod over them in Gainesville, lost to a bad Mizzou team, and even had Samford hang 52 points on them.

They looked exactly like the Florida of the first three Mullen seasons for the first 6 or 7 games….top 15-20 caliber team at worst….then they immediately devolved to an FCS caliber squad almost overnight. Then they had things going on like a Rhodes scholar finalist calling out their coaching staff in the media….the kind of stuff you couldn’t ever imagine happening with a Dan Mullen run program. Just horrible stuff that had to be happening behind the scenes, and the only way you can really rectify that type of situation is with a coaching change.
They were competitive in that Georgia game too, until that turnover fest right before halftime. Just went downhill from there. Which tells me something else was going on.

I think it was Spurrier and all of them constantly harping on "Top 5 recruiting classes", for years on end. They had their expectations out of whack from the beginning to go along with Mullen not being the best fit, philosophy wise.

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Craziest thing to me is that we all know how poorly Moorhead turned out….but he probably wasn’t even in the top 5 of worst hires on that list that year based on actual results. Morris, Luke, Frost, Taggart, Pruitt, and probably Mullen were all worse in terms of the shape they left their programs in.

Smoked Toag

Jul 15, 2021
Craziest thing to me is that we all know how poorly Moorhead turned out….but he probably wasn’t even in the top 5 of worst hires on that list that year based on actual results. Morris, Luke, Frost, Taggart, Pruitt, and probably Mullen were all worse in terms of the shape they left their programs in.
Morris and Luke both left the roster in good shape with a lot of young talent. When you're having losing seasons, usually your recruiting gets better just by virtue of being able to offer immediate playing time. Those same guys have been winning for Pittman and Kiffin.

Frost, Taggart, Pruitt? I don't really know enough. But seems Tennessee has good talent too.

Moorhead left us with Charles Cross. That's about it. The 2020 class took over quickly as starters, and we can either credit Moorhead or Leach with them, but again, he was able to get those guys due to us sucking and having a bunch of positions open immediately. Luke wiped the floor with Moorhead on that 2019 class, and those guys were the base of Kiffin's first two teams. He also signed that danged ole QB from southern california that nobody wanted because he drank a few beers....

Moorhead was just colossally terrible based his results vs. the talent he had (inherited), and it's still scary to think about where we were headed in 2020 had he stuck around. 1-9 maybe, does he even beat Vanderbilt?

Last edited:

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

They also were near top in the nation in a lot of rushing statistics the first half the season, and then fell off a cliff. And I don't think they had any significant injuries on the O-Line and it wasn't competition driven (they'd played good competition). Just weird as hell.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login