Question about Coach Prime

Sep 15, 2009
He has clearly made a huge deal about historical black universities not getting a fair shake etc., and sold the number #1 recruit in the nation on the idea that sometimes you have to shun the blue bloods in order to take a stand for the HBCUs because otherwise they'll never get better, etc.

So, would it be hypocritical for him to bolt to blue blood college to go coach there now? Would anyone call him out on it?

I should add that I love watching what he has done, and I take no issue with him using that argument in recruiting etc. But I'm wondering how he would navigate this about face.

thatsbaseball

May 29, 2007
If he stays at JSU he may be the answer to bringing some sanity to the NIL debacle. We all know there's something inherently wrong with NIL but nobody knows where to start fixing it. Maybe if some black colleges (led by Coach Prime) start raising enough hell about their inability to compete for recruits because of the NIL somebody will take note of how unfair an edge it gives wealthy schools over their poorer brethren. Fire away .

wsjmsu75

Sep 29, 2017
He has clearly made a huge deal about historical black universities not getting a fair shake etc., and sold the number #1 recruit in the nation on the idea that sometimes you have to shun the blue bloods in order to take a stand for the HBCUs because otherwise they'll never get better, etc.

So, would it be hypocritical for him to bolt to blue blood college to go coach there now? Would anyone call him out on it?

I should add that I love watching what he has done, and I take no issue with him using that argument in recruiting etc. But I'm wondering how he would navigate this about face.

Oh certainly on the recruiting thing. I mean, we need even more in state competition. ***

mcdawg22

Sep 18, 2004
I’m torn. If he didn’t win in 3 years just JSU just keep him? Probably not. It’s a dog eat dog world in college coaching so I can’t blame anyone for taking a higher profile gig. But I do think there is some hypocrisy especially if he left now. If he stays a couple of more years and continues to elevate J State’s profile he gets a pass. I mean hell, every college coach is a hypocrite. They all tell their players to come play for them because they are the best thing for them, then bolt a year later.

aTotal360

Nov 12, 2009
Meh. He'll produce some sort of farewell video of himself addressing the team while crying. He'll hit it all the high points and pull at heart strings with lines like "I hate leaving this place, but the Lord has called me elsewhere" followed by "I hope I left this place better than I found it" capped with "who am I to go against God's wishes".

It will all be about crafting a message that will get you in trouble if you doubt the authenticity. He's a smart guy and knows how to play the game.

Trojanbulldog19

Aug 25, 2014
Yes but you think he is being real? Prime has mostly always about Deon and everything he does he makes sure he is in front of a camera or to get in front of a camera and make a headline to further himself

Last edited:

llmsudawg

Mar 3, 2008
Folks, coach Prime makes a percentage on all revenue the football program makes at JSU. All the ticket sales, all the concessions, all the merch, he gets his cut. Don't be fooled, Prime is a business man and it's not all about football. I doubt GTech is going to give him the same deals he's getting from JSU.

olblue

Mar 11, 2018

He would navigate it by putting it in the rear view mirror. He would be recruiting HS football players, not rivals’ fans.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
So, would it be hypocritical for him to bolt to blue blood college to go coach there now?
Would anyone call him out on it?
But I'm wondering how he would navigate this about face.

- It would be a glaringly obvious inconsistency.
- Many would call him out on it.
- He would navigate it by ignoring as much as possible and redirecting or justifying when he cant ignore.

mstateglfr

Feb 24, 2008
Folks, coach Prime makes a percentage on all revenue the football program makes at JSU. All the ticket sales, all the concessions, all the merch, he gets his cut. Don't be fooled, Prime is a business man and it's not all about football. I doubt GTech is going to give him the same deals he's getting from JSU.

If he moves to a P5 school, he wouldnt need to get a % of all that stuff because his salary would more than make up for it. He is paid $300k at JSU. So $300k plus those incentive is still a small % of what Collins makes at GT($3.2mm).
https://www.si.com/college/2020/10/16/deion-sanders-jackson-state-contract-details

Go Budaw

Aug 22, 2012
Maybe we can have the discussion when any blue blood becomes dumb enough to hire him. Before that time I’m not really sure it matters.

HumpDawgy

Apr 6, 2010
He will be ok with all that AFLAC money as long as they stop stealing his wallet at halftime.

dawgphd

May 16, 2008
Maybe we can have the discussion when any blue blood becomes dumb enough to hire him. Before that time I’m not really sure it matters.

At a HBCU, he seems like the next best thing. But pulling the switch on hiring him at at a blue blood is going to seem like a good idea until it actually happens.

I read this not long ago on ESPN. - Rule 1. Prime is only about Prime. Rule 2. If you hire him and think Prime is about you, see rule 1.

BigDawg0074

Oct 12, 2016
It would be hypocritical and draw some ire but none of that really matters to very many people in the long run. If he ends up failing elsewhere it will be part of the list of mistakes. If he prevails elsewhere it will be forgotten.

SirBarksalot

May 28, 2007
Could you blame a guy for jumping to a program in a town that has an actual working water system?

peewee.sixpack

Nov 4, 2014

True but the man is donating half his salary to upgrade the football facility. I doubt there is very many coaches out there doing the same.

archdog

Aug 22, 2012
Yes but you think he is being real? Prime has mostly always about Deon and everything he does he makes sure he is in front of a camera or to get in front of a camera and make a headline to further himself

I will just mention, his sales pitch on HBCU schools is hollow and it would not be an issue if he took a different job, like AU next year. BECAUSE, all of his players helped elevate that program, AND they all can transfer at any moment if they so wished.

So, sales pitch is a winner, and the negative is removed because they all can transfer if anything happens. Done and Done. Fair to everyone.

Ralph Cramden

Jan 7, 2020
Clean drinking water, less crime and a huge raise. Jacktown is gonna meltdown if he bolts tho. But there is a lot of smoke about it. Will he succeed there ?

Cantdoitsal

Sep 26, 2022
JSU's crootin' is off the charts compared to other SWAC teams since Prime Time's arrival and he's whippin' their asses hard. Most folks outside of North Texas however don't know the scandals with that school he started where he made some selfish decisions and misled many parents and youngsters. I must admit though I've always pulled for JSU and enjoy seeing them kick ***. Intriguing theatre indeed IMO and will be interesting to see how it all plays out and what Prime Time will end up doing in the future. He's a very motivated person and that can not be denied.

ckDOG

Dec 11, 2007
What HC isn't hypocritical?

Nearly every single one will fill a teenager's head with ******** about family, going where your heart is, and on only bolt the moment a better situation or paycheck presents itself...then probably ***** about how money and transfer rules makes their jobs harder.

Dawgg

Sep 9, 2012
He will be ok with all that AFLAC money as long as they stop stealing his wallet at halftime.
Ya know... I watch those commercials and I think to myself... Nick Saban is probably the greatest college coach of all time and makes $10 million a year coaching... how much is AFLAC paying him to yell "HEY! STOP THAT GOAT!"?

Get unlimited access today.

Pick the right plan for you.

Already a member? Login