Prime Time recruiting secret

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
If a white coach had said this.....Holy shiit

RocketDawg

Oct 21, 2011
In general, he's correct but of course there are exceptions. Quarterbacks need to be intelligent. In fact, all "skill positions" need to be bright. Linemen need to be big. However - if a white coach had said the same things he'd no doubt be fired immediately.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Meh. It was a really idiotic thing to say in general, but I’m not sure it was inherently racist.

Its just dumb and ignorant as hell to say you have a preference or aversion to any particular player based on how many parents raised them…..something any recruit has exactly zero control over.

Even the 3.5 GPA for QB’s thing is dumb. Plenty of great and very football-smart QB’s all over college football that aren’t rocking a 3.5.

AFDawg

Apr 28, 2010
Quarterbacks need to be intelligent. In fact, all "skill positions" need to be bright. Linemen need to be big.
The last stats I saw showed that the average Wonderlic for offensive tackles and centers was higher than that for quarterbacks.

onewoof

Mar 4, 2008
This is in light of Mahomes and Hurt who both come from good parenting. As well as CJ Stroud, Bryce Young and Will Rogers.

DecadeReb2

Jul 2, 2021
Meh. It was a really idiotic thing to say in general, but I’m not sure it was inherently racist.

Its just dumb and ignorant as hell to say you have a preference or aversion to any particular player based on how many parents raised them…..something any recruit has exactly zero control over.

Even the 3.5 GPA for QB’s thing is dumb. Plenty of great and very football-smart QB’s all over college football that aren’t rocking a 3.5.
That’s somewhat the point. The statement does not have to be inherently racist, it just depends what color the person is who makes said statement.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
That’s somewhat the point. The statement does not have to be inherently racist, it just depends what color the person is who makes said statement.

Well the point seems to have been that if a white coach said it he’d be in deep sh*t. I don’t necessarily think so….I think any coach who is not Deion Sanders (white or black) would have drawn quite a bit of criticism for saying something so obviously ignorant. But Deion, for better or worse, has normalized idiotic statements over several years, so he will likely get a pass based on just being himself.

WrapItDog

Aug 23, 2012

Especially coming from a man that divorced two wives that had his five kids.

He recruited his own son that didn't have a father in the home since the kid was about 12. With Deion's TV job he was probably gone most of the kid's life.

She Mate Me

Dec 7, 2008
Is it still racism when I say Deion is going to be a massive failure at Colorado??

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
Stupid thing to say in that media limited context but he does have a point considering the stats LBJ's "Great Society" had on fatherless homes and its impact on child performance in the classroom and society in general. We've gone downhill at this point. Sad.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login