QB issues.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
Rogers is not good enough to start in the SEC unless he is running the Leach air raid. However, according to the portal rankings, he is currently the 9th rated best QB in the portal. Unless we can get one of the 8 above him, do we ask him to come back?

I will say…I think we will get one of the 8 above him if we want one of them.

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Insanity, right? I love accurate passing QBs, especially in this day and age of MuH dUaL tHrEaT, but Rogers is a mediocre G5 QB at best who played up, like you said, in the Air Raid.

So to answer your question - NO. He chose to leave, it's on him. At this point, we're better off developing Parson.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
Rogers is not good enough to start in the SEC unless he is running the Leach air raid. However, according to the portal rankings, he is currently the 9th rated best QB in the portal. Unless we can get one of the 8 above him, do we ask him to come back?

Yeah, see.. you don't know that. The last staff was horrible at every part of teaching the scheme. That won't be held against Rogers by anybody looking. It's why he is CB'd to Washington.

Tractorman

Mar 15, 2009
Yeah, see.. you don't know that. The last staff was horrible at every part of teaching the scheme. That won't be held against Rogers by anybody looking. It's why he is CB'd to Washington.
I would bet if you take every starting QB in the SEC this year and throw a 15 yard out route from the far hash, Rogers would have the best hang time!

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I would bet if you take every starting QB in the SEC this year and throw a 15 yard out route from the far hash, Rogers would have the best hang time!
And evidently, the Washington coaches are just horrible at gauging talent. Not sure how they ever became the #2 team in the USA and in the playoffs with that horrible staff.

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
I watched the PAC 12 championship game. Im not sure Rogers could make half of the throws Penix made. I know he couldn’t make the other half.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I watched the PAC 12 championship game. Im not sure Rogers could make half of the throws Penix made. I know he couldn’t make the other half.
And evidently, the Washington coaches are just horrible at gauging talent. Not sure how they ever became the #2 team in the USA and in the playoffs with that horrible staff.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Tractorman

Mar 15, 2009
So your whole argument is that the staff knew talent when they saw it and then suddenly became stupid? Really?
Nope, never called them stupid, and never said they are horrible at gauging talent. You took my statement about SEC QBS on a 15 yard out challenge and saying Washington is # 2 by signing Penix and deduced that I have those two opinions. Am I correct in that assumption?

BirdPuppy

Aug 5, 2023
And I can assure you it is more than Washington trying to pull him.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
He will be very good behind a great pass pro offensive line. If he doesn't have that, all bets are off.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
And I can assure you it is more than Washington trying to pull him.
Well it's either one of two things. More than 1 school is bidding on him or there's interest but nobody has pulled the trigger yet. If I have a seasoned (good) offensive line I'd consider him for a back up or a bridge until I could get my future QB ready. He's serviceable in just the right role,

OG Goat Holder

Sep 30, 2022
Some of your guys are going to meltdown when Washington is a top 10-15 team again next year with will as the starting QB
Sorry, but I just don't see it. It's one thing to talk about say, Dillon Johnson or RaRa Thomas and say, "hey we didn't need them anyway". Fans do that sort of thing, but those guys are D1 athletes in every way. Rogers doesn't have the physical attributes necessary. He was coached very well by his dad in high school, running the Air Raid, and make the smart decision to play for Leach. In other words, like a Texas recruit who is maxed out. Perhaps if Washington is running a variation of the Air Raid, and has a good OL and WRs, he can be serviceable there. But he's not going to be the reason Washington is a top 10-15 team, he'd just be a party to it. I can't see them being as good as they are this year without Penix carrying a big part of the load.

And we will see in a month if they hold up against a real DL. I still say the PAC-12 was badly overrated. And to this point, they'll be playing B1G DLs next year.

HomeBoyDawg

Oct 22, 2013
Look, I don't ask for much but can we not turn CB into a verb?
good morning vietnam GIF
Or an acronym?

