Putin at the Olympics

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
I was just watching the opening ceremonies, and the Ukrainian national team marched in with Putin sitting there in the stands watching them. Wish they had all stopped and flipped him off in unison.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
These Olympics don't interest me.
Maybe it's the volume of alternative streaming options, maybe it's my age, maybe it's a worse product, maybe it's the covid restrictions, or maybe it's a mix of all the above and more.

I used to live for the Olympics, both summer and winter.
I want to say I am not interested due to the politics this time around, but the Olympics has always had political influence and challenges so I don't think that's one of the reasons why I don't care this time around.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
It’s hard for me just because of the time difference. Going to suck for the World Cup too.

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
These Olympics don't interest me.
Maybe it's the volume of alternative streaming options, maybe it's my age, maybe it's a worse product, maybe it's the covid restrictions, or maybe it's a mix of all the above and more.

I used to live for the Olympics, both summer and winter.
I want to say I am not interested due to the politics this time around, but the Olympics has always had political influence and challenges so I don't think that's one of the reasons why I don't care this time around.

Same here, just happened to have it on with volume muted while listening to some music. Btw, how about that Saudi Arabia winter olympic team. Lol. Russians just came in, and of course Pukin stood up all by himself.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Yeah I think a lot of that has turned me off also. Maybe also a lot of the politics thrown in on top of it. Which Olympics have always had something political but seems like so many of athletes are doing something now. I for one like to just watch sports to get away from politics. And the Olympics was a way for countries to come together and just compete snd forget about the politics. Now that's what it ends up being most about.

dawgnabit

Oct 13, 2016
I hope Putin sits on someone’s upright ski pole while he’s there

Olympics have always had geopolitical issues going on but the IOC putting in China with everything going on there is definitely making it hard to watch. And the time change isn’t helping. I have my YouTubetv set to record all the events we want to watch but knowing the winners takes the thrill out of it

oh yeah

Aug 28, 2017
Btw, how about that Saudi Arabia winter olympic team. Lol.

I've always said the best way to make the winter Olympics is to gain citizenship (or whatever) for a warm weather nation and compete in Alpine skiing.

BeardoMSU

Jul 9, 2013
I was just watching the opening ceremonies, and the Ukrainian national team marched in with Putin sitting there in the stands watching them. Wish they had all stopped and flipped him off in unison.

Why tf would someone downvote this, lol?

EngDawg

Mar 29, 2016
I’m not as interested in the Olympics as I used to be, but I would definitely be watching if it wasn’t being held in China. Not going to support the CCP’s propaganda show.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
I’m not as interested in the Olympics as I used to be, but I would definitely be watching if it wasn’t being held in China. Not going to support the CCP’s propaganda show.

It's NBC that is television the games. Besides the opening and closing ceremonies, the games could largely be held at any number of locations and a random US viewer wouldn't know the difference.
...I guess the announcer saying stuff in Mandarin is a clue, but even then pick an Asian country with snow and most here wouldn't know if it's there or China.

Am I missing something here? I don't see the host country coming into play for actual events or medal ceremonies, which are the important things that people will watch.

We had a few minutes after a movie last night so I turned on peacock and we watched some curling since that was all that was on until women's snowboarding. My kids got into it because how can you now when you watch someone throwing themselves into the air like that?

IBleedMaroonDawg

Nov 12, 2007
I never really watched the Winter Games until a few years ago, I like several winter events but any Olympic Games are political messes now. I'm not going down that slope but the politics along with the huge sums of money spent have ruined the Games

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
This is awesome. And 50% of our country won't say a peep.
[TWEET]1489578149507698689[/TWEET]

patdog

May 28, 2007
Dutch reporter gets strong armed off the air in the middle of his commentary by Chinese thugs police for no apparent reason. Move along, nothing to see here.

patdog

May 28, 2007
The winter games are much better than the summer games and the only ones I've watched for 20 years. But I'm not watching much of this one.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login