Question…

vandaldawg

Feb 23, 2008
What is the maximum amount of egg bowl losses that a given coach gets regardless of context? For instance, could you go 11 - 1 5 years in a row, but lose to OM each of those 5 and keep your job at state?

QuaoarsKing

Mar 11, 2008
There is no "rule" and it would greatly depend on how good Ole Miss was during those games.

Like last year doesn't count very much against Leach because Ole Miss finished the year ranked #11, which we've only been better than once in our entire school history (1940).

SchrodingersDawg

Sep 15, 2020
I haven’t lived in Mississippi for over 27 years now so I don’t deal with the rivalry on a personal level much at all. Frankly, I don’t use OM as much of a measuring stick for anything. I just want us to be competitive and if we have breakout seasons here and there that’s cool. I can remember when we struggled to win 3 or 4 games a year in football. Regardless of how everyone feels after last night, we are already in a much better place than that.

Last edited:

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
What is the maximum amount of egg bowl losses that a given coach gets regardless of context? For instance, could you go 11 - 1 5 years in a row, but lose to OM each of those 5 and keep your job at state?
Moot question.. We ain't going11-1 5 years in a row and tsun ain't beating 11 win teams5,years in a row. Losing egg bowls with regularity is gonna be a combination of suck. Winning egg bowls is no guarantee either. See Moorhead and Cut.

Reactions: Trojanbulldog19

vandaldawg

Feb 23, 2008
Is Ole Miss the measuring stick for success?
It’s one of them, yeah.
Moot question.. We ain't going11-1 5 years in a row and tsun ain't beating 11 win teams5,years in a row. Losing egg bowls with regularity is gonna be a combination of suck. Winning egg bowls is no guarantee either. See Moorhead and Cut.
I’m not saying we would ever do that. I guess a better way to pose the question is: what is the maximum amount of losses in a row to OM that you would allow before pulling the plug on a coach.

PBRME

Feb 12, 2004
Is that right?

Wasn't there just a post about WSU not beating Washington yet he won 11 there?
You’re not following what I’m saying. I’m talking about winning the West, winning the SEC, and winning a National title. If you can’t win your state then odds are you’re not winning any of the rest.

DesotoCountyDawg

Nov 16, 2005
It really doesn’t matter. If Leach was undefeated against Ole Miss and had the same record he does now the narrative would be the same on here.

Reactions: MagnoliaHunter

Maroon13

Sep 29, 2022
I want to say in that scenario, State would retain the coach. But, the way State fans turned on Mullen, I'm not so sure. (I know Mullen didn't go 11-1. That's more of a reference to fans being unsatisfied.)

How about this..... would you guys be happy with Gundy if you were a OkState fan?

OkSt had a losing season his first year but have won 7 or more since. Gundy is 3-14 v Oklahoma.

patdog

May 28, 2007
It all depends on how many other games you win. But I’d think if Leach loses to them this year, he better beat them next year or win at least 9 games.

BingleCocktail

May 25, 2014
TRICK QUESTION -- LOSING TO OLD PISS IS UNACCEPATBLE EVEN ONE TIME IN A ROW

THIS IS CHICKENOUS THINKING THAT THE CHEATENOUS SLUTS IN OXFORD WANT YOU TO SUCCUMB

DONUT LET THAT HAPPEN

MississippiTexan

Jun 11, 2014
I would say it depends on how the rest of the seasons are and how we look overall. By your example, if we go 11-1 5 years in a row but lose to OM every year, if anyone says they would fire a coach at State for doing that then they are crazy. We shouldn't base the success of a season on the results of just one game, even that one.

I'm not saying I don't think that game is important or that I don't want to beat them ever year. However, would I make a deal with the devil for us to go 10-2 or 11-1 every year if one of those losses was to OM each year? Yes, I'd make that deal because I'd give up beating OM for State to have great seasons.

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
Beating Mississippi in anything is a significant measuring stick to me. It’s not everything, but it is very important. I dont enjoy the egg bowl or any time we play the in any other sport. I literally dread any contest that involves those miserable slime balls. When we win I only get a sense of relief, not really joy, and when we lose it makes me want to throw up. I also don’t get over it very quickly. I have been around Bulldog sports longer than many of you have been alive so I have dealt with them on a personal level for a long time. I know a very few nice ones, but in general I do not care for them, their elitist attitude, or their lifestyle. I see younger fans being more tolerant and accepting of them but if they are observant and stick around they will learn in time. I No longer go to the egg bowl as I just don’t want to be around them no matter how the game goes and I usually stay away from games in other sports where they are the opposite other than a few baseball games. I am sure that my feelings are more extreme than most but that’s just me and I’m just telling you how the cow eats the cabbage.

