Pretty spot on opinion on the transfer portal

horshack.sixpack

Oct 30, 2012
And before any of you get your panties in a twist, there’s zero politics in this video.

If I had free reign to make a change over the summer, I'd do something incremental:

1. Scholarship offers are made for the length of eligibility that a player has remaining at the time of signing. (5 years max for entering freshmen)
  2. Sit out a year if you transfer.
  3. If you enter the transfer portal, at the school's discretion, 1. can be cancelled at the end of the academic term during which the portal was entered, whether the athlete chooses to actually leave or not.

Basically balance student/university value.

GloryDawg

Mar 3, 2005
Just get rid of it and go back to the way and rules they had. That would solve a lot of guys transferring for NIL money.

Reactions: LimaoCabeca

Seinfeld

Nov 30, 2006
Fair take, and I think his comment about not letting the game use you is spot on. In fact, that’s exactly what gets me riled up about it.

We like to talk about all the “restrictions” that used to be in place over college athletes, but what some people call restrictions, I call a means of oftentimes protecting young, immature athletes from themselves. What we’ve done in recent years with unlimited NIL and a wide open portal is about like putting one of these kids in a room with a bottle of Jack, a tray of coke, and a couple hookers and then saying “We’ll Johnny, best of luck and I hope you make the right choices” as we leave the room. Better yet, we then come back a couple years later with all kinds of told ya sos and ridicule when things don’t work out.

I don’t know the answer, but what we’ve got now ain’t it for anyone involved

Reactions: jethreauxdawg

Clay Lyle

Sep 30, 2022
When a recruit signs an NLI, let them choose for it to be between 1-5 years. They can only transfer penalty free outside of the term length or if a head coaching change occurs. That way you know the intent of the recruit you are pursuing.

Reactions: intouch2018

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
"Whatever the market will bear" is the answer if you agree that capitalism is the American Dream

This has to be managed like the NFL, with draft, salary cap, free agency, all of it. There's no getting around it. Otherwise you will see the teams that drop 8 figures a year into their recruiting win. Adding 8 more teams will be a nice fuzzy feeling but only 3-4 of those 12 teams will have a realistic chance of winning.

I also think you will have to put salary performance bonuses to keep them for bowl games and not transfer

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login