Reactions: HailStout

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012

I think in general Will is good enough that most teams shouldn't say no to him. If you have a good OL, Will is going to be better than a lot of backups.

I think it's a little different for us though because of the potential for locker room issues. If we strike out in the portal, we need to develop Parson. It's pretty likely that Will will be better than Parson for the first part of the season. But it's also pretty certain that Will won't be as good as we need by the end of the season, and Parson at least has a chance, and Parson will have eligibility in 2025, so that's another reason to develop him in 2024 if we're going to have a down year regardless.

If Will at the end of the day wanted to come back knowing that he isn't going to be the starter unless Parson is a disaster or unless he shows something we don't think he's physically capable of, great. But I don't think that'd be the best thing for him or us.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Insanity, right? I love accurate passing QBs, especially in this day and age of MuH dUaL tHrEaT, but Rogers is a mediocre G5 QB at best who played up, like you said, in the Air Raid.

So to answer your question - NO. He chose to leave, it's on him. At this point, we're better off developing Parson.
I am convinced you were hit hard, think this is 2008, and are confusing Rogers with Tyson Lee.

RockyDog

Jan 2, 2023
I am convinced you were hit hard, think this is 2008, and are confusing Rogers with Tyson Lee.
I am convinced that some of y’all watched Noodle thru some bizzaro lens. What part of floating 10 yard outs and not seeing receivers break open in the middle of the field has you so enamored with him?

You want to bring Tyson into the conversation. He could have made a living off 5 yard passes to his running back but he actually threw the ball downfield.

StateCollege

Oct 17, 2022

Just a quick update, Rogers is now ranked the 13th best QB in the portal.

He's behind QBs from Toledo, North Texas and Ohio (Bobcats).

SouthFarmchicken

Oct 20, 2016
I am convinced that some of y’all watched Noodle thru some bizzaro lens. What part of floating 10 yard outs and not seeing receivers break open in the middle of the field has you so enamored with him?

You want to bring Tyson into the conversation. He could have made a living off 5 yard passes to his running back but he actually threw the ball downfield.
Wasn’t it funny that Milroe’s best play in the SEC championship game was a 9 yard sideways underhanded pass while being chased? A pass with that velocity and accuracy couldn’t be thrown by Rogers protected in the pocket.

Last edited:

ronpolk

May 6, 2009
Sorry, but I just don't see it. It's one thing to talk about say, Dillon Johnson or RaRa Thomas and say, "hey we didn't need them anyway". Fans do that sort of thing, but those guys are D1 athletes in every way. Rogers doesn't have the physical attributes necessary. He was coached very well by his dad in high school, running the Air Raid, and make the smart decision to play for Leach. In other words, like a Texas recruit who is maxed out. Perhaps if Washington is running a variation of the Air Raid, and has a good OL and WRs, he can be serviceable there. But he's not going to be the reason Washington is a top 10-15 team, he'd just be a party to it. I can't see them being as good as they are this year without Penix carrying a big part of the load.

And we will see in a month if they hold up against a real DL. I still say the PAC-12 was badly overrated. And to this point, they'll be playing B1G DLs next year.
I’m certainly not expecting him to be a heisman finalist next year or anything but I think he’s more than serviceable as a college QB if he’s in the right situation. And I think Washington will be a good situation.

greenbean.sixpack

Oct 6, 2012

Lebby's offense is based on getting rid of the ball quickly, that's not a strength of Will. Of course, Leach did not believe in throwing it quickly, he believed there was always a play.

Perd Hapley

Sep 30, 2022
Hahahahaha. He most certainly did not. 4.8 career AY/A. Only 4.0 his senior year under Mullen. Will Rogers has a career 6.9 AY/A…and was at 7.4 in 2021, his best year under Leach.

Generally, whenever Lee threw down the field, it resulted in a touchdown pass….to the other team. Such is life when you’re 5’8” and can’t see a damn thing over the OL without rolling out. You live off screens and throwing it sideways.

IMG_5433.jpeg

Last edited:
Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login