Reactions: 60sdog and msdawg90

POTUS

Sep 29, 2022
Slight thread hijack: if we win out besides the Egg Bowl is it a good season? I say yes because that means we beat A&M, Arkansas, Auburn & Georgia and that’s pretty good. Plus we’d be 8-4. Nothing to sneeze at.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Slight thread hijack: if we win out besides the Egg Bowl is it a good season? I say yes because that means we beat A&M, Arkansas, Auburn & Georgia and that’s pretty good. Plus we’d be 8-4. Nothing to sneeze at.
I would say pretty good but not good. Certainly 8-4 when we draw UGA from the east is normally a good result, but this is what should be a peak year for us and we got LSU at a good time. So pretty good result that's not good just because we missed opportunities. Plus looking inept against UK leaves a bad taste. But 8-4, regardless of how we get there is a result that should win fans over even if it wasn't great. I don't think it will, but it should.

Oct 17, 2022
It’s one of them, yeah.

I’m not saying we would ever do that. I guess a better way to pose the question is: what is the maximum amount of losses in a row to OM that you would allow before pulling the plug on a coach.
this year isn’t a peak year, next year is.

instead of the #2 SOS , we have a pretty soft schedule, similar to ole miss had this year. Due to the Covid year we will return nearly everyone and we will have Will, the running backs and receivers as fourth year players.

9-10 wins should be expected next year.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
It’s one of them, yeah.

It's a secondary measuring stick. If we had a coach that won between 7 and 9 games each year and averaged 8 while losing to Ole Miss consistently, that would put a bitter taste on it but that's still a coach that should be secure in his job.

If we're averaging between 6-8, but beating Ole Miss consistently, that's a coach that is performing at a minimum level, and beating Ole Miss could be the difference between keeping a job and losing it, although context still matters. If Ole Miss is in a bad stretch and going Vandy and 7 in the SEC every year, not sure beating Ole Miss helps as much.

Ibdancin

Feb 9, 2018
I want to say in that scenario, State would retain the coach. But, the way State fans turned on Mullen, I'm not so sure. (I know Mullen didn't go 11-1. That's more of a reference to fans being unsatisfied.)

How about this..... would you guys be happy with Gundy if you were a OkState fan?

OkSt had a losing season his first year but have won 7 or more since. Gundy is 3-14 v Oklahoma.

Exactly.

He built the program and recruits know what they are signing up for! Build a program!

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
this year isn’t a peak year, next year is.

instead of the #2 SOS , we have a pretty soft schedule, similar to ole miss had this year. Due to the Covid year we will return nearly everyone and we will have Will, the running backs and receivers as fourth year players.

9-10 wins should be expected next year.

We have a lot of OL and DL that you are counting on sticking around that may not.

On the OL,
Sharp is gone.
Cole Smith would be a 6th year OL.
Kam Jones would be a 6th year OL.
Dollar Bill will be a 6th year OL. I would hope we can convince at least one of them to stay, but could easily see all three leaving.
Nick Jones will be a 5th year Sr (presumably he comes back)

We have some young players that should be ok (Albert Reese and Percy Lewis will hopefully be able to fill some holes), but certainly not guaranteed we won't take a step back next year on the OL.

On the DL & LB,
Tyrus Wheat is gone.
Randy Charlton is gone.
Bookie will be a 6th year.
Cam Young will be a 6th year
Crumedy will be a 6th year
Jordan Davis will be a 6th year
Pickering will be a 5th year (I guess he comes back?)
De'Montey Russell will be a 5th year

I don't see any standout younger players on the DL. Unless we get some NIL money to keep a lot of these players that have another year of eligibility, I think we are going to be in bad shape in the front 7 next year.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
If you're the head coach at Mississippi State and go 11-1 five years in a row, even if those 5 losses are Egg Bowls, you could still probably walk onto the field and kick Jak and not get fired.

Oct 17, 2022
Yes and with a Covid year all of those players will be back, they aren’t going to be drafted. We will return most of our players next year other than wheat Forbes and Charlton

with the soft schedule we are looking at 9-10 wins

next Year is the peak year

Pilgrimdawg

Aug 30, 2018
I think older fans ( I am one ) place a lot of importance on winning the egg bowl. I don’t know, but suspect the folks giving the most big money are older fans. Connect the dots.

johnson86-1

Aug 22, 2012
Yes and with a Covid year all of those players will be back, they aren’t going to be drafted. We will return most of our players next year other than wheat Forbes and Charlton

with the soft schedule we are looking at 9-10 wins

next Year is the peak year
We have had plenty of players leave despite not having a good draft grade. Bear went undrafted (I have no clue if he let somebody convince him his draft grade was BS). Beniquez Brown left rather than use his RS Sr year (he was smart and knew the league was a long shot but apparently just wanted to take his shot and move on). I think if we don't provide some NIL money, a lot of the 6th year players will just go take their shot. Not sure about our particular players, but a lot of college football players are just convinced they are NFL caliber regardless of the evidence and regardless of what people tell them. When I was in school I had a friend play at Ole Miss. Talked to him after the egg bowl one year and he was talking about quitting because he was just tired of being around some of the players. Said there were several second string players that would not step foot back on Ole Miss's campus because they were "going to start getting ready for the League". That was one of his examples of how stupid and hard to deal with some of the players were.

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login