PSA: A&M is -2 vs a team with 1 road win today.

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
I'm just curious. I have no expectations and I've been crushed so many times that I have no hope left

We definitely shouldn't do this to ourselves, but according to Bart Torvik:
https://barttorvik.com/teamcast.php?&team=Mississippi+St.&year=2022

• We are currently at a 1% chance to make the tournament
  • A win today bumps us up to 6%.
  • I don't know exactly how the SEC Tournament bracket is going to shake out, but also beating Alabama in game 1 and losing to Kentucky in the quarterfinals puts us at 15%.
  • Beating Texas A&M today, then Alabama and Kentucky and losing to Tennessee puts us at 59%.
  • Beating Texas A&M, Alabama, Kentucky, and Tennessee and then losing to Auburn in the SEC Championship Game gives us 84% and then slots us into a 9 seed.

I know, I know, none of that's going to happen. But after everything we still have a narrow path to play our way in.

VegasDawg13

Jun 11, 2007
They're #56 and we're 57th in NET. Seems if this win (Q2) would move them in a tourney, then a Q1 win for us would get us in the conversation
NET is just one metric and more of a starting point. Some differences between us:

1) We're 3-10 away from home. Even among the flawed teams that comprise the bubble, that is very bad. They're a respectable 7-7

2) Their best win was a 16-pt win on the road at Alabama. Our best win was a 1-pt win at home over that same team.

3) Nearly all of their losses came in a row. I don't know if they were missing a key player or something, but they could get a bump if that's the case.

4) I really don't think they have much of a shot anyway.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
We definitely shouldn't do this to ourselves, but according to Bart Torvik:
https://barttorvik.com/teamcast.php?&team=Mississippi+St.&year=2022

• We are currently at a 1% chance to make the tournament
  • A win today bumps us up to 6%.
  • I don't know exactly how the SEC Tournament bracket is going to shake out, but also beating Alabama in game 1 and losing to Kentucky in the quarterfinals puts us at 15%.
  • Beating Texas A&M today, then Alabama and Kentucky and losing to Tennessee puts us at 59%.
  • Beating Texas A&M, Alabama, Kentucky, and Tennessee and then losing to Auburn in the SEC Championship Game gives us 84% and then slots us into a 9 seed.

I know, I know, none of that's going to happen. But after everything we still have a narrow path to play our way in.

Good info. Thanks

DAWG61

Feb 26, 2008
A chance is what makes March Madness so fun. Best tournament in any sport and it isn't close.

msstate7

Nov 27, 2008
NET is just one metric and more of a starting point. Some differences between us:

1) We're 3-10 away from home. Even among the flawed teams that comprise the bubble, that is very bad. They're a respectable 7-7

2) Their best win was a 16-pt win on the road at Alabama. Our best win was a 1-pt win at home over that same team.

3) Nearly all of their losses came in a row. I don't know if they were missing a key player or something, but they could get a bump if that's the case.

4) I really don't think they have much of a shot anyway.

2 of those 7 in a row were home losses to SC and Missouri

DawgatAuburn

Apr 25, 2006
Which tournament? Surely you don't mean the NCAAs. They are nowhere close to making it.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login