Pro Football Update: LSU has customized jerseys

harrybollocks

Oct 11, 2012
#LSUNIL: "We brought the business community together to empower, educate and get them in the game. It’s about understanding the NIL space and the start of more conversations."

The big, rich schools aren't waiting around. A&M has near unlimited funds, but they're not the only ones throwing lots of cash around just to win college football games. An interesting future now that money isn't an issue. Nice facilities plus cash is gonna appeal to a lot of talented players.

CagerMania

Feb 27, 2008
To me, this is where the NIL will land for most teams.

There will be (are) a handful of teams’ whose boosters just straight pay players, but that seems unsustainable unless you can collect enough to create an endowment and pay them off of the interest. Just throwing money at players (half of whom are busts or transfer) might get old otherwise (except maybe to the ultra rich).

Then there will be sponsorships from businesses who legitimately benefit from the athletes’ endorsements. Probably mostly car dealerships, since they all seem to be in the game already. Will benefit larger market schools.

Finally, and most sensibly, teams create an online “store” for each player. You can buy their jersey or autograph and a cut goes to the player. Seems like the best way to engage the average fan in this process and get lots of contributions of smaller amounts. I’m much more likely to pay up for a jersey for my kid’s favorite player if some of the $ is going to that player than I am to just donate to a fund for players where I receive no material benefit.

Teams could get creative and go beyond jerseys - sell “experiences” or photo opportunities, player branded clothing, etc. Add something like that Cameo company does where you pay Will Rogers to say happy birthday to your kid.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
I wish Mississippi state can come up with some creative NIL deal like this for football. It seems all our NIL deals are for baseball.

kphall11

Apr 8, 2013
I wish Mississippi state can come up with some creative NIL deal like this for football. It seems all our NIL deals are for baseball.

I wouldn’t really call it creative. I’d call it the easiest way for players to make money.

MS NIL laws currently don’t allow university trademarks so state can’t do it.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
We're poor, not creative, and handcuffed by state regulations. The NIL will not be kind to us.

Feb 12, 2013
Don't worry, the state of Mississippi will come around to the idea in about 10 years, and all the idiots in Jackson will act like it's a new brillant idea***

Mr. Cook

Nov 4, 2021
Don't worry, the state of Mississippi will come around to the idea in about 10 years, and all the idiots in Jackson will act like it's a new brillant idea***

10 years?? A little optimistic, don't ya think?****

The Peeper

Feb 26, 2008
My understanding is that "teams" can't be involved in any shape, fashion, or form, period. If a player wants to "sell his jersey" it will have to be a cheap mock up of what a real one looks like because the university logos can't be used and that takes $$ out of the school pockets too. They can wear a maroon jersey with their number on it and it may can say "Dogs" on it but that's about it. The school won't be getting a cut either, NIL's are for the player and their agency, there is supposed to be no school/team involvement at all

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login